Request to use story in an anthology

Greeting from down under

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Lee

Basic
Jul 26, 2018
Chicago
Hi, all. I am surprised to find myself enjoying twitter (I know, a decade late. Hey, I had dial up internet not too long ago!) I am finding many poets and writers there helping each other. Maybe it's because I am new to it and being careful who I follow--and who follows me? I expected to find only acrimony and fighting, since, well--I HATE TO SAY IT--but look at the tweeting from our White House. (Sorry!)

I am finding out about new literary journals, contests, and conversing with writers from all over the world.
But I wonder--is this time I should be spent reading poetry and writing poetry--is this all a time waster?
Thanks for your thoughts.
Laura Lee

I simply don't get twitter. Farcebook is bad enough, everybody posting, no-one reading. But we all need time out to communicate in whichever way rocks our boat. Writing always was a lonely business, and the internet does bring us together - if it doesn't become a drug habit.

When I first started using Twitter I felt obliged to post items on a regular basis. After a while I got bored of posting content just for the sake of it and started Retweeting items posted by other people that I found to be of interest. Twitter is certainly a great source of information and I wouldn't want to be denied access to it.

Hi, all. I am surprised to find myself enjoying twitter (I know, a decade late. Hey, I had dial up internet not too long ago!) I am finding many poets and writers there helping each other. Maybe it's because I am new to it and being careful who I follow--and who follows me? I expected to find only acrimony and fighting, since, well--I HATE TO SAY IT--but look at the tweeting from our White House. (Sorry!)

I am finding out about new literary journals, contests, and conversing with writers from all over the world.
But I wonder--is this time I should be spent reading poetry and writing poetry--is this all a time waster?
Laura Lee

Absolutely not! I find Twitter is a wonderful place to share thoughts and ideas, with like-minded people. It´s great for staying in the loop of what is going on in the literary world, you get to see snippets of other writer´s lives, find out about contests and other opportunities, and actually learn about writing. There are several writers who tweet about the life of writer, how to get published, etc...As you say, it all depends on who you follow! I would start with my favorite authors, plenty of editors, agents, publishers, screenwriters, writing groups , librarians, etc.. It is a great place to be as long as you learn to stay away from people who are only there to rant and spread their anger. Block them, tis all!

Absolutely not! I find Twitter is a wonderful place to share thoughts and ideas, with like-minded people. It´s great for staying in the loop of what is going on in the literary world, you get to see snippets of other writer´s lives, find out about contests and other opportunities, and actually learn about writing. There are several writers who tweet about the life of writer, how to get published, etc...As you say, it all depends on who you follow! I would start with my favorite authors, plenty of editors, agents, publishers, screenwriters, writing groups , librarians, etc.. It is a great place to be as long as you learn to stay away from people who are only there to rant and spread their anger. Block them, tis all!
Thanks! That's what I am finding, if I am careful about who I follow. I'm getting news on writing contests, etc. And finding the news sources no longer on FB. Yeah, I'm old. :)

However, I can see how it can be destructive, so I am being careful. Had to block some jerks already.

Laura Lee

Yes, I think it's a time waster.

I don't find it a time waster as I'm not on there much; perhaps I should be. Moderately useful at times but I think that depends on your skill in using it. I'm a bit lax.

Twitter isn't my cup of tea. I'm there. I post occasionally. But I find the structure doesn't work for me. My husband loves it--I think it all depends on how you like to communicate, and the community you find there. I agree with you that there's a strong supportive community of writers there. It just doesn't work for me.

Thanks! That's what I am finding, if I am careful about who I follow. I'm getting news on writing contests, etc. And finding the news sources no longer on FB. Yeah, I'm old. :)

However, I can see how it can be destructive, so I am being careful. Had to block some jerks already.

Yep, that´s all there is to it. I see you write poetry, so I have no idea who to direct you to, but i´m sure that one will lead to another and so forth. There are several of us Litopians on Twitter you could follow. And Litopia is also on twitter. You find me as @badwolfgirl27. Feel free to follow me. Most of my tweets are about writing though plenty are also about politics and the state of the world today. I tend to retweet agents, editors, writers, journalists and some politicians.

I think like all things...you get out what you put in. That cuts both good and bad ways too. So like the advice above - stay away from timewasters and focus on the people who nurture other writers and learn from them.

You have to decide how much of yourself you want to show and which side of yourself. People like consistency, familiarity. Build up a persona of yourself that is only a snippet of the real you - in this case: writer - and then focus on the areas that interest you as a writer. We're all more than writers but I tend to tweet things that amuse/interest me first. Doing that attracts similar minded people.

Plus I get to keep in touch with new people I've met and discover all sorts of opportunities like the #writementor recently. Just keep it light and fun and it won't seem a chore or time wasted. Agents and publishers like to see a personality and it helps in that respect.

Last edited:
I don't have a smart phone, so I don't do Instagram or Twitter. Apparently publishers like you to do both (presumably because you end up promoting yourself and halving their work load). I do Facebook... way too much. One day I'll get a smart phone, then we'll see.

I don't have a smart phone, so I don't do Instagram or Twitter. Apparently publishers like you to do both (presumably because you end up promoting yourself and halving their work load). I do Facebook... way too much. One day I'll get a smart phone, then we'll see.

I think it's more like complimenting their workload rather than halving it. I can see your point though but it is also appealing for any 'employer', say, if they are paying someone who can reach their audience/customers directly. Makes sense to add value to yourself this way.

But by the same token, it isn't necessary if your writing speaks for itself.

It is possible to tweet and post photos on Instagram from your laptop, though you might have to download an app to make it easier. I'll be making a fool of myself on such social media sites once I've edited my WIP. I'm looking forward to doing this with about as much enthusiasm as cleaning the grouting on the tiles in my shower! :(

How to use Twitter on your PC desktop

How to upload photos to Instagram from your PC or Mac | TechRadar

I joined Twitter rather late and reluctantly, largely because of my work as a journalist. I must say, the entirely unrestricted, unrestrained public nature of it (which is, of course, its main selling point) still makes me nervous. But it's been massively embraced by the publishing industry (not to mention other creatives) and can be a very effective marketing tool (as well as a source of support)...so for writers keen to get their work out there, it's probably worth having a Twitter profile. But yes, like all social media etc., it's easy to spend much more time on it than is strictly necessary, so like most things, it's about finding the right (write?) balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Request to use story in an anthology

Greeting from down under

Back