Manuscripts anyone...?

Nobel Lit Prize for Bob Dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

do do Ron Ron

Hi all
Been away, now I'm back. (Feel like I'm apologising to my Mum for not having been in touch more often, oh the guilt.)

Having written a full MS, I started on the screenplay for it and have found this type of writing to suit me better. So I've also started writing a comedy for TV! Virtually finished episode 5 of 6.

Interested to hear from other screenplay writers and opinions generally of such an activity....
Ron

I've always admired the comedy writer. It's such an art to convey 'funny' on script. I've made a mental note to learn script writing for comedy and even attempted a short sketch. But skills and conviction are both lacking. For now I keep myself amused on Would I lie to you...8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown...Graham Norton..mainly quiz and chat shows.

Hi Emurelda,
Until I started putting pen to paper I had never written anything 'funny' before. It has been very liberating! I'm considered quite a funny man, but there's a world of difference between making people smile in conversation and constructing a comedy script. Much like with writing an MS, you don'r really know what's going to come immediately before you click the keyboard. If the result is funny, great.
I've inserted a very short extract from the comedy I'm writing just now. I hadn't thought about this one bit before I began to write it. I suppose 'going with the flow' is something I'm espousing here?

GEORGE

I got a box of ouija boards in my lockup, somewhere. I put them under 'O' on the shelf. When I looked for them later they weren't there. I found them some time after under 'D'. I put them back where they should be, but the next day I found them under 'I'. Weird.

TRACII

Where are they now, George.

GEORGE

Er, under 'E' I think.

Hi Katie-Ellen!
Great to hear from you after my exile!

...And I'll be off again in an hour! (just for a week...much needed break from reality!)
But, so glad to be back here and connecting with minds richer than mine.

Hi Emurelda,
Until I started putting pen to paper I had never written anything 'funny' before. It has been very liberating! I'm considered quite a funny man, but there's a world of difference between making people smile in conversation and constructing a comedy script. Much like with writing an MS, you don'r really know what's going to come immediately before you click the keyboard. If the result is funny, great.
I've inserted a very short extract from the comedy I'm writing just now. I hadn't thought about this one bit before I began to write it. I suppose 'going with the flow' is something I'm espousing here?

GEORGE

I got a box of ouija boards in my lockup, somewhere. I put them under 'O' on the shelf. When I looked for them later they weren't there. I found them some time after under 'D'. I put them back where they should be, but the next day I found them under 'I'. Weird.

TRACII

Where are they now, George.

GEORGE

Er, under 'E' I think.

Eeeps!...it took me a while to get and when I finally did - it spooked me. Then a nervous chuckle followed. :D I like it. Your methods are right up my crooked path.

...And I'll be off again in an hour! (just for a week...much needed break from reality!)
But, so glad to be back here and connecting with minds richer than mine.

In true Arab return-of-compliments fashion - "No, Sir! You have enriched us with your comedic glory and we are better for it."
Some things don't translate well into English culture and is cringed at - I enjoy trying. There you go. :D

I admire script writers, but have never tried it myself. My mom used to write for a children's TV show, when I was a kid, and I would sit in a corner of the room and listen to the writing team discuss ideas for each episode...loved to watch that creative process unfold.

I admire script writers, but have never tried it myself. My mom used to write for a children's TV show, when I was a kid, and I would sit in a corner of the room and listen to the writing team discuss ideas for each episode...loved to watch that creative process unfold.
OMG you are so lucky! Man I would've loved to be a fly on the wall for that convo.

How wonderful is that!! You really are very lucky - such a lovely job. I'm recalling the film 'Saving Mr Banks' where they sit down to discuss the script, songs and scenes and I just love to be able to try and work with a creative team like that. <3

Good to have you back with us Do Do Ron Ron.

Sadly an event I was going to go to on Wednesday evening in the Sunderland Literature and Writing festival was cancelled. It was a workshop for screenwriting (mostly comedy) for TV by Michael Chaplin who is the creator and writer for many series including Monarch of the Glen, Grafters and Dalziel and Pascoe. I was going to go despite being at a disadvantage because I have never actually seen any of the aforementioned TV programmes! However, I also felt it may be an advantage because I would hear how he deconstructs one of his recent films for ITV with fresh eyes, ears and mind.

It was cancelled only two days before the event. I will find out eventually why but who wants to bet that he had a writing deadline or some call on his time from a TV production company that ruined the whole thing?

Good to have you back with us Do Do Ron Ron.

Sadly an event I was going to go to on Wednesday evening in the Sunderland Literature and Writing festival was cancelled. It was a workshop for screenwriting (mostly comedy) for TV by Michael Chaplin who is the creator and writer for many series including Monarch of the Glen, Grafters and Dalziel and Pascoe. I was going to go despite being at a disadvantage because I have never actually seen any of the aforementioned TV programmes! However, I also felt it may be an advantage because I would hear how he deconstructs one of his recent films for ITV with fresh eyes, ears and mind.

It was cancelled only two days before the event. I will find out eventually why but who wants to bet that he had a writing deadline or some call on his time from a TV production company that ruined the whole thing?

You haven't missed anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobel Lit Prize for Bob Dylan

Back