Self publishing on a budget.

Amusement Best submission guidelines line...

PIRLS Report is Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you want to learn? Or pay someone else? When I do a format for eBook (don't do pb anymore - takes too much time), I charged USD$300 per day, and it often takes two days (or USD$2 per page if it's under 150 pages (later edit: a page is 250 words) - that's without any images and only the mss doc file).
To learn it yourself to save money and for future publication skills, I recommend getting a book on how to format in Word - that knowledge process can be used to figure out most of the other software. A quick guide 'What every author needs to know ...' (you can get a free copy from Smashwords), and for pb, I recommend this one [whoops, the one I chose is now out of print, so you'll have to do some searching - I suggest: how to format a book, and make sure it says 'for KDP' or 'Ingram' so you know it includes pb].
Unfortunately, I'm running Windows 11. So I couldn't follow this guide at all.:anxious-face-with-sweat:

I've been playing around with Canva today.
The trouble I'm coming up against is none of the stock images are right for my book.

My book is (I'm told) funny, and none of the images portray that. I've looked at Canva, Goonwrite, and MIBLArt. I've even played around with some AI generators.
Nothing fits and I can't afford the £150 - £300 for a custom job.

I'll just have to settle for a less than ideal cover for the time being.
Have you looked at stock images online, various sites. You can buy one image relatively cheaply and load into something like Canva to create a unique cover. Check the small print to ensure you can use it for x number of books for sale (often it states 10k books). Also, freelance sites like Fiver where you set your budget (however small) and creatives can bid for the work.

Have you looked at stock images online, various sites. You can buy one image relatively cheaply and load into something like Canva to create a unique cover. Check the small print to ensure you can use it for x number of books for sale (often it states 10k books). Also, freelance sites like Fiver where you set your budget (however small) and creatives can bid for the work.
yeah, I've been looking around image sites, too.

no one does funny.

Have you looked at Istock which is one of the largest. I‘d definitely look at Fiver for a bespoke design. I used something similar for my children’s book as I couldn’t find anything suitable on stock image sites.
Yeah. Istock has nothing and Fiver is too expensive

Unfortunately, I'm running Windows 11. So I couldn't follow this guide at all.:anxious-face-with-sweat:
I figured it was out of date, but there should still be similarities - specifically, the styles. That's the most important. Especially keeping the eBook down to no more than three styles. If you're not sure what these are, the attached doc highlights the bar. There have been other discussions in Litopia regarding styles, so maybe search around here, too.
What styles do you need?
One for the copyright page (for eBooks, a separate style isn't necessary, but I'd suggest centering at least), one for headings, and a normal (one normal indent, one normal no-indent). If you can figure out how to create and update styles, this is the most important skill to start with.
Learn that and you've saved several hundred dollars.
The title doesn't need a style, as there's only one. You can. It's simple enough. If you choose to 'design' the title yourself, don't get too fancy, as most eBook readers can 'adapt' the font and size to suit (and font usage has a price if you go for a fancy one - which also applies to font usage on covers).
Copyright page (aka colophon) is usually centred, with a smaller font.
Normal indent has a small indent, no space before or after.
Normal no-indent has no indent, no space before or after - unless the book is done entirely in block (all left aligned, no indents anywhere, in which case, 6pnts before or after, not both).
Headings are usually Heading 2, unless it's a book for subheadings (in which case, Heading 1 for main headings, heading 2 for subheadings, etc.).
In eBooks, do not justify text. It will look justified for the reader, but if the original doc is justified, it messes with the conversion and the output can be quite horrible (and often unreadable).
In an eBook, do not use page numbers, or any header or footer text. If you're doing non-fiction, and have footnotes and such, that's a separate learning curve (and a nightmare, depending on how and where you want the reader to 'see' the notes).

That's the very least to know, the absolute basics.

Attachments

• 222.docx
    186.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
I've been playing around with Canva today.
The trouble I'm coming up against is none of the stock images are right for my book.

My book is (I'm told) funny, and none of the images portray that. I've looked at Canva, Goonwrite, and MIBLArt. I've even played around with some AI generators.
Nothing fits and I can't afford the £150 - £300 for a custom job.

I'll just have to settle for a less than ideal cover for the time being.

