News The Darling Killers (a.k.a Annie and Bev start a podcast)

FREAKING OUT

Exercise nothing to do with writing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe Rogan rants. People who like ranting prefer an immersive experience... Like the fans of a recent POTUS... Succinct presentation of facts is not their jam. They want protracted expressions of emotion.

On another note, your statements about Scrivener during today's huddle surprised me. I have used it for years without serious problems. Exports to Word work, but I have not changed the default settings. I wonder if Litopians would benefit from a discussion of the various creative writing apps, story organizers, etc. Your thoughts?
Probably would be time for another discussion. Pete did organise one last year?

But Scrivener is just too complicated for many of us PLUS if you are a Mac user there are extra problems.

So I'm putting up a cork board and a white board. Something like the murder investigation teams use in crime shows. I can do a storyboard with character pics and descriptions. I can have a synopsis there. I can write goals for the day on the white board-things I need to be careful of etc.

I liked Zoho for it's simplicity but it absolutely went wonky in docx on my Mac. Scrivener doesn't work with a Mac unless you run Chrome. And my laptop refuses to download and run Word. I think the wonky formatting on a lot of Pop Up entries are because Google just makes it pretty impossible for Mac users to use Word. Theoretically it's possible, but it takes a lot of effort. So I send my copy to my husband for editing and to turn it into Docx but then once it is in that form it is almost impossible to work on. I even started working in email to finish the last book, partly because google doc kept unconnecting. Juerg is the main reason I have Mac-he's an old time user and now it is more intuitive for me than Microsoft which tends to piss me off. He's had Word Mac forever though and it works for him. Couldnt understand why he couldnt make it for on my laptop.

Pete uses Linux. If I get a grant for a computer big enough to hold all my research and manuscripts I might try it. Though it is a bit scary.

Last edited:
Probably would. But Scrivener is just too complicated for many of us PLUS if you are a Mac user there are extra problems.

So I'm putting up a cork board and a white board. Something like the murder investigation teams use in crime shows. I can do a storyboard with character pics and descriptions. I can have a synopsis there. I can write goals for the day on the white board-things I need to be careful of etc.

I liked Zoho for it's simplicity but it absolutely went wonky in docx on my Mac. Scrivener doesn't work with a Mac unless you run Chrome. And my laptop refuses to download and run Word. I think the wonky formatting on a lot of Pop Up entries are because Google just makes it pretty impossible for Mac users to use Word. Theoretically it's possible, but it takes a lot of effort. So I send my copy to my husband for editing and to turn it into Docx but then once it is in that form it is almost impossible to work on. I even started working in email.

Pete uses Linux. If I get a grant for a computer big enough to hold all my research and manuscripts I might try it. Though it is a bit scary.

Hard agree. Macs are generally for graphics people, the chips used are better for visuals. We got mine because I do a lot of artwork and need the high res visual component. But the document related features suck. That's not generally what macs are known for. My husband hates all things Mac related but then he's a chip designer and writes code all the time.

Hard agree. Macs are generally for graphics people, the chips used are better for visuals. We got mine because I do a lot of artwork and need the high res visual component. But the document related features suck. That's not generally what macs are known for. My husband hates all things Mac related but then he's a chip designer and writes code all the time.
Used to be for photographers, but they kind of killed photos for unknown reasons back in 2010. But yes on the high vis res. My sons were doing film projects with Adobe too in those days. But I just dont like Microsoft so I'll probably get a Mac mini. My gut feeling is that the interface with Word and Mac is not really heartfelt. Sorry, Not Sorry.

Apple is so proprietary for some reason. Whathisname that is running apple is being a total douche about having iphone apps work with other phones. They are really doing themselves no favors. I love my iphone but it would be nice to be able to grab one of the other cables for charging instead of constantly trying to find their stupid ones that only work for iphones. So yeah... Word and Mac won't ever really work well together because Pages is Apple's version and they want you to use it, even though it isn't the "industry standard" when it comes to word processing.

Apple is so proprietary for some reason. Whathisname that is running apple is being a total douche about having iphone apps work with other phones. They are really doing themselves no favors. I love my iphone but it would be nice to be able to grab one of the other cables for charging instead of constantly trying to find their stupid ones that only work for iphones. So yeah... Word and Mac won't ever really work well together because Pages is Apple's version and they want you to use it, even though it isn't the "industry standard" when it comes to word processing.
For my side it's Google that is being the douche. But yeah -neither gives a damn about the user. They both would prefer a monopoly.

