• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Blog Post: Is the future here yet?

Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

From Our Blog

Blogger
New blog post by James Charles – discussions in this thread, please
---

As a kid, I watched Star Trek. Some things have come true. I remember at the market you had to push to open the door. On Star Trek, the doors opened automatically with a SWOOSH when Captain Kirk made his dramatic entrance (wow, he’s still with us as I write this). A few years later when you stepped onto the rubbery footstep/pad thingy the market doors opened. A few years after that, sensors above the doors sensed your approach and opened the doors with a SWOOSH.

I remember Mr. Spock asking the computer. “Computer, ….” And the computer answered his question. Well, what can you say today? Alexa, Google, AI Chat etc….

There are many other science fiction books and movies with elements that have predicted things we have now (smart phones and watches); so soon will we be like the cyborgs on Star Trek the Next Generation; half human and half machine?

If we don’t destroy the Earth, and humans are around in two or three hundreds years, I’m sure we will have deep-space travel, perhaps figure out how to warp the time/space continuum (warp speed, Mr. Sulu) so we can skip across the galaxy.

Although, we now have Elon Musk (with his power and money) perpetuating deep-fake videos of political candidates saying or doing things they did not say or do. These videos are then shared hundreds of thousands of times whereby so many people see them without checking their authenticity. So, I guess we will all be in his cyborg army soon…

“Open the pod bay doors, HAL!”

“I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I cannot do that.”
---

By @James Charles
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…

Hi James,
I am a big fan of the original Star Trek series. I think it was ground breaking Sci Fi and an entertaining TV series. I still like to watch favourite episodes.

Gene Roddenberry got some predictions right about the future, but he also got plenty wrong. There were no touchscreen controls on the Enterprise. No basic robots such as bio-cleaning ones. No explanation of how artificial gravity was achieved. Dr McCoy's hospital and analysis table look primitive even by todays standards. The people transporter and faster than light speeding spacecraft are fantasy. I'm not criticizing Mr Roddenberry - as I like to say, the only thing humans can predict about the future, is that it's unpredictable - that's a line from my book draft.

Back