Yesterday's Meetup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich.

Emeritus
Sep 28, 2017
Spain
Hi everyone,

I was hoping, once again, to pick your brains. This one's for the fantasy fans. In your opinion, who are the big names in fantasy these days, what kind of stories are selling, and what does the future hold for the genre?

I can google all this and do my own research (which I have/am doing). But I'm interested in what this community thinks. :)

Thanks!

My brain doesn't hold this type of information.

There are so many types of fantasy fiction.

Where to start?

There's fantasy, epic fantasy, what I call 'gaming' fantasy (Salvatore...hate Salvatore), urban fantasy, dark fantasy .... grimdark... steampunk....urban fantasy with romantic elements .... there's an author of romantic quest sword and sorcery type romance ... there's cyperpunk ... erotic fantasy (not to be confused with erotic fantasies) .... magical realism ... paranormal ... paranormal romance ... gaslight (which is like Steampunk) ... alternate history (also a type of Steampunk) .... there's a slew of young adult fantasy novels where fairy tales or myths are retold .....

But instead of me rambling ... you can look at a link:

Amazon Best Sellers: Best Fantasy

Hi everyone,

I was hoping, once again, to pick your brains. This one's for the fantasy fans. In your opinion, who are the big names in fantasy these days, what kind of stories are selling, and what does the future hold for the genre?

I can google all this and do my own research (which I have/am doing). But I'm interested in what this community thinks. :)

Thanks!

What do you mean by fantasy? As stated above, fantasy has branched out to infinity these days which tends to also make it harder for anyone to stick out, methinks, but maybe Brandon Saunderson in fantasy/high fantasy/sci-fi. And in the horror genre, perhaps Joe Hill? I mean, after the BIG ones -- like JRR Martin and Neil Gaiman qnd DIana Gabaldon.

Last edited:
Well, and then there are the likes of NK Jemisin, Robin Hobb and Patrick Rothfuss--not big like JRRM big, but doing quite well (and writing masterful stuff...I'm in awe of Rothfuss...if only he would finish the next book in the Kingkiller series instead of focusing on merchandising).

I have no statistics to support this theory, but I wondered if fantasy fiction becomes more popular in troubled times. That's to say, people seek escape in fantasy worlds because they can do nothing to change how dreadful real life is. Granted, reading about warfare and dystopian societies is a weird form of therapy, but we remain children inside—and how do children learn how the world works? Through stories....

It's well-known that Tolkien's writing was heavily influenced by World War 1:

How was The Lord of the Rings influenced by World War One?

Another overlying influence on readers and viewers is simply that folk don't understand how stuff works anymore—there's no modern technology that can be repaired with a hammer, screwdriver and spanner—most electrical devices are deemed to be too expensive to repair when they develop a fault, so throw them away and buy a new one with even more features! Separated from reality in this way, forever at the mercy of cars, computers and microwave ovens that control our fates, why not turn to a fantasy world where with a magical spell you're all powerful again?

I've certainly been reading more fantasy writing in the last year, writers such as Robin Hobb, David Almond, Mal Peet and Neil Gaiman.

Another overlying influence on readers and viewers is simply that folk don't understand how stuff works anymore...
Really interesting observations, Paul. Wasn't it Arthur C Clarke who said Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic? Makes me wonder if we moderns don't read fantasy because it's no less complex than real life. It's certainly escapist, full of wonder, but maybe the bafflement's optional.

I have no statistics to support this theory, but I wondered if fantasy fiction becomes more popular in troubled times. That's to say, people seek escape in fantasy worlds because they can do nothing to change how dreadful real life is. Granted, reading about warfare and dystopian societies is a weird form of therapy, but we remain children inside—and how do children learn how the world works? Through stories....

Another overlying influence on readers and viewers is simply that folk don't understand how stuff works anymore—there's no modern technology that can be repaired with a hammer, screwdriver and spanner—most electrical devices are deemed to be too expensive to repair when they develop a fault, so throw them away and buy a new one with even more features! Separated from reality in this way, forever at the mercy of cars, computers and microwave ovens that control our fates, why not turn to a fantasy world where with a magical spell you're all powerful again?

I've certainly been reading more fantasy writing in the last year, writers such as Robin Hobb, David Almond, Mal Peet and Neil Gaiman.

Absoultely.Disneyland has a study ( internal study--I read it because I was working a project there) that confirms this in a way. It turns out that immediatley after 9/11 (and there after ) business really took off. The number of visitors practically doubled and 2 things they discovered from surveying the guests was they felt it was 1.- a safe place to be and 2.- a place to escape the reality of the world.
So, yeah. Let´s get crackin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wag, The Tail, The Dog,

Yesterday's Meetup

Back