We need a rejection bell

Coincidence

Latvia, I feel for you..

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more for me. I can't tell if this is personalized or not. Kind of hoping not.

Thanks so much for sending along the sample pages of Deception. I’m sorry to say, though, that I just wasn’t as completely drawn in by the material as much as I had hoped. What with my reservations, I’d better bow out.

Thanks so much for contacting me, though! I really appreciate it, and wish you the best of luck.
I see what you mean — it really could go either way. I feel like if they were ground to draft a form rejection letter, they would have written a better one, you know? It feels jotted down and shot off — this may well be a personal rejection.

Aah well..it's a nice rejection :D

"Thank you so much for sharing your book with me, I truly appreciate your interest. I've had a chance to review and consider your work and can see how much you've invested in this. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm the right agent for this particular project, so I must pass. But I send this with gratitude and all good wishes for the future."

Sent at 3 am. Agents really work overtime:eek:

Four rejections over two novels in the last 2 days. Situation... normal!

So out of 1,500 authors that submitted to Hodderscape, I wasn't one of the ones they went with. That one stings, as I was allowed to submit the full MS of both book 1 and book 2, to them.

WHEW. Deep breath. Okay, I'm good. Life goes on!

Now they know the jaw-dropping plot twist I've kept under wraps for five years, but the good news is they don't care! Hahahaha... eh heh... WAAAAAAHHHH!

tantrum.jpg

So out of 1,500 authors that submitted to Hodderscape, I wasn't one of the ones they went with. That one stings, as I was allowed to submit the full MS of both book 1 and book 2, to them.

WHEW. Deep breath. Okay, I'm good. Life goes on!

Now they know the jaw-dropping plot twist I've kept under wraps for five years, but the good news is they don't care! Hahahaha... eh heh... WAAAAAAHHHH!

tantrum.jpg

I can hear the wailing in my head. Make it stop! For the love of all things pure please make it stop!

That is really rough, Jason. :( Here's hoping you find someone that appreciates it!

Last edited:
The thing about writing short stories is that you have so much less of you invested in each one that the rejections hurt less. Also you have more bites at the biscuit. Also, because you can realistically have several of them submitted to several markets at any one time, you can always think you're still in with a chance. I recommend it. One of the things that scares me about writing a novel is the huge effort and correspondingly huge risk involved. All eggs in that basket. I will do it one day, I'm just not as brave as you lot...In the meantime, I feel your pain.

But there's still no excuse for that wailing baby picture, @Jason Byrne. That's just being self-indulgent.

Yeah, Marc. I've been watching you get your short stories out there, and have been thinking yours is a good model. I have decided to take a brief break from the novel grind to do some short stories...for all the reasons you've just outlined. And because I had some ideas that just didn't warrant a novel, but I'm feeling the emotional need to not have everything pinned on the one novel that's ready for submission.

Either they are fast readers, or the first line was enough, ie they didn't like the subject matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coincidence

Latvia, I feel for you..

Back