Self publishing on a budget.

Amusement Best submission guidelines line...

PIRLS Report is Out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake E

Apr 6, 2020
England
Hi all,

Looking for advice on self publishing without any money. In this economy, especially in the UK, money is tight and there's not a lot spare for things like this.

@CageSage, could you share your thoughts/experience/wisdom?

You've written the story, got feedback and incorporated it to make the story as strong as possible. Done all the proofreading and decided to go for it off your own back.

This is what you need/need to do:
1. A blurb and a tag-line. Yes, these come before the cover in case you want to put the tag-line on the cover. It's also a great way to use social media to hook a few interested eyes when you pre-sell it before publication date.
2. Set the publication date. Not too soon.
3. Find a cover. This can be something you get done, or something you do yourself. Lots of people do it, but a bad cover can kill a good book. A cover MUST convey the genre and tone of the story at the very least. If you have an eye for creating things of artistic merit - or even half a mind to give it a damned good go (or use an AI program to get it part-right and then 'fix' it to suit your book). GIMP is free software, as is
4. Release strategy. Once you have the cover and the blurb/tag-line, you can start putting it out on social media and put it up for pre-release (you need an account for this, but keep reading for what choices there are). Good lead-times and regular sightings can improve sales (but not spamming).
5. Format the text. There are two versions, at least. One is the eBook formatting. This needs to be kept as simple as possible so the platform doesn't spit it back at you. Do you know how to format? Or do you have a program that can create an ePub for you? If you have no idea, you'll need some help. Formatting can make or break - it takes time to 'fix' and reload, sometimes days, during which time the book is seen and judged. And they (new book browsers) never give second chances.
The question of a paperback - do you want to hold the book in your hand? If so, you need to format for a paperback. This is very different to formatting for eBook, and it's quite complex. There are books that can help. If you want a recommendation, ask, and I'll look them up. You'll also need to know HOW to put the pb together, which pages go where and why, and how to page number without putting a page number on a new chapter page, etc. And convert it to pdf.
This hasn't yet covered where or how to upload, but because you've said 'no money outlay', it can only be Amazon, where your book can be allocated an ISBN they issue (not a good idea, but free).
However, I'd suggest not preparing a pb until after you get good sales on the eBook. Why? Because if you decide to get rid of the book for any reason whatsoever, the pb version remains in public places (they have a reason, but I've forgotten it - you can look it up).
6. Who/where to upload the files? I'd suggest starting with Amazon because you don't need to pay for an ISBN (I don't know if you live in a country that offers free ISBN numbers, but there aren't that many (Canada? New Zealand?) so I'm assuming you'd have to pay for ISBN if not subbing to Amazon. D2D and Smashwords are now merged into one company, but it's a bit messy atm, and the sales and distribution have struggled - as have payments being returned to authors.
So, make an account with Amazon. Self Publishing | Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (I don't know which country you're in, but this is the only site I get for Author Central). If you're a customer already, you can make a KDP account using the same logon credentials. Then follow the instructions. KDP pages (Create a Book) have all the info you need. I'm not putting it here because it changes regularly. You need to know it and accept it.
Uploading: I'm only talking Amazon here. They have KDP pages to help you go through the process. Remember, the Title, subtitle, Author name, and something else (can't remember off-hand, but you should read everything carefully before entering a single bit, byte, or character. Requesting changes (with any of the platforms) can be torture, and often fails to fix the issue.
When uploading, it takes time, and you need to take time to review the document before going further (this is the step after the document and cover are uploaded. Allow time to look at every page. Every page.
Set up an author page. Amazon Author - This is not the same as a KDP publisher account. This enables you to create an 'About the Author' bit of schmoozing - it's as important as a great blurb. Don't forget to put (at the bottom of a short spiel) a link to web page or social media. And keep it up to date.
7. Wait. If you do no advertising, or no social networking, or fail to put it into KDP Select (makes it exclusive to Amazon for 90 days (and if you put it there but don't want to keep it there, update the three horizontal buttons to ensure it's not on auto, because once it's set, it can't be taken off and if you publish elsewhere while it's in Select, you risk being banned), you won't get many sales. No book is good enough if nothing is done to get it in front of an audience. Find the freebie places that do these things and offer free or beta copies - reviews count for more than blood on your pen-sword.

