We need a rejection bell

Coincidence

Latvia, I feel for you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either they are fast readers, or the first line was enough, ie they didn't like the subject matter?
They are seriously looking for a reason to flunk you! And it's not out of malice! They're just busy. Remember what I was telling you about the three-paragraph format, Chase?

Fail. Next. Three seconds expended.

Oh my God I could have been shouting everything with a Scottish accent this whole time.
Why do I realize this the second-to-last day I have it?!!!

***[super-Scottish] Earth and water. Oh you'll find plenty down there.***

In heritage interpretation, we talk about streakers, strollers and studiers--streakers spend an average of 3 seconds reading your interpretive panel, strollers spend 30 seconds, and the studiers might give you 2 minutes. A good interpreter designs their panels to communicate their message in 3 seconds or less. I reckon most agents are streakers, and we have to do the same in our query--communicate just how awesome our book is in three seconds or less. (yeah, like that's SOOO easy to do! :eek:)

In heritage interpretation, we talk about streakers, strollers and studiers--streakers spend an average of 3 seconds reading your interpretive panel, strollers spend 30 seconds, and the studiers might give you 2 minutes. A good interpreter designs their panels to communicate their message in 3 seconds or less. I reckon most agents are streakers, and we have to do the same in our query--communicate just how awesome our book is in three seconds or less. (yeah, like that's SOOO easy to do! :eek:)
Gonna give this a try... ah-hem:

"RAWR! BOOK! SO AWESOME!"

1.88 seconds.
It can be done, people.

I just had the most wonderful rejection:

Many thanks for sending me the first three chapters of your novel NOBLE BEGINNINGS. I did read and enjoy this and think it was well-written with strong characters and an engaging storyline. It had that nice balance of good characterisation mixed with action and a fast-moving plot. I thought the parkour aspects of it were fabulous – really strong, different and original – I've not seen the discipline detailed in fiction previously!

However, while I did enjoy reading this I didn't quite love it quite enough to take it any further. That’s not to say another agent may not absolutely adore it.

------------

Am I crazy not to be sad. I actually don't feel low for a change when I get a rejection!

I am going to start resubmitting again this time with the added armour of the endorsement from Sebastien.

Many thanks for sending me the first three chapters of your novel NOBLE BEGINNINGS. I did read and enjoy this and think it was well-written with strong characters and an engaging storyline. It had that nice balance of good characterisation mixed with action and a fast-moving plot. I thought the parkour aspects of it were fabulous – really strong, different and original – I've not seen the discipline detailed in fiction previously!

However, while I did enjoy reading this I didn't quite love it quite enough to take it any further. That’s not to say another agent may not absolutely adore it.

------------

Am I crazy not to be sad. I actually don't feel low for a change when I get a rejection!

I am going to start resubmitting again this time with the added armour of the endorsement from Sebastien.
That's nice to have. You should be encouraged! Keep it up....

------------

Was that Julie? I got one with a personalized response as well! No wonder it took her three months to get back to me, if she's providing feedback like this!

Congratulations! I was also overjoyed for such a pleasant rejection, and will be getting back to submitting.

Was that Julie? I got one with a personalized response as well! No wonder it took her three months to get back to me, if she's providing feedback like this!
You're all on first-name terms with agents? But how....? Hmmmm...I must be doing something wrong...
6dd5f9e30e54d7201224d05c27e64e0a.jpg

You're all on first-name terms with agents? But how....? Hmmmm...I must be doing something wrong...
6dd5f9e30e54d7201224d05c27e64e0a.jpg
Shit. The other day. I was all like — is that Julie? That is Julie! Hey! Hey! 'Mere.

No I just got the letter this morning.

Okay, so now I feel totally left out, 'cause I didn't submit to Julie...However I got a standard 'not my cup of tea' rejection from a Juliet this week. Does that count? ;)
And did Romeo have anything to say? Nar, didn't think so. Maybe I should check my emails again, or am I getting the silent treatment? ;)

Add another one, from 5 months ago. #130 submission for previous novel # 3 Merlin and Ceridwen :(

DING! Got a rejection a couple of weeks ago. Standard form rejection with the blanks filled in.

According to Submittable, one of my stories is in the review process, so I'm expecting that rejection any day now. But I've got the next market lined up for it.

I won't hear for another month for a few more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coincidence

Latvia, I feel for you..

Back