Start building a social media presence. One of my carers has done marketing. PM if you want ideas. Or ask @Nikky Lee , she's in marketing and currently marketing her own book. Build interest and people will be curious enough to buy it.

Start building a social media presence. One of my carers has done marketing. PM if you want ideas. Or ask @Nikky Lee , she's in marketing and currently marketing her own book. Build interest and people will be curious enough to buy it.
This is the part I've been dreading ha.
I'm not even sure where to start with 'building a presence'

I figured it was out of date, but there should still be similarities - specifically, the styles. That's the most important. Especially keeping the eBook down to no more than three styles. If you're not sure what these are, the attached doc highlights the bar. There have been other discussions in Litopia regarding styles, so maybe search around here, too.
What styles do you need?
One for the copyright page (for eBooks, a separate style isn't necessary, but I'd suggest centering at least), one for headings, and a normal (one normal indent, one normal no-indent). If you can figure out how to create and update styles, this is the most important skill to start with.
Learn that and you've saved several hundred dollars.
The title doesn't need a style, as it's there's only one. You can. It's simple enough. If you choose to 'design' the title yourself, don't get too fancy, as most eBook readers can 'adapt' the font and size to suit (and font usage has a price if you go for a fancy one - which also applies to font usage on covers).
Copyright page (aka colphon) is usually centred, with a smaller font.
Normal indent has a small indent, no space before or after.
Normal no-indent has no indent, no space before or after - unless the book is done entirely in block (all left aligned, no indents anywhere, in which case, 6pnts before or after, not both).
Headings are usually Heading 2, unless it's a book for subheadings (in which case, Heading 1 for main headings, heading 2 for subheadings, etc.).
In eBooks, do not justify text. It will look justified for the reader, but if the original doc is justified, it messes with the conversion and the output can be quite horrible (and often unreadable).
In an eBook, do not use page numbers, or any header or footer text. If you're doing non-fiction, and have footnotes and such, that's a separate learning curve (and a nightmare, depending on how and where you want the reader to 'see' the notes).

That's the very least to know, the absolute basics.
Thanks for this. Great advice. I appreciate the time you've taken to write all of this.

Lots of work ahead it seems.

It may be worth checking out JA Konrath, an indie author who does well. He's always got interesting posts and comments on his blog: a newbie's guide to publishing. Check out this post, in particular, but be aware of all the other things he does to get eyes on the prize.

It may be worth checking out JA Konrath, an indie author who does well. He's always got interesting posts and comments on his blog: a newbie's guide to publishing. Check out this post, in particular, but be aware of all the other things he does to get eyes on the prize.
Very interesting.
I'll have to spend some time after work today reading through his posts.

I notice he hasn't blogged since summer 2019. Do you know why?

I follow this Kiwi author's podcast and she did a great episode on marketing on a tight budget:

As for building a presence, my recommendation is to start with 1 social media platform, get familiar with it and then expand to others. Don't start a bunch of new platforms all at once as you'll get overwhelmed. As for choosing which platform, consider where your readers are and how much time and creative energy you have to invest in building a following there (e.g. Twitter is quick to use and post on, Facebook middling, Instagram and TikTok require a lot more creative time to prepare the images/photos/video and post them).

The other thing I'd say is start a mailing list now. There are heaps of free platforms you can use—MailChimp, Mailerlite etc. Email is still very effective marketing wise and having a mailing list means you're not subject to the whims of a social media company changing its algorithm or banning/shadow banning you.

Very interesting.
I'll have to spend some time after work today reading through his posts.

I notice he hasn't blogged since summer 2019. Do you know why?
He's still writing and publishing, but the blog got too much when he suffered some ill-health. He's left the blog up 'for anyone interested'.

