Question: Please Suggest How-Tos...

Contest The Yeovil Literary Prize

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
I’ve moved the rather obscure question forum to be much more prominent – click the “Forum List” button on the home page and you’ll now see a new “How Do I…?” forum right under the Welcome Forum.

The idea is to make some of the more common questions and head-scratchers that new members have more easy for them to resolve / understand.

Could you help me, please, by suggesting topics to include here? Even better, write a draft answer!

Thx :) p.

How to format your manuscript (I've encountered a LOT of terribly formatted manuscripts recently and it's becoming a bugbear now). While you can point people to the Shunn manuscript website, it doesn't tell you how to go about setting up a document so it follows that style (as in where to go to modify the paragraph styles, set first line indentation etc).

Last edited:
How to format your manuscript (I've encountered a LOT of terribly formatted manuscripts recently and it's becoming a bugbear now). While you can point people to the Shunn manuscript website, it doesn't tell you how to go about setting up a document so it follows that style (as in where to go to modify the paragraph styles, set first line indentation etc).
I see a lot of material here that is not ready for prime time (agents-formatting that is). While I think it is okay for our internal purposes, I have been told (perhaps @AgentPete can chime in) that agents won't read a MS if it not properly formated; that is, double spaced, 12 point font etc..

How do I start a private critiquing thread? Many a time newbies start a conversation, but that isn't necessary if you start a private thread and you have more control over a thread.

Perhaps a warning to Mac users about formatting Word. Docx is required for contests, agent submissions .... everything. However there seems to be a deliberate corporate decision to sabotage Mac users or anyone using an old form of the software. I use PDF when I can when submitting, but recently got distracted and forgot this caveat. If you are sending Docx from a Mac computer check that the copy arrives as it left your laptop. If it doesn't you may need to find someone with a recent version of Word and send it from their computer.

Perhaps a warning to Mac users about formatting Word. Docx is required for contests, agent submissions .... everything. However there seems to be a deliberate corporate decision to sabotage Mac users or anyone using an old form of the software. I use PDF when I can when submitting, but recently got distracted and forgot this caveat. If you are sending Docx from a Mac computer check that the copy arrives as it left your laptop. If it doesn't you may need to find someone with a recent version of Word and send it from their computer.

I was thinking of changing to Mac, but this worries me...

I was thinking of changing to Mac, but this worries me...
I wouldn't. The only reason I'm sticking with it is my husband is a devout Mac guy and I dread having to learn a new system. Right now he is my editor and everything I submit is proofread on his computer and sent from there. Recently the Mac bastards dumped 8k of my photos "cleaning my disc."
I have them backed up somewhere but may have lost almost all the photos I've taken in Palermo. Many prof photographers have told me that they used to be Mac users but left when they decided to make it unworkable for large libraries of photos.
Same applies for multiple books I think.

I used a mac for years and I've never had a problem. I even tried to use a PC for a bit but ended going back to mac after the PC I had was super unreliable. My mac version of Word always saves as docx, so maybe it's a settings thing?
No. We've figured out it's the age of the Mac thing plus being willing to use Chrome and other google products. My husband also has no problem but he always buys the latest word and has a newer laptop. But we are both considering a Mac mini just to hold larger files. I hate iCloud for environmental reasons on top of it's expense.

No. We've figured out it's the age of the Mac thing plus being willing to use Chrome and other google products. My husband also has no problem but he always buys the latest word and has a newer laptop. But we are both considering a Mac mini just to hold larger files. I hate iCloud for environmental reasons on top of it's expense.
Yeah, too many clouds will block out the sun.

Contest The Yeovil Literary Prize

Back