Not scared off yet? Good. It's not as bad as it sounds. Thousands of people do it, and it's only the first time that's the most painful, headache inducing process. After that, you have an idea of what to do, where, how, and why.

So, blurb and tag-line, cover, release strategy, document formatting (x2 if you want pb), platform choice. Simple, once you know how to get them done.

Do we say 'break a leg' in this business? If not, how about 'cut a quill'?

Edit: my cat helped me write this, so if there are errors, please take into account that he is an apprentice and let me know the bleeps.

You've written the story, got feedback and incorporated it to make the story as strong as possible. Done all the proofreading and decided to go for it off your own back.

1. A blurb and a tag-line. Yes, these come before the cover in case you want to put the tag-line on the cover. It's also a great way to use social media to hook a few interested eyes when you pre-sell it before publication date.
3. Find a cover. This can be something you get done, or something you do yourself. Lots of people do it, but a bad cover can kill a good book. A cover MUST convey the genre and tone of the story at the very least. If you have an eye for creating things of artistic merit - or even half a mind to give it a damned good go (or use an AI program to get it part-right and then 'fix' it to suit your book). GIMP is free software, as is
4. Release strategy. Once you have the cover and the blurb/tag-line, you can start putting it out on social media and put it up for pre-release (you need an account for this, but keep reading for what choices there are). Good lead-times and regular sightings can improve sales (but not spamming).
5. Format the text. There are two versions, at least. One is the eBook formatting. This needs to be kept as simple as possible so the platform doesn't spit it back at you. Do you know how to format? Or do you have a program that can create an ePub for you? If you have no idea, you'll need some help. Formatting can make or break - it takes time to 'fix' and reload, sometimes days, during which time the book is seen and judged. And they (new book browsers) never give second chances.
The question of a paperback - do you want to hold the book in your hand? If so, you need to format for a paperback. This is very different to formatting for eBook, and it's quite complex. There are books that can help. If you want a recommendation, ask, and I'll look them up. You'll also need to know HOW to put the pb together, which pages go where and why, and how to page number without putting a page number on a new chapter page, etc. And convert it to pdf.
This hasn't yet covered where or how to upload, but because you've said 'no money outlay', it can only be Amazon, where your book can be allocated an ISBN they issue (not a good idea, but free).
However, I'd suggest not preparing a pb until after you get good sales on the eBook. Why? Because if you decide to get rid of the book for any reason whatsoever, the pb version remains in public places (they have a reason, but I've forgotten it - you can look it up).
6. Who/where to upload the files? I'd suggest starting with Amazon because you don't need to pay for an ISBN (I don't know if you live in a country that offers free ISBN numbers, but there aren't that many (Canada? New Zealand?) so I'm assuming you'd have to pay for ISBN if not subbing to Amazon. D2D and Smashwords are now merged into one company, but it's a bit messy atm, and the sales and distribution have struggled - as have payments being returned to authors.
So, make an account with Amazon. Self Publishing | Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (I don't know which country you're in, but this is the only site I get for Author Central). If you're a customer already, you can make a KDP account using the same logon credentials. Then follow the instructions. KDP pages (Create a Book) have all the info you need. I'm not putting it here because it changes regularly. You need to know it and accept it.
Uploading: I'm only talking Amazon here. They have KDP pages to help you go through the process. Remember, the Title, subtitle, Author name, and something else (can't remember off-hand, but you should read everything carefully before entering a single bit, byte, or character. Requesting changes (with any of the platforms) can be torture, and often fails to fix the issue.
When uploading, it takes time, and you need to take time to review the document before going further (this is the step after the document and cover are uploaded. Allow time to look at every page. Every page.
Set up an author page. Amazon Author - This is not the same as a KDP publisher account. This enables you to create an 'About the Author' bit of schmoozing - it's as important as a great blurb. Don't forget to put (at the bottom of a short spiel) a link to web page or social media. And keep it up to date.
7. Wait. If you do no advertising, or no social networking, or fail to put it into KDP Select (makes it exclusive to Amazon for 90 days (and if you put it there but don't want to keep it there, update the three horizontal buttons to ensure it's not on auto, because once it's set, it can't be taken off and if you publish elsewhere while it's in Select, you risk being banned), you won't get many sales. No book is good enough if nothing is done to get it in front of an audience. Find the freebie places that do these things and offer free or beta copies - reviews count for more than blood on your pen-sword.

