Introducing myself: Michael Blackbourn

Evernight Publishing

Mapping The Story: Fictional cartography

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MichaelBlackbourn

Hey everyone. I thought I'd give this place a try. I'm a relatively new writer and haven't found a community that works well for me yet. I tried on kboards but it's too big and focused on the Amazon issues of the day.

Quick bio: I used to jump out of planes and blow shit up at night for the US government. Now I'm a supervisor at a visual effects studio and worked on films like Iron Man, District 9, and Mocking Jay.

I've self published a kids illustrated adventure book on Amazon and am putting the finishing touches on a sci-fi short story right now.

I live on the west coast of Canada.

Hi to everyone. Hit me up on twitter @mikeblackbourn If your feed is pure book spam I'm unlikely to follow back. :)

Welcome to the colony! Thank you for your service in the military; my dad served for many years as well before retiring.

Your experience with the visual studio sounds interesting! Maybe it'll help with your writings :)

Hi Michael and welcome. I'm currently visiting Oregon, although I'm not sure where I'm from lol! Sci-fi is my favourite, although I've been writing in the genre of Fantasy. You should find a very helpful community here ;)

Welcome! Interesting bio. Thanks for your service! Live in WA.

Welcome! I dabble in scifi too, with mixed results.
I suspect that your laconic one-line 'bio' hides some rather more impressive stories...

Welcome! If you 'write what you know' there should be some explosive stories coming up!
I'm sure you'll find this a friendly and helpful place. Best writers' site on the net.

Hi Michael - nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy it here - I bet you have a few stories to tell… :)

Hello and welcome, you'll find a wealth of knowledge and advice here, just waiting for you.

Some art from my book:

crab-rock-188x300.jpg

seaweed-grab-188x300.jpg

And a macro photo of a barnacle I shot that helped inspire the setting of the story:
barnacle-300x199.jpg

Still impressed with the full bleed art on createspace. Looks great for POD.
I'm hoping so. I have proofs for For King and Country arriving in a day or so so I'll let you know how the cover at least turns out. I obviously won't be able to comment on interior pictures as I don't have any :)

Did you do the art? Because it's really, really good! But you know that already...

Yes. Both the interior and cover art. Thanks, there are around 12 full page panels like these and a few smaller drawings. Laying out the book so it works as an eBook was a bit of a pain.

Welcome, Michael, and thank you for your service.

Congratulations on your success in digital effects, and self-publishing. You are an inspiration for me in both respects.

Hello Michael, and welcome aboard!

Big changes afoot here, a lot of tech work behind the scenes very nearly finished now, it's all looking and feeling very exciting. I'm having a day out tomorrow - the first Mal Peet Memorial Lecture is being given in Norwich at the UEA by Meg Rosoff - but will be back on Thurs, so expect to see many new wonders unveil themselves from then onwards... :)

Hello Michael, and welcome aboard!

Big changes afoot here, a lot of tech work behind the scenes very nearly finished now, it's all looking and feeling very exciting. I'm having a day out tomorrow - the first Mal Peet Memorial Lecture is being given in Norwich at the UEA by Meg Rosoff - but will be back on Thurs, so expect to see many new wonders unveil themselves from then onwards... :)
Fab. The new front page is already looking great. Must have been a lot of work.

Thanks! It’s far from finished at the moment, and only visible to some people, at certain times:) You won't see it yet on mobile, and nearly 50% of visitor do access us that way now. Much more to come...
I thought that I'd had another stroke and was seeing things, when I logged back onto Litopia and saw a new front page - which looks much more exciting and enticing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evernight Publishing

Mapping The Story: Fictional cartography

Back