Help! Getting them to pick it up to read.

More than you wanted to know department

34 Calls for Submissions in May 2018 - Paying Markets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 2018
USA
I have completed the first draft of a novella I call He Kindly Stopped (Dickinson: Because I could not stop for death/He kindly stopped for me). An earlier working title was Seeing God. The book deals with the problem of evil and suffering in a society where God is most often thought to be good. (I am not Christian in any traditional sense but I and well-versed in the literature of mysticism and share the insights that I find there.)

Though I though I certainly have much work to do on second and third drafts, I did send out the first version for some reader reaction to readers who knew little of me and probably had never read anything by me. Of course, most of those who got a book did not reply at all, but of those who did the reaction was pretty much positive. Elaine Pagels, the Princeton University professor of religion well known for her books on early Christian gnosticism and the Nag Hammadi manuscripts liked it and sent along a blurb. But why did so many fail to respond?

That brings me to an email I got from a young woman whom I knew only because she had written me once to let me know that she enjoyed one of our earlier books, How to Write Your Book. Here's what she said about He Kindly Stopped: "Thomas, INCREDIBLE. It is not a book I would have chosen to read, however am so glad you gave me the opportunity to do so. It was life altering. Too often I have felt things I could not describe or have the guidance of how to look for deeper understanding - to clarify the murky subconscious. You have enlightened me. I do not know why our paths have crossed (there is a reason) but am eternally grateful they have. I have always believed artists, writers and musicians have an extra sense - are more acutely aware of their surroundings, thoughts and emotions. I remember trying to have a conversation with someone about this and they looked at me like I was from Mars. I realized then not everyone has the capacity to look beyond what only their eyes see. Thank you."

Needless to say I was glad to hear these things, but I also saw a big problem. Why did she say that this was not a book that she would have chosen to read? She liked it well enough, obviously. But what could I have done to entice her to pick it up and read in the first place? That's a big problem that I've got to solve. Any thoughts?

Hi Tom,

I think the Litopia Writing Groups is the place for these questions. Once you have been a Litopia member for seven days and have posted at least twenty times, you will automatically gain access to the Writing Groups. This is a dedicated area of the forum for giving and receiving critique. You will be able to post samples of your work for review, control threads you create, and make your threads private if you wish to control who has access to your work.

Once you have access to the Writing Groups,

click here to read the Writing Groups – Instructions

click here to read The Litopia Method For Giving And Receiving Writing Critiques

click here to read AgentPete's SAMPLE TEMPLATE

When you start using the Writing Groups, I'm sure you'll find all the answers you need.

Kind regards,

Rich

Why did she say that this was not a book that she would have chosen to read?

Tom, I think the lady meant she wouldn't normally read this genre; that she wouldn't normally hang around in this particular section of a bookshop. We all have books we tend to pick up, stuff we're interested in. I pick up anything that sounds quirky. Others will only pick up crime.

But what could I have done to entice her to pick it up and read in the first place?

It sounds like an interesting novella. And she had very good things to say, which is great. I doubt you could have done anything to entice her to read it. That would be trying to please all people, which we never will. Not everyone is a keen reader, and not everyone is a keen reader of all genres. Like I said: tastes, and all that.

But why did so many fail to respond?

It's difficult to "get people to read" your work, especially if they don't have a particular interest in the topic. You said Elaine P responded. I have no idea who she is, but by the sounds of it, she has an interest in the subject which is probably why she took the time to go through it. As for the others: did they ask to read it, or did you ask them? Being asked to read something is very different from the reader's POV. They now have to make time, as opposed to wanting to make time. Either way, don't worry about their lack of response. It isn't personal. Also, don't take their lack of response as a sign of your work. The problem is, we all have such busy lifes, and not everyone has the time to commit to 50K or more words, and then respond with their thoughts, especially if it's something they wouldn't normally read.

I think your best bet is to do what Rich said and get it into the writing groups. This is where you get the kind of reader reaction and feedback I suspect you are looking for. The people here are really helpful. The feedback may or may not be harsh, but it will be constructive, and you will learn tons. I've put some of my work up in the writing group in the past, and everytime I receive feedback, it feels like Christmas.

Much of the time, our friends are way too kind to give us feedback. But here in the Colony, you will find what you need: writing buddies.

Is it about Death as that title suggests, and our relationship it- and with the ever present awareness of it? Or is it about God and the problem of evil in the face of God's supposed will and omnipotence, Tom? What's the problem it's working on, that's a problem the reader might be working on, that's the reason to read?

I have on my bookshelf The Natural Death Handbook.

Hmmm! Catchy! But a hugely valuable resource actually. I bought it initially because I found myself talking with so many people facing or handling Death; their own or a loved one's, and practicalities also come into that. We've lost ownership of the management of death in our society. As a society, we've become like rabbits in the headlights. We need to claim death back from the hospitals. Need to.

Last edited:
Is it about Death as that title suggests, and our relationship it- and with the ever present awareness of it? Or is it about God and the problem of evil in the face of God's supposed will and omnipotence, Tom? What's the problem it's working on, that's a problem the reader might be working on, that's the reason to read?

I have on my bookshelf The Natural Death Handbook.

Hmmm! Catchy! But a hugely valuable resource actually. I bought it initially because I found myself talking with so many people facing or handling Death; their own or a loved one's, and practicalities also come into that. We've lost ownership of the management of death in our society. As a society, we've become like rabbits in the headlights. We need to claim death back from the hospitals. Need to.

The Natural Death Handbook is a thought-provoking read. It inspired me to have a couple of the victims of the serial killer in my second Cornish Detective novel buried in alternative Green ways. One was buried in a meadow, with a tree as his marker. Another specified promession in her will, meaning she ended up freeze dried, which reduced her body to granules—to be used as fertiliser for potted plants in the yard of her home, which she donated to the local history society.

As a title, The Natural Death Handbook provokes me into thinking of its antonym title—The Unnatural Death Handbook—which would make a decent title for a crime novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

More than you wanted to know department

34 Calls for Submissions in May 2018 - Paying Markets

Back