A copy of the entry in the SIG forum:
Re: author collaboration
the answer is in collaboration.
Yes, it is - even for such things as editing and proofreading. However, if you get someone to help with these for no remuneration and then don't return the favour (regardless of the dismay you get when reading their work), you'll have to go it alone. Which can be done.
You can edit and proofread your own work. You can get critiques and filter the feedback. You can look at how stories are shaped and sharpened. You can proofread using a free sw program, or go it alone using your knowledge. Some people are good at one thing, some at others - but you can learn them all.
And learn them as you go, because 97% of people who get into writing never finish their first go at a novel, and you'll lose 'helpers' along the way. You'll need to learn it as you go.
Don't rush into publishing. If you're still working on the trilogy (or however many books it is), keep learning until you have all the books in the series finished.
What that means is that you'll have learned more trade skills you can apply to the earlier novels - before publishing them, and will have a marketing strategy based on a quick release (monthly is good for fantasy).
It doesn't have to cost money, but everything has a price. Whether time or effort or both, consider what you're willing to put into it, and be willing to do for others what they do for you.
Or give up.
In terms of promoting other authors, I won't do it if I haven't read the book and enjoyed it. And I won't buy a book that's overpriced or badly written (yes, I can get the gist within the first few pages - but if that's nice and polished and I get to the second or last third and the writing is scrappy or loose or a complete change from the opening, they won't get a good review. That's my reputation ruined if I do that, and there are enough people out there writing five star reviews that I will never trust again, or work with).
Authors promoting authors is good in principle, but if anything is off about it, consider how your reputation will suffer - and, once burnt, readers never give second chances.

I agree with Cage about collaboration (wise words as always). And choose the right people carefully because:

However, if you get someone to help with these for no remuneration and then don't return the favour (regardless of the dismay you get when reading their work)..........
I agree with that too. Too many times it becomes a one way street.

Helping someone (by giving feedback, by giving advice, by participating in the forum ect) takes a hec of a lot of time and effort if it's done with thought and care, not just a frivolous quick read to give a quick response. Even a short blurb can take a fair amount of energy if done with thought. I easily spend a couple of hours on someone's short blurb. Reciprocating is important.

I've noticed there are some who don't reciprocate. I have seen it in the workshops. Turn up, ask for crit, walk off. Never help others. I don't help or stop helping those who don't reciprocate. They don't appreciate help. Same goes for the "no thankers".

I had a reminder the other day when I helped someone, gave feedback, spent ages and effort doing it and I didn't even get a thank you, just silence. 2 days later I still got no thanks but the next draft asking for more feedback, no words of appreciation in there just a what do you think about this now. Well, my thoughts were something along the lines of I don't think so, mate. It's rude and ungrateful. But it's the me-me-me world. Some people are selfish. Don't waste your time on folk like that. Just weed those out. I have.

I now only help friends and those who help others. I'm slow at it because my time has been very restricted recently.

And yes, like Cage said: prepare to put effort and time in and reciprocate in the best way you can. We cant expect somerhing for nothing. You don't have to be an expert at a particular thing. You can be helpful to someone in so many ways. Just apply what you have learnt from your writing to someone else's. How would you self edit yours? Do that with theirs.

I find collaboration and trading skills very rewarding. And it makes writing feel less lonely. You'll like it as well

Payment doesn't have to be in form of money, it can come by giving time. There needs to be balance. But if you collaborate, you'll discover whole new and wonderful level of working.

Don't rush into publishing
Agree. It's tempting to rush it out. If you want to publish because you need to make money, get a second job. Don't rush your product out.
In terms of promoting other authors, I won't do it if I haven't read the book and enjoyed it
I have 2 profiles on Goodreads for that reason. My author profile, and my "I'm your friend I wan't to give you a review" profile. Having said that I don't use Goodreads often enough. I should.
Authors promoting authors is good in principle, but if anything is off about it, consider how your reputation will suffer - and, once burnt, readers never give second chances.
Agree. Be mindful when you put reviews up.

Good luck. You can do this.

Last edited:
Yes, I've had some less than grateful experiences here, too. Thankfully, it is a rarity and the offenders seem to have abandoned the site shortly after.
You're right, you get out of Litopia what you put in. I try to log in at least once a day to have a poke around and leave a comment or two. Sometimes, i find I can't help, but i at least read the piece before i come to that conclusion.

My current problem is that my book is at copy edit stage. I've had some wonderful Litopians beta read it and point me to areas of weakness in the plot, which i have addressed, but i feel uncomfortable asking people to copy edit the book. It is a huge time sink.
But then, i also can't afford a professional, and I can't get an agent...which leaves me to do it myself.

I dont know. Are people willing to copy edit whole books for each other? It's a significant step up in effort from beta reading.
I think personally, I would if asked, as long as they weren't expecting a quick turn around lol.

