Opening Lines

Fanfare! Kitty has story accepted by Jupiter Sci-Fi

Short Story Competition - Inkitt.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice article. Having gotten a bit further with my story, I've gone back and rewritten my opening sentence.
It's probably been done before but I've gone for:

I was only 14 when I first stared down the barrel of a shotgun.
Nice!

I got 250 pages into a novel last year. My first line was as follows.

"I never wanted to be a goddess."

The novel was about a former goddess now living on earth.

I have to say that this immediately took me to the Percy Jackson series. Was that intentional? Except he says "Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood." Which in turn reminded me of Harry Potter. lol!!

Redmond knew the end of civilization was nigh when the mechanical wheel of fruit over Schlotz’s Grocery stopped tumbling out of the giant cornucopia.

I have to say that this immediately took me to the Percy Jackson series. Was that intentional? Except he says "Look, I didn't want to be a half-blood." Which in turn reminded me of Harry Potter. lol!!

No, it wasn't! I didn't know a similar line had been used.

"Grass. I like grass." That was from a flash fiction about a coo that escaped the abattoir lol

but I think one of my personal favourites is...

"Ok, either my waters have gone, or I have just wet myself."

Nice article. Having gotten a bit further with my story, I've gone back and rewritten my opening sentence.
It's probably been done before but I've gone for:

I was only 14 when I first stared down the barrel of a shotgun.

I like that!

My first book's opening line was:
Blow after blow fell on the naked backs, each strike tearing flesh and smashing bone, until nothing remained of the men but butchered meat.

No, it wasn't! I didn't know a similar line had been used.

I think it's more of a blurb rather than in the actual beginning. But maybe starting with something familiar might work for you. As I mentioned...the halfblood mention reminded me of Harry Potter. So immediately I knew what it was referring to. Familiarity might not necessarily be seen as a copy.

Haha! book 4 opening : Fluid motion and infinite sight. An unstoppable whirlwind of brute strength, that’s what he was. Unstoppable. Slashing through the enemy as though they were spectres in the fog. Unstoppable. Cleaving a path to freedom for those who could no longer cut it themselves. Unstoppable… until he wasn’t.

Well it's still the first draft and the novel isn't yet finished, but here's the rest >

'Truly, you need a change in life. The mundane life is not of your calling Ceridwen, and kicking that defenceless bucket will not solve the boredom that is afflicting you my love,' Ramsey said.

Although he had said it with affection, Ceridwen whose dark hair fell over her shoulders, didn't take it that way.

'I didn't kick it, well not on purpose. The silly thing was in the way and I have already finished washing the clothes. They will not do themselves,' she replied, clearly annoyed.

Well Fantasy, although it's part mystery, almost historical fiction, so it really is a mixture. Then add the dragon ;)

Well, it's just a little for everyone! I like the opening lines. It makes me wonder who Ceridwen is and if she's always had this mundane life. And if it's fantasy/suspense, it also makes me wonder if Ramsey knows something about her that she doesn't.

Well it's still the first draft and the novel isn't yet finished, but here's the rest >

'Truly, you need a change in life. The mundane life is not of your calling Ceridwen, and kicking that defenceless bucket will not solve the boredom that is afflicting you my love,' Ramsey said.

Although he had said it with affection, Ceridwen whose dark hair fell over her shoulders, didn't take it that way.

'I didn't kick it, well not on purpose. The silly thing was in the way and I have already finished washing the clothes. They will not do themselves,' she replied, clearly annoyed.

I could do with a bucket right now... feeling like I can relate to her already.

I think a piece of me was written into her emotions on that occasion... wouldn't be the first time!
You can exorcise unexpected parts of yourself in a character, once in a while. I've seen something of myself in characters I'd rather not have, before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Kitty has story accepted by Jupiter Sci-Fi

Short Story Competition - Inkitt.com

Back