A problem with....

Go to....

Happiness lies....

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
'A problem with a piece of writing often clarifies itself if you go for a long walk.'

Helen Dunmore

iu

A few years ago now, my brother had to go away on a job and he left his dog with me. I love walking on beaches lost in my imagination, formulating a scene or scenes, but when I had that dog it was an absolute pain! Constantly wanting me to throw something or I had to shout at it when it went charging off chasing a scent. No, definitely no dogs when I go for a walk. Other peoples dogs I find a nuisance when they start barking or running up to me.

Just to clarify, when I grew up my best friend was a dog called Suzie. She was great. I could be lost in thought watching rabbits play and she would sit by my side and only chase the rabbits when I said, 'Go on then.' - she couldn't catch them, she had short legs :). I never trained her and she was never on a lead - I grew up on a farm. But she understood me. But now I'm not sure I agree with the ownership of 'pets'. I often used to Tweet: All life forms add their own colour to the world and we must embrace all the colours with equal value. In my opinion equal value means respecting their individual rights. The word ownership is not conducive with individual rights.

But now I'm not sure I agree with the ownership of 'pets'. I often used to Tweet: All life forms add their own colour to the world and we must embrace all the colours with equal value. In my opinion equal value means respecting their individual rights. The word ownership is not conducive with individual rights.
I’ve been thinking the same sort of thoughts.

However… it’s not a clear-cut issue by any means. “Ownership” is an outdated term, although still very widely used. A lot of folk in the animal rights movement oppose pet “ownership”. But there again, a lot of similar folk are very active in re-homing unwanted pets, too.

Living with, and caring for, other animals is often an enriching and mutually beneficial experience. It serves to place us humans in context, not as the lonely despots of some remote planetary kingdom, but as co-inhabitants and carers with responsibilities.

I’ve been thinking the same sort of thoughts.

However… it’s not a clear-cut issue by any means. “Ownership” is an outdated term, although still very widely used. A lot of folk in the animal rights movement oppose pet “ownership”. But there again, a lot of similar folk are very active in re-homing unwanted pets, too.

Living with, and caring for, other animals is often an enriching and mutually beneficial experience. It serves to place us humans in context, not as the lonely despots of some remote planetary kingdom, but as co-inhabitants and carers with responsibilities.
I 100% agree. The theme of animal rights is the core of my novel A Seed Once Sown - loved writing that book! Our growing knowledge is forcing us to re-evaluate our relationship with all life forms with whom we share this planet. I suspect the word pet will be condemned in the future as are all racist and sexist terms condemned today. The word ownership will need to be re-defined. We can own a house, but can it ever be morally right to own another life?

I "own" my dog in as much a way as a parent "owns" a child. I give him a roof over his head, food, fun, companionship, unconditional love. I am his fourth and now forever home. He gives me fun, companionship, solace when I need it, unconditional love. We are a partnership. He enjoys good welfare. He would not exist if there were no pets.

Dogs, for thousands of years, have co-evolved as human companions. Evidence suggests that we did not pluck them from the wild to work for us but rather they creched where food was plentiful, and social individuals chose to co-habit with us. Then they started to join in the hunting/ herd guarding etc. Humans obviously quickly realised these new companions could be trained to do even better. Training can be accomplished through both good and bad welfare techniques. Dogs who love to work also love to train if that training is carried out using positive reinforcement techniques. Good ownership equates with good welfare and promotes sentience.

Yes, there are bad owners just as there are bad parents, but the few should not condemn the many. I doubt folk would say children should not exist or parenting is ownership so children should not be parented.

Cats, to a lesser extent, have also evolved to co-habit with humans. Their human carers will tell you that no one "owns" their cat.

I've never heard the term 'ownership' used in the context of a child. That's quite bizarre. Responsible for, yes. Own, no.

No person of moral conscience would ever consider purchasing a child.

Except in the globally thriving market of paid-for child surrogacy, I suppose.

I do agree with your point about use of the term 'ownership'. But the meaning that Hannah sketched out is clear, I think. Just because we use one word, 'ownership', in the context of pets, and a different word, 'responsibility', in the context of parenting, that doesn't preclude there being a large overlap in the practical meanings of those words.

Unfortunatly, I have heard the word "ownership" used in regards to kids (although only a couple of times. One was someone going through a divorce), but mainly, I've seen many, many parental behaviours (way too often) which indicated that those particular souls thought they owned their child.

But I digress. I just wanted to say that I used to share my life with a cat. I called myself his mum. My vet called me his mum. I felt like his mum. He was the little miracle, the blessing I had the honour to share my life with. He, however, saw me as his subject. He knew damn well that ... He. Owned. Me.

Bow to the royal furryness.

Last edited:
And my kids own me (my heart and my time, at least) But they are definitely the very last people I'd want around if I was trying to clarify a writing problem. So I guess the OP stands ;) :D

Go to....

Happiness lies....

Back