I dont know. Are people willing to copy edit whole books for each other? It's a significant step up in effort from beta reading.
I think personally, I would if asked, as long as they weren't expecting a quick turn around lol.
My understanding of copy editing is that it's a whole skill in itself. Even if I wanted to help somebody copy edit, there's no way I have that skill level. There's a difference between knowing your grammar and seriously Knowing your grammar. Not to mention the dark arts of tone and syntax. Plus having that analytical practice at spotting inconsistencies.

Obviously this can all be learned, as people have learned it. But I imagine it would take a good deal of time to get to the same skill level as a professional.

I'm hopefully meeting up with a friend of a friend next month who makes £££ self-publishing. Will report back on any useful tips!

My understanding of copy editing is that it's a whole skill in itself. Even if I wanted to help somebody copy edit, there's no way I have that skill level. There's a difference between knowing your grammar and seriously Knowing your grammar. Not to mention the dark arts of tone and syntax. Plus having that analytical practice at spotting inconsistencies.

Obviously this can all be learned, as people have learned it. But I imagine it would take a good deal of time to get to the same skill level as a professional.

I'm hopefully meeting up with a friend of a friend next month who makes £££ self-publishing. Will report back on any useful tips!
I don't know. I've been researching copyediting for the past few days and it honestly doesn't look that hard.
A good grasp of the english language and grammar rules is all you really need. If you know what you're looking for, you can probably do it.
Hiring a professional gives peace of mind though, i will admit. I'd always be wondering if I'd missed something if I did it myself.

I don't know. I've been researching copyediting for the past few days and it honestly doesn't look that hard.
A good grasp of the english language and grammar rules is all you really need. If you know what you're looking for, you can probably do it.
Hiring a professional gives peace of mind though, i will admit. I'd always be wondering if I'd missed something if I did it myself.
I think the trouble, when copy editing your own work, is you know the story too well. You know what the words should mean, how the grammar should be, how the words are spelt (or spelled), but the wood hides the faults in the trees. It is part of the Gestalt principle of perception. The advantage of an external copy editor is that they don't know the story so can scrutinize the trees.

Helping someone (by giving feedback, by giving advice, by participating in the forum ect) takes a hec of a lot of time and effort if it's done with thought and care, not just a frivolous quick read to give a quick response. Even a short blurb can take a fair amount of energy if done with thought. I easily spend a couple of hours on someone's short blurb. Reciprocating is important.

Totally agree with everything. I've spent days on some work (multiple times, different writers over the years, only to go post my comments to find the post gone, if not the writer done from Litopia!)

I hear you on thanks B. I know who you mean. I had the same experience, same writer.

IMHO, if you reach out to someone, do it thoughtfully and respectfully.

I think @Robinne Weiss's tip is to read/edit backwards?

I agree with Cage about collaboration (wise words as always). And choose the right people carefully because:

I agree with that too. Too many times it becomes a one way street.

I've noticed there are some who don't reciprocate. I have seen it in the workshops. Turn up, ask for crit, walk off. Never help others. I don't help or stop helping those who don't reciprocate. They don't appreciate help. Same goes for the "no thankers".

I had a reminder the other day when I helped someone, gave feedback, spent ages and effort doing it and I didn't even get a thank you, just silence. 2 days later I still got no thanks but the next draft asking for more feedback, no words of appreciation in there just a what do you think about this now. Well, my thoughts were something along the lines of I don't think so, mate. It's rude and ungrateful. But it's the me-me-me world. Some people are selfish. Don't waste your time on folk like that. Just weed those out. I have.

I now only help friends and those who help others. I'm slow at it because my time has been very restricted recently.

And yes, like Cage said: prepare to put effort and time in and reciprocate in the best way you can. We cant expect somerhing for nothing. You don't have to be an expert at a particular thing. You can be helpful to someone in so many ways. Just apply what you have learnt from your writing to someone else's. How would you self edit yours? Do that with theirs.

I find collaboration and trading skills very rewarding. And it makes writing feel less lonely. You'll like it as well

Payment doesn't have to be in form of money, it can come by giving time. There needs to be balance. But if you collaborate, you'll discover whole new and wonderful level of working.

Agree. It's tempting to rush it out. If you want to publish because you need to make money, get a second job. Don't rush your product out.

