Important! Membership Changes

News Submissions Surgery tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve C

Basic
Mar 1, 2019
Thailand
Came across this on query shark. It has a unique style which in itself may make it stand out from the rest. I am writing a similar one for my WIP but will consult here before using.
Query Shark

I like it. If I read this on a blurb, I'd instantly open the book to read the first page. Definitely something worth playing around with to see if you can make it work for yours (I don't think it would for mine - though there's no harm in trying :))

Personally I quite like the style. It's simple, and I suspect in a query, simple is better than complicated. Like Nmlee says, it makes me want to read it.

However, I'm not sure how unique it is. I've seen queries like this on other website that dissect submissions. But I agree with RK: if it sells your book ...

Your goal is to make them want to read your MS. But then again, a sub like this might not apeal to every agent, and it's back to the guessing game.

I'd say do what's right for you as an author.

Been playing with it and came up with 15 times with an event for my book. May be able to cut it down to 12 but still a lot more than the example and with that many it may defeat the object of keeping it short and sweet.

Been playing with it and came up with 15 times with an event for my book. May be able to cut it down to 12 but still a lot more than the example and with that many it may defeat the object of keeping it short and sweet.

I think short is prob better. Even 12 might be a bit long. Short makes more impact. No need to get the whole book in there. That's what the MS is for. ;):)

Isn't there some marketing rule about the amount of advertising sales points people can realistically retain from an advert? Not sure. I have a vague memory of reading something about it yonks ago. But it might also apply in a query.

Maybe road test it in the Writing Groups.

I like it and I would want to read on. Clearly this is commercial fiction and would not work for literary or character based novels, I don't think.

Janet Reid is quite willing to forget all of the normal conventions of writing a query letter if one grabs her attention. There are numerous examples of this posted on her Query Shark blog. I don't suppose for a moment that other agents are much different in this respect.

The problem with query letters is that no one formula can guarantee a positive response and a request for pages. All a writer can do is get the basics right and hope that what they submits meets with an agents's approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Important! Membership Changes

News Submissions Surgery tomorrow!

Back