News The Darling Killers (a.k.a Annie and Bev start a podcast)

FREAKING OUT

Exercise nothing to do with writing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in a “women supporting women” networking group before Covid. Some twenty something girl was saying how us older women felt intimidated by the younger ones in the workplace because we were feeling washed up and less energetic with our lives behind us, blah blah blah. The uproar that caused! I stood up and told her I wouldn’t do my twenties again for the my former body or boobs or all the money in the world. What an uncertain time that was. I’ll take the wisdom, experience and confidence any day. She can have her youth and naïveté.

Keep being an awesome person Matt and if there is a link later please post it.
We did provide the requested support. I think the link request was referring to the new podcast episode?
If not, sorry, no link from us. we don't make our grants public.

A tailgating party? Sounds like a massive conga through the streets.

I've only watched American football once. Or rather, a few minutes of it. Something started one helmeted, padded guy racing to the other end of the pitch while all the others stayed in the middle and purposefully crashed into each other. That's what it looked like. I laughed for a short while then yawned and changed channels. (Though I did enjoy the Mexican wave conversation in When Harry Met Sally.)
For my journalism degree I had to write a sports article. I procrastinated as long as possible. Tried having the game explained to me, but my brain turned to Teflon as soon as it heard the words foot and ball in close proximity. In the end I wrote it about the halftime ceremony that featured Hawaiian orchids. I got a mercy B.

I had a (very young, 21) co-worker try to explain why a Ukrainian journalist we were considering helping should not be a priority by noting, "Well, she's ancient, born in '69." the implication being, of course, basically dead. I suggested that as i was born almost a decade before the ancient one, i could see the journo hanging on for much of the next three months (the time for which she had asked for support).
Which is why I considered lying when I recently applied for a bursary. At risk populations apparently do not include those closer to the end of life than the beginning.

Which is why I considered lying when I recently applied for a bursary. At risk populations apparently do not include those closer to the end of life than the beginning.
Well, we're at risk, just not much of one, I think is the reasoning. How much can we possibly have to lose, as old as we are?

For my journalism degree I had to write a sports article. I procrastinated as long as possible. Tried having the game explained to me, but my brain turned to Teflon as soon as it heard the words foot and ball in close proximity. In the end I wrote it about the halftime ceremony that featured Hawaiian orchids. I got a mercy B.
During my first journalism summer internship (a small Kansas weekly (actually two small kansas weeklies) one of my duties was to "keep score and announce the local semi-pro baseball team games" as well as then write the game story.
I'd never been to a baseball game, or played the game, so had no idea what was going on, and to "keep score" meant keeping track of the game in this quite complicated statistics book. I wrote my first sports story using that book. it was something like 10,000 words, in the old 8 column format and inside double truck, in journo speak. I didn't know enough about the game to know what was important, so I mentioned every single thing that happened.

During my first journalism summer internship (a small Kansas weekly (actually two small kansas weeklies) one of my duties was to "keep score and announce the local semi-pro baseball team games" as well as then write the game story.
I'd never been to a baseball game, or played the game, so had no idea what was going on, and to "keep score" meant keeping track of the game in this quite complicated statistics book. I wrote my first sports story using that book. it was something like 10,000 words, in the old 8 column format and inside double truck, in journo speak. I didn't know enough about the game to know what was important, so I mentioned every single thing that happened.
Imagining the subsequent conversations at the local coop men's coffee Klatch. (Always the best coffee in any small Kansas town- go figure.) I'm sure you brought much joy to their lives. Well. At least laughter.
I think the lesson is that we have to be careful with either, we could injure ourselves quite easily crying or laughing.
The older you get the more likely you are to do both simultaneously. Probably the cause of many deaths in the over 80 crowd. The hazards of knowing too much.

Imagining the subsequent conversations at the local coop men's coffee Klatch. (Always the best coffee in any small Kansas town- go figure.) I'm sure you brought much joy to their lives. Well. At least laughter.