I have 2 profiles on Goodreads for that reason. My author profile, and my "I'm your friend I wan't to give you a review" profile. Having said that I don't use Goodreads often enough. I should.

Agree. Be mindful when you put reviews up.

Good luck. You can do this.
I am guilty of this. I'm aware that I ask for more help than I actually give, and I feel terrible about it. Unfortunately, this period of my life is really hard and I'm trying to keep my entire family's heads above water. I'm also not particularly good at spelling/grammar (and certainly not punctuation :oops:) and consider myself a 'beginner', so I'm not terribly confident in my ability to say anything useful.

I am guilty of this. I'm aware that I ask for more help than I actually give, and I feel terrible about it. Unfortunately, this period of my life is really hard and I'm trying to keep my entire family's heads above water. I'm also not particularly good at spelling/grammar (and certainly not punctuation :oops:) and consider myself a 'beginner', so I'm not terribly confident in my ability to say anything useful.
Gawd, yeah, I know what you mean. Life can be so hard to juggle sometimes. Esp when it's family. I too have a tendency to take on too much. And it's not always a time thing either. Head space too can be hard to find. During those times I tend to hide away in my little cave and neither ask for help nor give help, because I can't integrate the help anyway and I can't reciprocate with anything of use. Sometimes I have to hide away for ages. Don't undersell your input @Rachel Caldecott . You're insights are always spot on. You have a way of cutting through to the crux of it (is that the right expression?), to the essence. Your comments on mine have always been fab.

I wonder if Litopia could do with a 'status' button to click were we can show a 'BETA reading status' with either 'Available' or 'Hiding away', which we can click and unclick depending on if we have time. I might suggest that over in the other thread in Cafe Life.

Last edited:
I know an English teacher. When my book is ready, I might ask her if she would trade with me:

she checks my grammar, I mow of her lawn and weed her garden. Similar tasks, right?

I've traded stuff like that before with others. Works.

Last edited:
Really agree with the points above. Collaborating with others is so beneficial. One of the first things that struck me once I started to do it is how beneficial giving feedback is. I honestly think I have learnt more doing this than asking for help.

And could not agree more strongly. It's a matter of good manners and it should be a two-way street.

It frustrates me when people join the Colony and head straight for the Workshops to post their work and expect oodles of feedback on day one. It's often the case they even haven't had the basic good manners to introduce themselves, let alone (heaven forbid) offer so much as a crumb of help to others.

Then of course having used our resource and time they clear off never to be seen again.

I wonder if Litopia could do with a 'status' button to click were we can show 'Available for BETA reading' which we can click and unclick depending on if we have time. I might suggest that over in the other thread in Cafe Life.
This is a good idea @Barbara Post it as a suggestion in the "Site revamp" thread.

Gawd, yeah, I know what you mean. Life can be so hard to juggle sometimes. Esp when it's family. I too have a tendency to take on too much. And it's not always a time thing either. Head space too can be hard to find. During those times I tend to hide away in my little cave and neither ask for help nor give help, because I can't integrate the help anyway and I can't reciprocate with anything of use. Sometimes I have to hide away for ages. Don't undersell your input @Rachel Caldecott . You're insights are always spot on. You have a way of cutting through to the crux of it (is that the right expression?), to the essence. Your comments on mine have always been fab.

I wonder if Litopia could do with a 'status' button to click were we can show a 'BETA reading status' with either 'Available' or 'Hiding away', which we can click and unclick depending on if we have time. I might suggest that over in the other thread in Cafe Life.
I agree. Sometimes I find I'm not getting any of my own work done so I have to hide or say no.

I like this idea--I don't always think to check the workshops, and when I do, I invariably feel like I've missed the threads where I would have felt competent to provide feedback. But I'm almost always open to Beta reading within my genre(s).

I like this idea--I don't always think to check the workshops, and when I do, I invariably feel like I've missed the threads where I would have felt competent to provide feedback. But I'm almost always open to Beta reading within my genre(s).
“Within my genre” is also a key factor. I don’t generally read fantasy, so don’t feel at ease commenting in that genre.

This is a good idea @Barbara Post it as a suggestion in the "Site revamp" thread.

Could be part of the profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Best submission guidelines line...

PIRLS Report is Out!

Back