My husband is excited about the changes to Bing - they have incorporated an AI chat kind of like GPTChat into their search which he thinks will overshadow google's abilities. Apparently google's stock went down when Bing released it. At a certain point my eyes just glaze over as my husband goes on about computer stuff and what makes him excited though. I know this is his world but for me, I still can't get anything to work right so it doesn't matter what company makes it lol.

My husband is excited about the changes to Bing - they have incorporated an AI chat kind of like GPTChat into their search which he thinks will overshadow google's abilities. Apparently google's stock went down when Bing released it. At a certain point my eyes just glaze over as my husband goes on about computer stuff and what makes him excited though. I know this is his world but for me, I still can't get anything to work right so it doesn't matter what company makes it lol.
I use Bing so we shall see.

I’m a Linux “realist”.

While I do use it and support the concepts behind Linux, the reality can be daunting / dispiriting sometimes. You can’t, for example, do live streaming video in the way that we do Pop-Ups using Linux at the moment, the options are simply too limited.

But for most general-purpose work, e.g. word processing, browsing etc Linux is just fine. I suggest Ubuntu, it’s one of the biggest distros with lots of support.

I keep losing track of all the different posts I'm now a part of. This is why I don't usually participate in this stuff - I can't keep track of things unless it's laid out in a certain fashion! Anyway I just spoke to the hubster and he runs Linux for his work stuff too. He was smiling as I was explaining this thread. He's like, you guys are all talking about different things. A search engine, an operating system, writing software, it's like comparing apples to orangutans to vintage cars. He isn't wrong.

I’m a Linux “realist”.

While I do use it and support the concepts behind Linux, the reality can be daunting / dispiriting sometimes. You can’t, for example, do live streaming video in the way that we do Pop-Ups using Linux at the moment, the options are simply too limited.

But for most general-purpose work, e.g. word processing, browsing etc Linux is just fine. I suggest Ubuntu, it’s one of the biggest distros with lots of support.
Hubster said Linux is more of a hardcore programmer OS. He's a coder and he uses it for work, so I can see why it wouldn't be good for pop ups. This isn't really my world but when I look at the stuff he has open on his screen I can see what he means - I think it's intended use is for coding and the mechanics of things. When he isn't working he switches to Microsoft OS so he can watch basketball and soccer - UK football (have to be specific because we live in Texas and I don't want people to think we watch guys running around throwing balls through a big H giving each other concussions. I can't stand that sport.)

Hubster said Linux is more of a hardcore programmer OS. He's a coder and he uses it for work, so I can see why it wouldn't be good for pop ups. This isn't really my world but when I look at the stuff he has open on his screen I can see what he means - I think it's intended use is for coding and the mechanics of things. When he isn't working he switches to Microsoft OS so he can watch basketball and soccer - UK football (have to be specific because we live in Texas and I don't want people to think we watch guys running around throwing balls through a big H giving each other concussions. I can't stand that sport.)
The big H thingy is rugby. Winston Churchill called it "a hooligans' game played by gentlemen" because it was most popular among the public school fraternity. It probably still is. I can't think why biological females want to play it. Females are much more susceptible to side-effects of concussion, and now we know a significant proportion of the men suffer early onset dementia.

On the funny side, one of our physical education teachers in the convent school I went to got suspended for a week because she won a bet against her boyfriend by teaching our class one lesson of rugby.

On the not-so-funny side, one of my friends had to give up rugby because his retina got torn by a boot in the eye. He got better, but doctors told him that eye was now more fragile and another injury could blind him.

That's so weird. Growing up in Canada I had a girlfriend who played rugby, but guy friends who played American football. They were NOT the same sport. Don't ask me what the difference actually was because I think they were both pretty stupid and refused to watch. We just had the superbowl this past Sunday here in the States and Stan and I (he's the husband) totally spaced on it. We were like, why does everybody keep referencing "the big game"? What game is it? I googled and yeah, it was the superbowl. Funny how everybody back home told me to get ready for tailgating parties and stuff. I've been invited to one superbowl party in the ten years I've been here and still don't really know what a tailgating is unless it's traffic related.

