Agent handling 'sophisticated' MG and YA Writing...

Stars of Royal Beauty Bright.

Fanfare! New Guardian Masterclass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eep, I submitted to them! Then I read in one of the agents blogs what they were currently seeing an abundance of (it was written back in 2013, but still!) and I very loudly said, "Dag nabbit!" :p What can you do though, aye? We're not going to stop writing at every rejection, foreseen possible rejection and, I dunno, (complications with a co-writing cat?) are we?! :D

I'm aiming at the adult market but YA seems to be the major target market on Litopia at the moment. Agent Pete wants a sprawling international Mystery/Thriller with a plot like a python on acid. Have you got a one of those? My story ain't sprawling, it is taut though not spare, and the plot is not hallucinogenic, though the odd scene might seem like it.
What can one do, having got the thing in shape, but dangle bait over bear pits and test the bears' appetites?

Last edited:
I couldn't write something like that. I always have to throw in some ridiculous character, or two... or three. Maybe once I'm done with what I have on my list to write I'll challenge myself and attempt to write a thriller. It's weird, I love mysteries, (especially murder mysteries!) but I've never written one. Oh! I did once, but that was a task for university so it doesn't really count. :p

I submitted to John Cusick a few days ago, he replied yesterday. With an honest response....
"While this has some nice points, when I take on a new writer I need to feel such a high level of conviction that I could sell their work, and I’m afraid I’m not quite there with this. Of course, it’s a really subjective business. Another agent may well feel differently."
I replied and said I'd see him at an awards dinner. I think the most important thing is that I don't doubt my conviction. And at least he replied with some positives. Gotta keep a sense of humour with this game.

I submitted to John Cusick a few days ago, he replied yesterday. With an honest response....
"While this has some nice points, when I take on a new writer I need to feel such a high level of conviction that I could sell their work, and I’m afraid I’m not quite there with this. Of course, it’s a really subjective business. Another agent may well feel differently."
I replied and said I'd see him at an awards dinner. I think the most important thing is that I don't doubt my conviction. And at least he replied with some positives. Gotta keep a sense of humour with this game.

Haha! Love it! Wish I'd thought of that.

I think the Scotland > England thing may be what's putting folk off my story as most Agent's are English. Shame really, the majority of my protagonist group are English, but you wouldn't know that unless you read the whole thing.

Plus the lack of frilly language, they seem to like that.

I could actually say loads on this subject re non-readers... but I won't ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stars of Royal Beauty Bright.

Fanfare! New Guardian Masterclass

Back