Not scared off yet? Good. It's not as bad as it sounds. Thousands of people do it, and it's only the first time that's the most painful, headache inducing process. After that, you have an idea of what to do, where, how, and why.

So, blurb and tag-line, cover, release strategy, document formatting (x2 if you want pb), platform choice. Simple, once you know how to get them done.

Edit: my cat helped me write this, so if there are errors, please take into account that he is an apprentice and let me know the bleeps.
Amazing, thank you.
I will definitely take a tentative first toe dip i this weekend (when my home internet is fixed)

As for covers, you could be lucky to find a pre-made cover that suits your needs. Some sites have an online edit function to let you insert title etc, others do it for you.

the only advice i can give for getting your book known is to, once it's out to the public, market, market, market! you might have to annoy everyone you know to buy your book, but if they do, it'll be worth it! don't forget, you've got friends here in litopia to assist you in advertisement via incessant exposure. i'm afraid i might only be able to share it with kids my age, but i'd be glad to help anyway i can when it's published! :)

Re covers: MIBLArt based in the Ukraine, is very affordable. They have a range of Premade and covers to order, in several categories. They are also really pleasant to work with.
Having self-published two books, a word of warning. Don't expect your Facebook friends to rush out and buy your books. It'll only lead to disappointment. You will have to self-promote/market. However, I'm going to go back and read Cagesage's advice here, because it is very good.
If you publish with Amazon, signing up for the KU programme kind of helps (because you earn a tiny pittance with every page read), but then you are limited to working with Amazon only. So swings and roundabouts, really.

I don't have any graphic designer friends ha ha.
Also, I'm about as good at art as I am at breathing underwater
it's easier than you might think! if you know the mood and theme of your book (basically the "aesthetic" of it all), have some sense of design, and can type canva.com into your web browser, you're pretty good. i haven't read your MS (though i'd very much like to) so i can't be of much help with it specifically, but even just drawing a sketch/idea for your cover would be progress. my brain is pretty much only writing and art (and snacks), so i can be of help with the composition of the cover if not the cover itself.

also, you can always resort to making a cover yourself or getting an artist/graphic designer friend to do it for you. self-publishing is a great time to start cashing in favors, i think!
That's possibly true, however, from the artist's pov, it is not so good. I don't know any artist who falls for that line of "it'll be good promotion for your work". Sorry. Also, cover illustrations are time-consuming. Miblart gives, if I remember correctly, up to three re-dos/adjustments. Each one takes time to do. If you were to ask a struggling artist to do several versions for free until you were happy with it, I think they'd think you were being cheeky. (That's the polite expression). Also, the last thing: it is a sure way to lose friends. Some sort of payment must be made (even if it is an exchange of services rather than cash).

That's possibly true, however, from the artist's pov, it is not so good. I don't know any artist who falls for that line of "it'll be good promotion for your work". Sorry. Also, cover illustrations are time-consuming. Miblart gives, if I remember correctly, up to three re-dos/adjustments. Each one takes time to do. If you were to ask a struggling artist to do several versions for free until you were happy with it, I think they'd think you were being cheeky. (That's the polite expression). Also, the last thing: it is a sure way to lose friends. Some sort of payment must be made (even if it is an exchange of services rather than cash).
yes, thank you for adding this. "do it for the exposure" is a HUGE artist pet peeve. very few of them have time to spend on something that earns them no money, as with all professions.

