• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Book Club How to Take Part in the Book Club

Litopia's Book Club for everyone... We meet on Zoom

Jason L.

Blogger
BlogMeister
LitBits
To take part, just pay attention to threads here in Café Life with the "Book Club" prefix:
Untitled design(1).png
I’ll post a link for the book that has some questions and the link so that we can think about the book constructively. The meetings should be happening on Saturdays at 8 PM London, 3 PM New York, 12 PM Los Angeles. Just click the link and it will take you to the Zoom meeting, same as the Huddle.

We’ll select the books well in advance. We will have our next round of selections in early June 2023--in this case, our members will submit their five-star book recommendations and they will be randomly selected to lead the discussions for their month/book.

Please reach out to me if you have some questions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the concept of themed quarters, at least for now. I read Axie Oh's book and look forward to hearing you and other Litopians' responses. Anyone have a link to a YouTube in which she pronounces her name?

Gee, this weekend? The days are bumping into each other in their rush to get to the end of the year!
That's an awesome way to put the chaos of year end! Plus, a good point, that people might not realize it's this weekend, as we'd pushed the last one by a week.

@Jason L. and @AgentPete - are you going to promote that book club is this weekend to remind peps? I didn't see the double billing with the Huddle promo email. I think this is the last book club of the year?

is anyone able to join the club and vote on books to read, or are there specific requirements?
Anyone can come along. I usually do, and mostly haven’t had time to read the selection (I tend only to read one book at a time, quite analog). It’s still a great experience :)

That's an awesome way to put the chaos of year end! Plus, a good point, that people might not realize it's this weekend, as we'd pushed the last one by a week.

@Jason L. and @AgentPete - are you going to promote that book club is this weekend to remind peps? I didn't see the double billing with the Huddle promo email. I think this is the last book club of the year?
I don't know what the selection is... @Jason L. can you enlighten? Happy to promote ce soir...

If we want to push to the 16th because we haven't really promoted it, that's fine, I can just alter the invitation. Just let me know. I will be finishing it today regardless.

Perhaps we should do a build-up to each book club meeting. For instance, the person who chose the book could begin a discussion of it in the thread for that meeting. Maybe bring in links to reviews, controversies, and gossip about the author, the agent, and the editor. Sales figures and comparable titles, or titles about the same subject, would be interesting. So, rather than each of us reading the book in solitude with our own thoughts, we could have an ongoing discussion culminating in the real-time online meeting.

This would offer opportunities for everyone to take part, even those who could not schedule time for the meeting. It would also prepare us for a deeper discussion.

Perhaps we should do a build-up to each book club meeting. For instance, the person who chose the book could begin a discussion of it in the thread for that meeting. Maybe bring in links to reviews, controversies, and gossip about the author, the agent, and the editor. Sales figures and comparable titles, or titles about the same subject, would be interesting. So, rather than each of us reading the book in solitude with our own thoughts, we could have an ongoing discussion culminating in the real-time online meeting.

This would offer opportunities for everyone to take part, even those who could not schedule time for the meeting. It would also prepare us for a deeper discussion.
Brilliant idea, P. This month's has taken me by surprise... I've done zero pre-publicity. That's such a good suggestion.

To take part, just pay attention the Book Club thread. I’ll post a link for the book that has some questions and the link so that we can think about the book constructively. The meetings should be happening on Saturdays at 8 PM London, 3 PM New York, 12 PM Los Angeles. Just click the link and it will take you to the zoom, same as the huddle.

We’ll select the books well in advance. We will have our next round of selections in early June 2023--in this case, our members will submit their five-star book recommendations and they will be randomly selected to lead the discussions for their month/book.

Please reach out to me if you have some questions!
Love the idea of this and always enchanted by your presence but my attendance would be sporadic. I will make an effort though - deconstructing great books (and not so good ones) is what i do alone with the books i read and it’d be great to run in a pack on this.

Hi! I want to introduce @zackasaurus to our book club!

Zack this is the main thread. You don't need to do anything, just showing you where Book Clubers hang out. :)

I'll also add you to the Murderbot Book Club thread once @Jason L. posts it. There will be a link to the zoom session and times, etc.

I have Murderbot as next weekend, is that correct Jason?

Excited for you to join us Zack! Woot!

Back