Help! Looking for an agent to take me all the way to Disney!

Inkitt

Reality Check You Tube Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady M

Basic
Feb 27, 2018
West Bromwich
Hello Peeps and good luck to your all as you make your way through the maze of writing and publishing. With 8 books behind me I have an unusual and innovative work which I would like to see as an animated film, preferably with Disney. After much research I know that they only accept work through an agent. Those of you with experience know that this is rather like a Catch 22 situation or Mission Impossible. Agents are usually full, or your work is unsuitable for their books or some other pathetic excuse and they will suggest you go to some book or other and look for publishers. Likewise publishers want you to have an agent... Any suggestions? Any agents willing to have a look at my masterpiece? Any help, ideas appreciated.

My suggestion which has nothing behind it but logic and a childhood in California is to look for agencies like William Morris.

William Morris

William Morris represents every type of talent but I learned of them because they represented actors and actresses in Hollywood. They have a literary agency now -- may have for some time for all I know -- and it makes sense to me that screenplay/movie/development possibilities would factor in heavily to their decision to represent someone's work. All of these movie people, still mostly run out of Southern California.

There are other literary agencies based in Southern California and they often mention that their agents have a film development background. None immediately spring to mind but I would look for other SoCal agencies similar to William Morris.

If we knew how to get an agent, we'd all be in clover! It's just a game. Send out, keep sending out till someone loves your work enough to take it on. I think almost any agent would try to sell to a film company if they could see the potetial. I don't think there are any short cuts.
My books would make great films. I think...:cool: that's me in California. One day.
Today in West Cork the snow is melting, and hopefully soon my water pipes will thaw. No water since Tuesday. No access to roads without a tractor. But today the sun is smiling.

Buy yourself a copy of the Writers and Artists Yearbook, generate a list of agents you feel would be a hood fit and start sending it out. Sounds like you already have a publishing track record and if your new work is as good as you say you should soon get some positive responses. Good luck!

My suggestion which has nothing behind it but logic and a childhood in California is to look for agencies like William Morris.

William Morris

William Morris represents every type of talent but I learned of them because they represented actors and actresses in Hollywood. They have a literary agency now -- may have for some time for all I know -- and it makes sense to me that screenplay/movie/development possibilities would factor in heavily to their decision to represent someone's work. All of these movie people, still mostly run out of Southern California.

There are other literary agencies based in Southern California and they often mention that their agents have a film development background. None immediately spring to mind but I would look for other SoCal agencies similar to William Morris.
Thank you!

If we knew how to get an agent, we'd all be in clover! It's just a game. Send out, keep sending out till someone loves your work enough to take it on. I think almost any agent would try to sell to a film company if they could see the potetial. I don't think there are any short cuts.
My books would make great films. I think...:cool: that's me in California. One day.
Today in West Cork the snow is melting, and hopefully soon my water pipes will thaw. No water since Tuesday. No access to roads without a tractor. But today the sun is smiling.
Thank you. Yes, I agree with you. I just keep sending them out and live in hopes. See you in sunny California!

Buy yourself a copy of the Writers and Artists Yearbook, generate a list of agents you feel would be a hood fit and start sending it out. Sounds like you already have a publishing track record and if your new work is as good as you say you should soon get some positive responses. Good luck!
Already have copies of both THE WRITER'S HANDBOOK and WRITERS AND ARTISTS plus online sites now. Guess, i just have to keep going. Thank you.

Clearly you want the biggest and the best, but how about approaching an animation school and seeing if there is any interest in students doing it for a final year project (or something they do out of college hours)? You end up with a film, they end up with work they can present in their portfolios. You sound confident that you have something good (you called it 'unusual and innovative'). So take an unusual approach - find a bunch of animation students, get together with them, crowd fund it and present it to some independent film competitions. A friend has just been nominated for an award by doing just that (although, admittedly it wasn't animation).

Clearly you want the biggest and the best, but how about approaching an animation school and seeing if there is any interest in students doing it for a final year project (or something they do out of college hours)? You end up with a film, they end up with work they can present in their portfolios. You sound confident that you have something good (you called it 'unusual and innovative'). So take an unusual approach - find a bunch of animation students, get together with them, crowd fund it and present it to some independent film competitions. A friend has just been nominated for an award by doing just that (although, admittedly it wasn't animation).
That's a brilliant and innovative idea. Thank you so much. Will look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inkitt

Reality Check You Tube Tutorials

Back