Dreams of Reading

How do I get my book published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura Lee

Basic
Jul 26, 2018
Chicago
Hi, writers! Glad to be here. Wondering if there are other poets here. I write mainly poetry, but with a strong narrative element. I even write dramatic monologues, which are so out of fashion--I know that. But I love the combination of poetic, dramatic, and fictional elements. I do write short stories, and I love to read short stories. I miss my old very active online writing groups, and am so looking forward to another.

Is there a place for me here? I love to read and help others--it's the teacher in me. (I am "retired" allegedly, but still teaching college part time.)

My blog is at: Laura Lee and I tweet at:
@LauraLe97942016

Good to meet you, and keep on writing!
Laura Lee

Hello :)

I write and read poems. Two poets I very much admire, writing epic narrative poems today are Steve Ely, 'Englaland' and Bob Beagrie, 'The Seer Sung Husband.'

Oooh.. thank you for the information.

I see you're in Chicago, Laura. Was reading the other day re the epic narrative poem by Benet, 'John Brown's Body'.

America's Aenead, as someone described it. It was the anniversary of the poet's birthday last Sunday...and I didn't know the poem, but we learned the older marching song at school.

These two UK poets I mention, write looking far back in UK history. But whether epic narrative, or contemporary narrative poetry, great that it's alive and kicking.

A considerable modern poet no longer alive and kicking was Christopher Logue, who wrote a version of the Iliad. War Music.

Brilliant, but my parents went to a reading of his and didn't like him because he was obnoxious to his driver.

Ah well...great art doesn't mean the artist might not be a total %££"!**

Welcome! I like to say no one should write poetry but then I keep getting told my writing is poetic. One very memorable person once told me the lyricism was lulling him to sleep. I gave him a nickname. That's what Americans do when people vex them. I believe I'm a little bit better at it than the orange bloated bladder.

But ... what I say about how no one should write poetry is mostly something I say. It sounds like you're making an honest to god effort with the art form... so ... awesome!!

Oh ... and yay... another American.

Welcome to the Colony! I don't consider myself a poet, per se, but I write a fair bit of it, and have even published some. One of these days, I want to write a novel in verse ... just have to find the right story to do it.

Welcome! I like to say no one should write poetry but then I keep getting told my writing is poetic. One very memorable person once told me the lyricism was lulling him to sleep. I gave him a nickname. That's what Americans do when people vex them. I believe I'm a little bit better at it than the orange bloated bladder.

But ... what I say about how no one should write poetry is mostly something I say. It sounds like you're making an honest to god effort with the art form... so ... awesome!!

Oh ... and yay... another American.
Yes, no one "SHOULD" write poetry--agreed. It doesn't pay the bills. You are always being rejected. But... it's what I write. It's what I come back to...how I think and approach life. Hello to a fellow Yank...

Welcome to the Colony! I don't consider myself a poet, per se, but I write a fair bit of it, and have even published some. One of these days, I want to write a novel in verse ... just have to find the right story to do it.
Oooh, a novel in verse! That would be something I would read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreams of Reading

How do I get my book published?

Back