• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Fanfare! One Perfect Sentence - October Winners!

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
LitBits
United-Nations
I’m delighted to announce the winners of October’s One Perfect Sentence competition!
This month, we made all the entries anonymous, so there was no possibility of favouritism. The votes simply reflected your own unfiltered perception of the entries.
However, I’ve just unmasked the entrants, and I’m thrilled to give you the results! As you remember, the writing prompt was - "your best closing sentence for a book in the Romance genre".

FIRST PLACE​

"Decades later, when he could no longer remember my name, I told him our story."​

SECOND PLACE​

“In a manner of speaking, superintendent, the ring choked him – because someone forced him to swallow it.”​

THIRD PLACE​

"She kissed me on the lips and said those three little words I'd been longing to hear since I was a little girl: Mars has women."​

SPECIAL MENTION​

"I search his eyes for sarcasm, perhaps a hint of teasing, but all I see is love, shining strong thirty years on."​

@Mel L

Prizes have been awarded as follows:
1st place: 100 LitBits
2nd place: 50 LitBits
3rd place: 25 LitBits
Special mention: 10 LitBits

I still haven’t explained what LitBits are… All in good time…!

Well done, everyone, for entering and voting... next month's contest starts on the 7th - watch out for it!

Back