The older you get the more likely you are to do both simultaneously. Probably the cause of many deaths in the over 80 crowd. The hazards of knowing too much.
The families and friends of the 20 year olds on the team loved it, i mentioned every player's name four to 10 times. Actually increased sales quite a lot. Usually, the stories were about 500 words.

The families and friends of the 20 year olds on the team loved it, i mentioned every player's name four to 10 times. Actually increased sales quite a lot. Usually, the stories were about 500 words.
My Uncles and their families were all HS coaches. They would have loved you. The secret to a small-town paper. Pratchett learned everything about people reporting for local papers.

Finished this a little while ago. A great sort of 101 entry to the subject for new writers and good basics to review for...veterans? Seasoned? Wibbledibble? What do you call a writer with experience?

A thought for possible future discussion: the section regarding your opinions on not liking villains having excessive backstory I think has room to expand on. An adage I've adopted from more than one author I've admired the work of: "Everyone is the hero of their own story." We don't necessarily need to know a villain/antagonist's entire backstory, but it can greatly inform writing the character to know why they do. Another adage that goes hand in hand with it, and is true of real personalities as well: "People only do what they feel justified in doing."

I look forward to more!

Finished this a little while ago. A great sort of 101 entry to the subject for new writers and good basics to review for...veterans? Seasoned? Wibbledibble? What do you call a writer with experience?

A thought for possible future discussion: the section regarding your opinions on not liking villains having excessive backstory I think has room to expand on. An adage I've adopted from more than one author I've admired the work of: "Everyone is the hero of their own story." We don't necessarily need to know a villain/antagonist's entire backstory, but it can greatly inform writing the character to know why they do. Another adage that goes hand in hand with it, and is true of real personalities as well: "People only do what they feel justified in doing."

I look forward to more!

I mentioned that at a huddle way back in October I think, regarding side characters. Every side character is the hero of their own story. We as readers might not know their entire story, but a fully fleshed out side character is the hero of their own story and for that side character to ring true the author should know what that character's journey to a certain extent is. Otherwise they feel flat. Now we don't need to know EVERY character's, sometimes they really are just serving coffee in one scene, but if they are a side character that shows up often, the author should know what their entire arc is. Same goes for the villain.

Listened in 3 parts because my podcast concentration is poor.

Love Susanna Clarke's Piranesi! The Other was actually my favourite character. The balance in the book was right, I think, even though I'd have loved to experience more of The Other. She could write a book of the Other's backstory, and I'd buy it.

Just like to say, I think the banter between you two was much more balanced in this episode. I prefer the discussion-over-coffee style rather than the last one's Q&A.

BTW, I'd warn your listener: spoiler alert. If you haven't read Piranesi which we'll now discuss in detail, you may want to skip to X minutes. But do come back and listen once you've read the book.
Or you could do your spoiler as your last bit, so your listener can just leave the episode and pick it up when they've read the book. I'm so glad I'd read it already. Apart from not suffering spoiler, I was probably better able to keep up with your discussion knowing exactly what you were talking about.

Listened in 3 parts because my podcast concentration is poor.

Love Susanna Clarke's Piranesi! The Other was actually my favourite character. The balance in the book was right, I think, even though I'd have loved to experience more of The Other. She could write a book of the Other's backstory, and I'd buy it.

Just like to say, I think the banter between you two was much more balanced in this episode. I prefer the discussion-over-coffee style rather than the last one's Q&A.

BTW, I'd warn your listener: spoiler alert. If you haven't read Piranesi which we'll now discuss in detail, you may want to skip to X minutes. But do come back and listen once you've read the book.
Or you could do your spoiler as your last bit, so your listener can just leave the episode and pick it up when they've read the book. I'm so glad I'd read it already. Apart from not suffering spoiler, I was probably better able to keep up with your discussion knowing exactly what you were talking about.
Good points Hannah, I'll keep that in mind for our next episode, because we'll be discussing major spoilers! And it makes sense to have read/watched whatever we talk about before listening to the podcast.

Thanks for listening everyone! I need to get social media and stuff set up...but I'm in procrastination era. But glad this episode was interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREAKING OUT

Exercise nothing to do with writing....

Back