Yes. I would never ask an artist to work for anything other than cold hard cash. The trouble is, I can't afford to pay them what they are asking. (No shade is being thrown here. They charge what they are worth, I simply don't have the funds).
It will definitely come down to me doing it myself.

i haven't read your MS (though i'd very much like to)

You're very welcome to. I can send the first few chapters your way once my internet is fixed.

my brain is pretty much only writing and art (and snacks), so i can be of help with the composition of the cover if not the cover itself.
That is very kind of you to offer. I will definitely get your POV on anything I put together.

Yes. I would never ask an artist to work for anything other than cold hard cash. The trouble is, I can't afford to pay them what they are asking. (No shade is being thrown here. They charge what they are worth, I simply don't have the funds).

You're very welcome to. I can send the first few chapters your way once my internet is fixed.

That is very kind of you to offer. I will definitely get your POV on anything I put together.
I can't tell you how much I relate to this problem. Zero budget for books. Zero money in the account. Living on benefits and debt, and getting my food from a food bank once a week. So, I don't advertise my books, simply because I can't afford to. Editing and cover designs will be your biggest expenses.
Someone advised that when doing your own edit, try printing it or displaying it on screen in a different font or something. It is easier to spot mistakes that way. I tried it and it works. It is so hard editing one's own work after x number of goes.

I was lucky because my copy editor is a professional (she works for big publishers and famous authors) but she is also my best friend and will fit in my manuscripts between paying jobs. But I couldn't normally afford a copy editor.

You could ask Litopians for help. There is a solid group of awesome people here, who are willing to help/advise/critique/line edit. Just tell them what you are looking for. Once you've fixed all the boo-boos pointed out by the above-mentioned Litopians, try to get a group of a minimum of 5 beta readers from the outside world. Ideally, beta readers who like the genre, and are a mix of 'civilians' and writers, who know the genre.

Good luck!!

Following this thread with interest as I am also dipping my toe into this idea, but also have no money. Out of interest I began playing with cover art, bearing in mind graphic design skill level of a dead badger. I just began throwing royalty free images into Procreate (kind of like Paint on steroids) and...made a Thing! What I would say is that was a very fun way to spend an hour or so :D But May need the services of a professional. Canvas have a lot of predesigned covers that look professional, although you may struggle to find something that suits your genre. I can see your cover as something bright and illustrated.A3AEABFF-6FC0-446C-B0EA-C7EACC65154D.jpeg

Following this thread with interest as I am also dipping my toe into this idea, but also have no money. Out of interest I began playing with cover art, bearing in mind graphic design skill level of a dead badger. I just began throwing royalty free images into Procreate (kind of like Paint on steroids) and...made a Thing! What I would say is that was a very fun way to spend an hour or so :D But May need the services of a professional. Canvas have a lot of predesigned covers that look professional, although you may struggle to find something that suits your genre. I can see your cover as something bright and illustrated.View attachment 15390

I'll definitely check out some of those sites and start playing around.
That's a great cover you've made btw.

. I can see your cover as something bright and illustrated
Yes. I agree. I think I'll need something cartoony for the cover art to match the humourous tone of my book.

Hi all,

Looking for advice on self publishing without any money. In this economy, especially in the UK, money is tight and there's not a lot spare for things like this.

@CageSage, could you share your thoughts/experience/wisdom?
For covers try www.goonwrite.com they supply ready made covers by genre at very reasonable prices (approximately £35) you might find one that works for your book. Also, Canva.

