Request to use story in an anthology

Does inspiration become commonplace?

The twitter lifestyle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinne Weiss

May 19, 2015
New Zealand
So, I got an e-mail today and I'm curious what your take is on it. The e-mail was from an e-zine in which one of my stories was published a couple of years ago. The e-zine has since closed, but the publisher is apparently creating an anthology of the stories to be distributed as a free e-book. Now, I'm not worried about getting paid for the story--I wasn't paid for the original publication, and it's not a story that I think has great potential for paid publication, frankly. So I'd be fine having it included in a free e-book.

However, the wording of the agreement she sent says nothing about the anthology being free. While I'm happy to have my work included in a free anthology, and not get paid for it, I don't want my work in a for-profit venture and not get compensation.

I hate to just say no, because it will give a second life to a story I'd thought had run its course, but I also hate to say yes, because it really would irk me if she charged for the anthology. Would it be rude to ask for her to add that detail into the agreement?

No. Never fear making a change to a contract. Just add in "free e-book, not to be published in any for profit formats". If you sign the rights to the free e-book, the anthology can still be sold in audio, hardcover and mass market formats for profit. It can also be translated and sold in other languages for profit. That's where a literary lawyer is important.

Bob - It all depends on how big a deal it would be for you if it were sold for profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Does inspiration become commonplace?

The twitter lifestyle?

Back