• Start date
O

Web archive is a thing!

Stories From Personal Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cosmo Anayiotos

Hi everyone, my name is Cosmo and just found this blog/site by accident. I'm new but not too old to improve.
Have written my first book. the story came to me in a flash which is very odd indeed as I have never written anything before nor had any intention of writing anything. but since my transplant a few years ago.....I get all these stories in my head, most incomplete and quite often most at an inappropriate time, but this was a complete story. Every bit of it made sense to me and to those that have read it so far. But I'm not sure if it's ready for publication.

Anyway, that's my intro to this Litopia site.

Welcome @Cosmo Anayiotos there's plenty to learn here, read through some of the older discussions, feel free to give us your insight on other topics. Upload a picture if you can, so we can have an idea of who you are and what you like. I'm a fantasy author, so my picture is a faerie.

hi Nicola, it's about an old woman looking back at her life and how wrong it ended up. It's a bit of a Romeo and Juliet but spread over 53 years and just to make it interesting, it is not in any chronological order. so it's quite complicated to read. those that have read it have had to read it at least twice. They all found that they got more out of the second read than the first. It made more sense. In fact to quote one reviewer " The Last First Kiss just couldn't be called anything else. "

Hi Jennifer, I will be taking your advice and will read some of the older discussions. Still trying to learn how to navigate this site. being an old git doesn't help !!

Welcome Cosmo. Thankfully I'm still young at 60, slightly crazy, mostly about writing. A story that just comes to you, sounds like it needs to be told. Flashes of inspiration like that are priceless. Have a hunt around, you should even find cake and a few cookies here, provided no-ones gone and eaten them ;)

Hi Alistair, are you trying to tell me something ?? ......such as..... go for the self publish route ? I have considered this in great detail and I will keep it as an option.
However, I'm a firm believer in getting my apples from apple trees and my pears from pear trees. Literary agents know what they are doing. I haven't a clue.
What I've written may make a good book but according to the various people that have read it, it would make a brilliant film.
And that is down to the complication of the story-line. It would be easier to portray the story visually as it jumps about in time constantly.
But that is also due to my inability to describe the changes in time better so that the reader understands the change has happened. ( if that makes sense ! )

Self publish? No, I don't think that's practical, except to get yourself and friends a copy. Long story, short version being there are a million people doing the same thing ;)

Alistair, that was the same conclusion I came to about self- pub. I'm pleased your talking my language.

Hi KG Christopher, just seen your profile. I use to live in Shepperton down Felix Lane on the river. love that area.

Welcome to the literary universe that is the Colony, Cosmo. As others have said, browse the archives for previous threads, as there's good advice on querying literary agents to secure a traditional publishing deal, as well as the travails of self-publishing. I've done both, and it's all a bit like putting a message in a bottle, chucking it into a stormy sea and hoping that someone will reply!

Hi Paul, thanks for the advice. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. The irony is ....I worked in electronics most of my life. in the research labs, no less, developing the hard stuff people use today. Did you know that Rank Research, a company based in west London developed the very first CCD camera ? it was for military use to see in the dark but I was part of that team. now every camera and phone has at least one. CCD = charged coupled device. works like a field of buckets collecting light then discharges the light memory on command.

Hi Paul, thanks for the advice. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. The irony is ....I worked in electronics most of my life. in the research labs, no less, developing the hard stuff people use today. Did you know that Rank Research, a company based in west London developed the very first CCD camera ? it was for military use to see in the dark but I was part of that team. now every camera and phone has at least one. CCD = charged coupled device. works like a field of buckets collecting light then discharges the light memory on command.

Interesting, and hello :)

Hi KG Christopher, just seen your profile. I use to live in Shepperton down Felix Lane on the river. love that area.

Hi Cosmo, I don't live there, I have friends that I have been spending some time with in Sheperton over the last few years. I agree, it is a beautiful part of the world, the Thames is greate there, good for swimming and boating.

I am a computer scientist by profession, my claim to fame is I developed a UART based on an RS232 pin sequence for a Linux distribution back in the early 90's, probably still used so I am proud for that. UART = Universal Asynchronuous Receiver Transmitter.

Hi Cosmo, I don't live there, I have friends that I have been spending some time with in Sheperton over the last few years. I agree, it is a beautiful part of the world, the Thames is greate there, good for swimming and boating.

I am a computer scientist by profession, my claim to fame is I developed a UART based on an RS232 pin sequence for a Linux distribution back in the early 90's, probably still used so I am proud for that. UART = Universal Asynchronuous Receiver Transmitter.

Used such stuff myself on a bank security system we developed for Wormold Int. oh the good ole' days eh ?

hi Sea-shore, yes I do feel rather welcomed.
hi Emurelda, we all have interesting experiences, it's what we do with that experience that counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Web archive is a thing!

Stories From Personal Experience

Back