Query letters

Help! The Lovely Bones

Writers' influences by gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Graham H Miller

I read a few of the threads on here about query letters. Some of them, especially on the Query Shark blog seem to me to have a different idea of what a query letter is.

The websites I look at for agents seeking new work seem to want a few sentences at most in the query letter and then a synopsis. In fact one wanted only 300 words in the synopsis so that'd be shorter than some of the query letters!

I'm guessing for the letter I just need to do "Here's my protagonist, here's his problem and this is how he solves it" approach.

Thanks!

Graham

I read a few of the threads on here about query letters. Some of them, especially on the Query Shark blog seem to me to have a different idea of what a query letter is.

The websites I look at for agents seeking new work seem to want a few sentences at most in the query letter and then a synopsis. In fact one wanted only 300 words in the synopsis so that'd be shorter than some of the query letters!

I'm guessing for the letter I just need to do "Here's my protagonist, here's his problem and this is how he solves it" approach.

Thanks!

Graham

I go for the cover letter approach.

So I think this really depends on if your agent is specific on what goes into your query. If the agent only wants three sentences, absolutely only include three sentences. But for the rest, there are some general guidelines, which is what you've seen in the other threads. I've seen about a half and half split of who has particular requirements and who don't.

Depends on the agent, but in general a query is more common in the US and is often three paragraphs. UK more often actually ask for a synopsis which is one page plus three chapters, but as usual you have to read what each agent wants.

There seem to be two kind of query letter. UK style where the letter accompanies a sample and synopsis, and US style where the query letter has to do the job of generating an invitation to submit. US agent Michael Levin on You Tube has something to say about the second kind.

I don't think he is an agent @Katie-Ellen Hazeldine . He is an author and ghost writer. I like his tutorials because he talks from an experienced, published author. I.e from our perspective.

Thanks everyone, that does clear it up! Sorry for the delay- it's the school holidays!

All those links are really good then for honing the synopsis and in general making me think better about the structure and format of the query letter (UK style) and elevator pitch!

Cheers

Graham

Tagging on to this, is the norm the first 3 chapters or the first 50 pages?

That changes with every agent. I submitted five queries this weekend and not one of them had the same requirements. Some request a few chapters, some a few pages. It's also good to keep in mind that not all chapters are built equally. Thriller genre chapters are SUPER short (like, a couple pages short), so if an agent gives me a choice between, say, the first 3 chapters or the first 25 pages, I'm picking the first 25 pages. But that's only if they give you a choice. Most will say explicitly what they want, and most of them won't have the same requirements as the others.

Thanks.
Interesting about the thriller genre.

I've had my mss critiqued (at a cost). If I follow the advice, my first 50 pages increase chapter count from 3 to 6!

It's getting near to submission quality. Perhaps I should just freeze it, send it - then see if I get any nibbles.

They say 3 chapters or 50 pages, meaning to a natural break. If you have short chapters and chapter 5 ended on page 49, you'd send 49 pages.

Thanks again.

That raises another poser!

Should the last page/line of the submission be the the hook?

Depends. For starters the usual query letter isn't even a full page, normally (although agents vary somewhat) it is three paragraphs. Often the last paragraph is about you. This is totally different from a synopsis which starts with the novel details, your contact info, then a one page synopsis and often 3 chapters.

My current method is to create a new directory for each agent I submit to. I've got some standard files, like first three chapters, that I then copy in. But I find the biggest headache is synopses (synopsises?) - 300 words, 1000 words, one page, two pages! At least with my method I've got a cast iron record of what I sent to who and when!

Graham

My current method is to create a new directory for each agent I submit to. I've got some standard files, like first three chapters, that I then copy in. But I find the biggest headache is synopses (synopsises?) - 300 words, 1000 words, one page, two pages! At least with my method I've got a cast iron record of what I sent to who and when!

Graham
Accurate record keeping is important, Graham. I've made about 150 submissions in the last seven months, recording when and what was sent, as well as if I targetted a particular agent. Researching who likes what genre at an agency could be the difference between getting somewhere and being deleted. To my surprise, I've sometimes received replies from a different agent to the one that I sent the personalised submission to - I guess that they share the workload, or perhaps my writing sample made it as far as a group discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! The Lovely Bones

Writers' influences by gender.

Back