Book Review: Query Letters to Agents Cower? Or Confidence?

Fanfare! I Woman I Admire

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OperaDivaAlix

@Rachel Caldecott-Thornton

Litopians :cool:
If putting our blood, sweat and tears into our manuscripts wasn't enough. As well as summarising your 500 A4 paged novel into a synopsis of one or two pages ONLY. ( I don't know if its just me, but I struggle the best of times to spell 'Synopsis' :rolleyes: )
If that isn't enough to fret about theres the Query Letter. For me I'm torn between the professional and personal approach.
Professional - Write a template for all Agents and then when the time comes. After you've decided which Agents you want to submit to via Writers and Artists or Agent Hunter etc. And just tweak the professional template to see fit or use the personal approach add a few little touches such as calling the Agent by their first name not 'Dear Agent' and take time to read their profiles on Agent hunter and refer to not copy what they look for in your letter, explaining how your work would personally appeal to them.

After having a chat with Pete yesterday he told me to resubmit to him. I submitted through Litopia and then emailed him because I wasn't sure if I exported my docs from Mac Pages to word, thats how much I get in a state when it comes to submissions, I actually break a sweat even for a bubbly person like me.

I apologised to him but at the same time I was glad I did email him @RedHammer because I included some more artwork for him to have a look at. It was a honest mistake and I know I wouldn't get away with it with anyone else or Agent for that matter. Thankfully Petes a easy-going, nice guy so panic over.

I would love to hear about your dilemmas when it comes to submitting to Agents.
What approach do you use regarding your Query Letters, professional? Or personal? And why?

* Feel free to share your Query Letters in this thread and maybe we can decide the best approach between us.
"A problem shared is a problem halved..." :)

@AgentPete - How important are Query Letters to you as a noteworthy Agent? Regarding submission packages as a whole.
@AgentPete - Do you Prefer/Favour/Approve a personal touch?

PS FELLOW WRITERS - I've included the Query Letter I sent Pete via my recent email submission yesterday.

Attachments

• FAO Agent Pete (Query Letter).pdf
    25.2 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
I know my name seems very random at the top of the letter but underneath is my contact details. For the sake of sharing and uploading on here. I have removed.

And thank you for your comment. Feel free to upload yours too, at the end of the day we are all writers here and every one of us struggles with our submission packages and we all go through the same motion of waiting to hear if its any good.

Ah, alas; poor is the man that enjoys "show and tell", with nothing of his own--to show and tell.

I haven't created any query letters because of my lack of completed works. Soon though... another week and my somewhat erotic/romance will be finished.

Wishing you all the best with it and get submitting to Pete.
And when your ready find this thread and upload your query letter.
I proper fret over my query letters, my whole submission actually.
Its like crumps its the first thing AGENTS will see/read of my work.
I have a fear of AGENTS like matrix style lol love the films btw and Agent Pete is Morpheus and he gives us all the red pill.
The truth of how a Agents mind works as they review writers manuscripts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much and I will.
I won't fret over it too much until the time comes--lots to worry about already!
So Agent Pete is an ironic title, in that he battles the Agents? I like the rabbit hole of writing, seeing how far it goes...

He goes where no Agent has gone before...

Anyway back to Netflix and I'll try and stay awake until the end of the programme I'm watching o_O -
'Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee'

I was once told to write a synopsis in present tense, it brings the story out into the open. I tried this, and sure enough, the synopsis sounded much more dynamic. I treat writing a synopsis and cover letter the same as writing the novel: write well before sending, and edit, edit, edit. Same with the letter. To me, the synopsis is not so much a chapter and verse on the plot, but an overview of the plot, with a succinct view of the characters' motivations. Character motivation is why the plot happens.

I broke one of my own rules, though, by submitting my WIP to Pete, and usually I don't show my WIP to anyone, even my partner, who is a very good critic. I simply want to know whether this new piece, in a different genre, has a strong enough voice at first glance to engage someone in the trade. I truly don't know if a negative response will halt the work in its tracks, or simply give me what I need to put it right. But it was an opportunity not to be missed.

However, I do believe that the synopsis and letter, however much blood has been lost in the process, don't sell the work. The work sells the work. However, if the synopsis and letter are full of grammatical errors, that's going to tell the editor the book will be.

