• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Service Update Please Put Your Hands Together For…!

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
United-Nations
As you may know, the Colony mostly runs pretty smoothly; with little or none of the rancour, abuse and sometimes sheer hatred that sours much of the rest of the web.

One of the reasons for this is the indefatigable, yet mostly invisible, work of the Guardians.

We’ve been very fortunate in having terrific Guardians over the years; folk who simply want to help the Colony continue to be the rather unique place it is, and who are happy to work behind the scenes to achieve that.

Every few years a Guardian retires and a new volunteer takes their place. We have a tradition that the retiring Guardian becomes an “Emeritus” member here – you will be able to spot who they are because they sport a rare but rather natty “Emeritus” badge.

That tradition is about to be re-enacted.

So please squeeze up a bit, grab a libation and pass me the ceremonial dagger. (That last bit is optional).

@Ancora Imparo – or Kay if I may – thank you so much for your good work here over the past (more than) three years. Your presence has been deeply appreciated by all, not the least by me. Your good sense, diligence and expert knowledge have all contributed to making the Colony a truly special place. Thank you for your service to everyone who counts Litopia as their writing home. You now join the ranks of the Emeritae :)

@Vagabond Heart – or Bev if I may – thank you for agreeing to step into Kay’s more-than-capable shoes, and I do look forward to showing you the levers behind the scenes and generally having a spiffing time!

To both of you: your more-than-generous work to help and support your fellow writers here in the Colony is genuinely public-spirited and deeply appreciated. I know I speak for everyone when I say we are all deeply grateful for the time you spend here and your hard work to keep the Colony’s wheels turning.

:) p.

Thank you @Ancora Imparo for everything I don't know that you do. (Plus great critique! How did you find the time!!). @Vagabond Heart, glad to see that the role has gone to good hands.
Thanks Love GIF by FOMO Duck

Pete, put that libation down and step away from the dagger! :D

Thanks, Pete, and @Jonny - it's been great working with you, too. I'll definitely see you all around in the colony. Congrats to Bev, too! I'm sure she'll love it.

Thank you for your Colony service, @Ancora Imparo. You were a fabulous Guardian. I know from experience how much time and energy it can consume. You're the most fabulous person. Knowing the kind of person you are, i know that your judgement will have been (and always will be) spot on, and that you will have handled situations and people in the way that is correct and deserved. I have total respect for you. You're the best.

And welcome Bev @Vagabond Heart. I know you'll do a grand job.

Last edited:
Back