Self-sabotage: I don't deserve success

Inspiration! Huddle Christmas Party! Sat 17th December 5pm GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorm Ant

Basic
Jul 7, 2021
UK
I still have a way to go but cutting filler words based on this video really helped to elevate my writing:

Trying to avoid writing ‘sound’ usually gets me scratching my head (but I don’t think that’s covered in this video)!

I still have a way to go but cutting filler words based on this video really helped to elevate my writing:

Trying to avoid writing ‘sound’ usually gets me scratching my head (but I don’t think that’s covered in this video)!

When do you need "sound"? It's a very abstract word that is either unnecessary (e.g. the banging sound reverberated in my ears) because the context will imply the "sound" part or you could use a specific word for the sound (e.g, the door-slam). I'd only use "sound" if the character speaking or POV doesn't recognise the sound.
"What's that sound?"
"Someone, maybe a kid, is hitting a ball against the door."
"A ball against wood doesn't sound like that."

I'm editing at the moment, so this is very useful, thanks for sharing. Some of these I was able to catch myself doing as I was writing eg. felt, too many adverbs etc. But I just realised I have used words for breathing far too much. I have lots of breathing out, sighing, held breaths, sharp inhales. All of my characters are heavy breathers apparently :D I also recognised the "began" thing - I suspect I will find lots of "she began to run" etc. as I'm working through. Good to know and look out for.

I'm editing at the moment, so this is very useful, thanks for sharing. Some of these I was able to catch myself doing as I was writing eg. felt, too many adverbs etc. But I just realised I have used words for breathing far too much. I have lots of breathing out, sighing, held breaths, sharp inhales. All of my characters are heavy breathers apparently :D I also recognised the "began" thing - I suspect I will find lots of "she began to run" etc. as I'm working through. Good to know and look out for.
OMFG I hate "...began to..." so much. It grinds my gears.

Once you look out for it in your own writing and kill it, you see it so often in other unpublished writers' work.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't think that Feeling and Thinking Words can be lumped in with the rest. Aren't those more about controlling the distance to the character? And you don't always want to be close with all your characters.

Thanks for sharing.

I don't think that Feeling and Thinking Words can be lumped in with the rest. Aren't those more about controlling the distance to the character? And you don't always want to be close with all your characters.
And I think it is the usual. balance between getting on with the story and following rules. Don't overuse-but sometimes you just need to move the plot forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Self-sabotage: I don't deserve success

Inspiration! Huddle Christmas Party! Sat 17th December 5pm GMT

Back