Fanfare! Putting the Science in Science Fiction

Village Hall this SATURDAY July 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMStickler

Basic
Jun 21, 2017
US
Tl;dr: I'm new to the community, and I get chatty at 2:30 am, despite my severe social anxiety.

Hi, all! I kind of wrote a life story in the About Me section of the profile, so I'll try to keep it short and sweet here. (Ugh, clichés! I need to add that to my list of writing faux pas to correct during edits.) Anyway, my name is Cayleigh. I live in the US, though, let's be honest, I'm trying to emigrate to, well, nearly anywhere. (Not that I've made much progress on that front.)

I've been published in two anthologies, one of which is for charity and is dedicated to the late Sir Terrence Pratchett (One of my heroes!). After seeing my words in ink and bound in a paperback book, I was bitten by the publishing bug. My passion for storytelling has only intensified in the last year, and I'm chasing my dreams by staying home all day with my two kids and penning stories between changing diapers and creating homeschool activities.

I'm all over the map when it comes to genre, which, admittedly, isn't something I should say. I tend to write stories falling in:
  • literary fiction with and without magical realism,
  • mysteries and thrillers,
  • contemporary young adult and middle grade.

Right now, I'm focused on writing fifty-two short stories in fifty-two weeks, or, as some people call it, the Ray Bradbury challenge. I'm wrapping up week three right now, and I'm pushing through the final two scenes before moving onto week four on Thursday. (Technically, that's tomorrow, but I'll just pretend it's not.) The first five stories will be compiled as a serialization, which will be offered as a freebie on my website. (Whenever I get that set up properly.)

I'm thrilled to be a part of this community, and I can't wait to lend my editing skills to help authors. (I'm a professional copy and line editor.) I truly believe that writing doesn't have to be a lonely pursuit, nor does it have to be a competitive one. It's easier to reach our goals when we help build up each other.

Welcome CMStickler. I write crime and social realism. Currently re-drafting a 92,300 word MS which is really taking a lot of time up, with the prospect of finding around 10,000 words to cut out. So all in all a bit of a nightmare! But that's writing for you!

Good luck with your work.

Hi Cayleigh

Welcome to Litopia and thanks for introducing yourself so thoroughly! Thanks, also, for your membership request to my short story feedback section. I won't be posting a new story for a few weeks but when I do I'll make sure to add you.

All the best in the meantime and hope you find the site useful

Welcome CMStickler. I write crime and social realism. Currently re-drafting a 92,300 word MS which is really taking a lot of time up, with the prospect of finding around 10,000 words to cut out. So all in all a bit of a nightmare! But that's writing for you!

Good luck with your work.
I haven't heard of social realism as a genre, but I'll have to check it out. It sounds straight-forward, though. I love that you paired it with crime. Good luck cutting out those words! Your story will become stronger for it. Thank you. The more I write, the more I want to write, which, I suppose, is the whole point. Onward and upward. :)

Hi Cayleigh

Welcome to Litopia and thanks for introducing yourself so thoroughly! Thanks, also, for your membership request to my short story feedback section. I won't be posting a new story for a few weeks but when I do I'll make sure to add you.

All the best in the meantime and hope you find the site useful
Thank you! I tend to write longer introductions because I get frustrated when people just say hello and that they like to write. (It's a writing community, so it's a given.) I figured that if I threw out enough information, the people who would want to connect with me will come out of the woodwork. (Damn clichés again!) Anyway, I look forward to joining your group and offering feedback on your short stories. :)

To Marc Joan, James Marinero, and Carol Rose,

Thank you. I feel very welcomed in my short time here already. It's great to be acquainted with you as well, and I look forward to connecting more.

Welcome to the Colony, Cayleigh. As an editor, you certainly have an ideal surname!
Thank you! It was funny--as I set up my editing business (and I use the word 'business' loosely), I debated whether or not to use my name or come up with a more traditional business name. I decided to use my name because of my surname. :) And, yes, I am a stickler for proper grammar and the Oxford comma, which really shouldn't be a debate anyway haha.

Thank you! It was funny--as I set up my editing business (and I use the word 'business' loosely), I debated whether or not to use my name or come up with a more traditional business name. I decided to use my name because of my surname. :) And, yes, I am a stickler for proper grammar and the Oxford comma, which really shouldn't be a debate anyway haha.
We will look forward to you raising the standard of grammar on here CMStickler. This site needs discipline!

Welcome aboard! It's good to have you here... I'm also a copy editor and proofreader. It's great to know there is a fellow nit-picker here, but we have to be careful not to be too pedantic when it comes to the rules. I've written 4 novels, have self-published a collection of short stories and had a number of short stories published in anthologies.

Hi Cayleigh! New here myself. Liking your notion that writing does not have to be a lonely pursuit; I have spent far too much time in my own head, and frankly, its getting messy in there.
Look forward to seeing you about the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Putting the Science in Science Fiction

Village Hall this SATURDAY July 1st

Back