Publishers' Desk: Desk Day Has Come!

O

Help! Questions for Daisy Waugh on LAD!

GRR Martin weighs in on the Sony Cave-in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
No, I’m not some sort of internet vigilante, eagerly smacking my chops at the prospect of exposing yet another scam site targeted at authors.

In fact, sometimes I think that there’s a tad too much hysteria surrounding sites that may be well-intentioned, but are simply naive or hare-brained. Lots of them around, fersure.

Nevertheless, I’ve just received yet another irritating email from PUBLISHER’S DESK... So. Here. Goes.

Publishers' Desk: Desk Day Has Come!

There’s a kind of messianic zeal to this headline that drops into my inbox roughly every six weeks. Like I’m supposed to shudder in rapt anticipation of... what, the rapture? Or the literary equivalent thereof?

Never mind. This is a site that in essence is simply a manuscript display site. You, the muggins author, pay 60 bucks to “display” your work on the site. Me, the muggins agent, gets free access to... what, exactly?

Well, one big pile of slush. That’s what.

A decade ago or more, several folk inside and outside publishing had the notion that it would be a spiffing idea to centralize everything – the slushpile in one place, where agents and publishers could sort out the chaff from the... worse chaff.

It was a naive idea, and never going to work.

But I can see the attraction from the author’s point of view. One simple payment, and hey presto - no need to do any of that awkward submission business. Publisher’s Desk will take care of that... won’t they?

And that’s really my beef with this site. I don’t know anyone in the trade who uses it. Worse, they list my agency under the “Agents List” section- clearly implying that by paying their fee, you’re submitting to me.

No, you’re not.

Personally, I wouldn’t go near the site. Save your money.

Desk day most emphatically has not come.

Thanks for the heads up. Admittedly, I avoid any site that charges a fee. It would just be too expensive and from what I've read it doesn't increase your odds anyway.

Would it be worth trying to get your agency removed from the list?

If I had time. They seem to have cobbled together a list from many sources. And although it isn't explicitly stated that they have a relationship with these agencies, that's the implication.

This is really useful. Should we either have an info intro tag or a place to store such nuggets?

This is really not the season to send you junk mail, is it?

This is really useful. Should we either have an info intro tag or a place to store such nuggets?

We should probably add a sub-section in due course here... a place where general how-tos and don't-even-think-of-its (i.e. tradecraft) can be shared. Any name suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Help! Questions for Daisy Waugh on LAD!

GRR Martin weighs in on the Sony Cave-in...

Back