Well, in my case it is probably too late now. I've submitted the attached (or variations there of) to just about every bloody agent on the planet. I know I'm not striking the right note somehow, and it is very frustrating. It is particularly annoying when you craft your 1 page synopsis - spending bloody hours days months on it - and then the next agent wants 300 words or less. I too have resubmitted to the lovely @AgentPete, Litopian heart throb, but I probably neglected to include a synopsis and query letter. Still, hopefully he'll be impressed that I've really worked on the opening chapter.

I would take down your synopsises hun, because this thread can be seen by the public, non-Litopians. But leave the rest up and just remove any personal details like I have done in the Query Letter I have shared.

Not to worry, good luck with your submissions. If they get offered representation YAY! If not it’s not the end of the world. We simply review, rewrite and refine, that’s what writers do.

@AgentPete has been referred to as Morpheus from the matrix and a heart-throb only at Litopia lol. He’s a heart-throb if he knows how to use a washing machine and knows not to put a memory foam pillow in it. 2 weeks later I have had to buy a new one, a new washing machine that is lol

I shall review after I have risen from my slumber lol

A misshapen memory foam pillow Yes! Agent Pete No! And I’m currently Slumbering with my cat.

I'd indicate the word count, rounded to the nearest thousand. Every agent should receive a different letter, demonstrating you're aware of their previous sales. Confidence? If you think you've written something that a stranger would sit down and read start to finish, that's the basis for confidence. It's execution is fluent beyond competent? That's craft. Someone will hold off going to the loo because they want to finish the chapter? That's magic.

Cowering? Never. It's just business. Diffidence is likeable. Neediness is off-putting. They won't take it on because they find you likeable, but they might not take you on if they think you might be a problem to deal with. They need to believe they can sell it, and soon, and have a pretty good idea to whom they could sell it. And not be scared you'll boil any bunnies if they fail to deliver.

Last edited:
I would always be professional in approach. After all it is primarily a business arrangement you are entering into. But definitely tailor your letter to the agent you are approaching. Nothing does you more disservice than an obvious mass mailing.

One thing though that you should include is the word count!

If you are sending sample chapters and synopsis as your submission package then keep the letter short and informative as you have done as it is your pages which will determine if they wish to see more. If you are submitting to US agents who often ask only for a query letter as a first approach them it should be more of a pitch.

And don’t fret. Agents are human and I’ve yet to meet one that wasn’t lovely.

And I always advise people to send out in batches of ten rather than all st once. That way you can gauge interest - if you get only form rejections then something needs revisiting. In which case you still have plenty of Agents to submit to.

Good luck.

@Rachel Caldecott-Thornton,
Can I just say I really admire your Humanitarian work with refugees.
And as promised your reviewed Query Letter...

Kind Regards, Alix :)

Attachments

• Rachel's Query Letter 2018 (Reviewed) .pdf
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
Hi @Rachel Caldecott-Thornton , just taken a look at your query letter and I would say it's pretty much fine as it is. I would perhaps include the web address of your blog. You'll be surprised but if they like the look of your work they'll very often click through and visit your blog/website to see who they are dealing with, so make sure it paints you in the best light possible :). I notice @OperaDivaAlix has suggested you take out the name of the short story competition but I think you should keep it in. Although I have to say I did try to google it just now and couldn't find anything. I hope this helps.

Hi @Rachel Caldecott-Thornton , just taken a look at your query letter and I would say it's pretty much fine as it is. I would perhaps include the web address of your blog. You'll be surprised but if they like the look of your work they'll very often click through and visit your blog/website to see who they are dealing with, so make sure it paints you in the best light possible :). I notice @OperaDivaAlix has suggested you take out the name of the short story competition but I think you should keep it in. Although I have to say I did try to google it just now and couldn't find anything. I hope this helps.
Here is the link. I might have exaggerated the importance of the competition (although they did have entries from Europe too). But the publishers who hold it are a fairly small outfit, I found them on one of those lists of 'Free to enter writing competitions' you find on blogs about writing. A Woman I Admire writing competition results | YouByYou Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! I Woman I Admire

Back