Budget is always the killer, isn't it? After a few years of writing full time, I took a job to support my writing habit. LOL! I've learned that in order to put out a book I'm proud of and willing to market, I need to pay for a copy editor and a cover designer. For developmental editing, I rely on two to three rounds of beta readers (paid in undying love and affection, books, and/or MS swaps) and I do my own final proofreading (my trick is to read the book backwards, one sentence at a time--forces you to ignore the story and focus on the mechanics of each sentence. Boring as f**k, but effective). I agree with @Rachel Caldecott that MIBLArt is a decent cheap cover option, depending on who you get as your designer. I've had one excellent experience and one in which they simply couldn't hit the genre (they made a great cover ... it just didn't fit my book). They were lovely about it when I said it wasn't going to work for me, and charged me nothing for their effort. I hope they managed to sell the cover as a premade--it really was excellent.

Something that a number of my author friends are doing these days is using crowdfunding to drum up the funds for publishing--a LOT of work, but if you've got a good network, it seems effective.

Covers are important, but don't forget about the formatting - it takes a lot more time than you think and if done wrong can increase the size of the file and lose you money when they charge fees for oversize file transfers.
Can you format? Do you know styles, etc? You'll need this, or it will be another outgoing.

I would never ask an artist to work for anything other than cold hard cash. The trouble is, I can't afford to pay them what they are asking. (No shade is being thrown here. They charge what they are worth, I simply don't have the funds).

You can also purchase a picture (though I can't remember if that's an expensive option. It might be too much). The friend who did my cover dabbled in graphic art and his tip was to buy the highest resolution possible (if you went that way). My only advice re: covers would be to make a colour palette mood board - something you can play with while you decide your cover's colour palette.

You could ask Litopians for help. There is a solid group of awesome people here, who are willing to help/advise/critique/line edit. Just tell them what you are looking for. Once you've fixed all the boo-boos pointed out by the above-mentioned Litopians, try to get a group of a minimum of 5 beta readers from the outside world. Ideally, beta readers who like the genre, and are a mix of 'civilians' and writers, who know the genre.

I'm happy to help out :)

My biggest mistake was not doing marketing before the book was released. I don't remember how you feel about social media but you really need to try and use it to generate interest before the book is released. I hate social media, but regardless which path I go down, I've picked Instagram for my platform. I reluctantly realise I need it.

I don't know a lot about formatting.
Do you want to learn? Or pay someone else? When I do a format for eBook (don't do pb anymore - takes too much time), I charged USD$300 per day, and it often takes two days (or USD$2 per page if it's under 150 pages (later edit: a page is 250 words) - that's without any images and only the mss doc file).
To learn it yourself to save money and for future publication skills, I recommend getting a book on how to format in Word - that knowledge process can be used to figure out most of the other software. A quick guide 'What every author needs to know ...' (you can get a free copy from Smashwords), and for pb, I recommend this one [whoops, the one I chose is now out of print, so you'll have to do some searching - I suggest: how to format a book, and make sure it says 'for KDP' or 'Ingram' so you know it includes pb].

Attachments

• what-every-author-needs-to-know-about-microsoft-word-styles.pdf
    476.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
That was always the line when I was a working musician. The caterer, the stage hands, everyone got paid but us musicians... "So grateful to the band for donating their music..."

For covers, you can also try Canva. You can get a free trial for the pro version and access loads of royalty free images as well as cool fonts. Plus they've got book cover templates. I've played around with it a bit and wouldn't mind helping.

For covers, you can also try Canva. You can get a free trial for the pro version and access loads of royalty free images as well as cool fonts. Plus they've got book cover templates. I've played around with it a bit and wouldn't mind helping.
I've been playing around with Canva today.
The trouble I'm coming up against is none of the stock images are right for my book.

My book is (I'm told) funny, and none of the images portray that. I've looked at Canva, Goonwrite, and MIBLArt. I've even played around with some AI generators.
Nothing fits and I can't afford the £150 - £300 for a custom job.

I'll just have to settle for a less than ideal cover for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement Best submission guidelines line...

PIRLS Report is Out!

Back