That's so weird. Growing up in Canada I had a girlfriend who played rugby, but guy friends who played American football. They were NOT the same sport. Don't ask me what the difference actually was because I think they were both pretty stupid and refused to watch. We just had the superbowl this past Sunday here in the States and Stan and I (he's the husband) totally spaced on it. We were like, why does everybody keep referencing "the big game"? What game is it? I googled and yeah, it was the superbowl. Funny how everybody back home told me to get ready for tailgating parties and stuff. I've been invited to one superbowl party in the ten years I've been here and still don't really know what a tailgating is unless it's traffic related.
A tailgating party? Sounds like a massive conga through the streets.

I've only watched American football once. Or rather, a few minutes of it. Something started one helmeted, padded guy racing to the other end of the pitch while all the others stayed in the middle and purposefully crashed into each other. That's what it looked like. I laughed for a short while then yawned and changed channels. (Though I did enjoy the Mexican wave conversation in When Harry Met Sally.)

This might seem like it's out of the blue (cause it is) but @Vagabond Heart and myself have started a podcast! It's called The Darling Killers, and it's all about writing. We're still finding our feet, but the plan is to look at good (and bad) books, tv shows, movies, etc, in order to find out what makes stories work. During our first season we're talking about one of the pillars of writing...character! Episode 1 is up on our site and on Spotify, and should be up on all other main streaming platforms in the next 48 hours

This is all very new, and we've got quite a few episodes planned, but once I get a bit better at editing, I'd love to have some of you lovely colony members on as well! And @AgentPete of course

You can listen to us chatting here: The Darling Killers

View attachment 14874
Well done both, that’s amazing. I’ve subscribed and can’t wait to listen when I get some time. Good luck.

Hi, I just wanted to say I listened to your first episode and it’s fab; interesting, funny, informative and entertaining. I like the length and the structure of the chat and the back and forth between the two of you. Looking forward to the next episode
Rachael
Thank you so much Rachael, I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

Mid-forties? A babe, Chantal. You're a mere babe. 90 is olds.
I had a (very young, 21) co-worker try to explain why a Ukrainian journalist we were considering helping should not be a priority by noting, "Well, she's ancient, born in '69." the implication being, of course, basically dead. I suggested that as i was born almost a decade before the ancient one, i could see the journo hanging on for much of the next three months (the time for which she had asked for support).

I had a (very young, 21) co-worker try to explain why a Ukrainian journalist we were considering helping should not be a priority by noting, "Well, she's ancient, born in '69." the implication being, of course, basically dead. I suggested that as i was born almost a decade before the ancient one, i could see the journo hanging on for much of the next three months (the time for which she had asked for support).
I was in a “women supporting women” networking group before Covid. Some twenty something girl was saying how us older women felt intimidated by the younger ones in the workplace because we were feeling washed up and less energetic with our lives behind us, blah blah blah. The uproar that caused! I stood up and told her I wouldn’t do my twenties again for the my former body or boobs or all the money in the world. What an uncertain time that was. I’ll take the wisdom, experience and confidence any day. She can have her youth and naïveté.

Keep being an awesome person Matt and if there is a link later please post it.

The Darling Killers!! Ah, I love that you two are doing this @Vagabond Heart and @AnnieSummerlee!! So much fun listening to you both, and such great questions and chat, informative and analytical. Great way to structure the podcast. You packed a lot in, with good fun, while not pulling any punches. Brilliant! Annie, I loved that you cracked yourself up with the term "pantsers!" Made me lol. And the stuff on "core values" was really excellent. You're both so charming and compelling, wonderful to listen to. Look forward to more.

The Darling Killers!! Ah, I love that you two are doing this @Vagabond Heart and @AnnieSummerlee!! So much fun listening to you both, and such great questions and chat, informative and analytical. Great way to structure the podcast. You packed a lot in, with good fun, while not pulling any punches. Brilliant! Annie, I loved that you cracked yourself up with the term "pantsers!" Made me lol. And the stuff on "core values" was really excellent. You're both so charming and compelling, wonderful to listen to. Look forward to more.
I agree - the core values part was great. I wrote that down actually and put it in my notebook to refer back to. Do my characters actions reflect their core values, and if not then should it stay in the book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREAKING OUT

Exercise nothing to do with writing....

Back