Fanfare! Galley Beggar short story prize...

Beginning a Story

When Tolkien didn't make the grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Marc Joan, for some years now I've participated on and off in the Guardian reading group run by Sam Jordison, a good place to cut your teeth defending positions on famous or obscure books (we've done Proust, Malcolm Lowry's Under the Volcano, JD Salinger's Franny & Zooey, Rushdie's Shame, Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker, etc). I have such respect for Sam as a writer and book-lover. Immense discernment.

@Marc Joan, for some years now I've participated on and off in the Guardian reading group run by Sam Jordison, a good place to cut your teeth defending positions on famous or obscure books (we've done Proust, Malcolm Lowry's Under the Volcano, JD Salinger's Franny & Zooey, Rushdie's Shame, Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker, etc). I have such respect for Sam as a writer and book-lover. Immense discernment.
I'm impressed! Sounds scarily intellectual! Certainly no place for oafs such as I -- I've read none of the books you cite :oops:

You're certainly no oaf, @Marc Joan! Sam works hard to make everyone in the group comfortable with the books under discussion and there's space for all kinds of opinions. I do have to think on my feet though and that has helped me as a reviewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beginning a Story

When Tolkien didn't make the grade.

Back