Fanfare! FULL MS Request

Researching Language For Historical Fiction

P

Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well done you. It's a rare and well deserved step when somebody decides your book might be so good that they might be able to bet their career on it breaking through.
And... Welcome to the waiting.
Welcome to checking your emails every hour!
From experience of would suggest you find something to do with your life other than wait. Otherwise it will be long haul.

Last edited:
You are in excellent company. A rejection doesn't say anything about your manuscript. That they decided to spend their hours considering it is a huge compliment to your talents. Hang in there! We're rooting for ya!

So here I am following this thread like you didn't start it back in August, the excitement, the impatience, the dismay, the acceptance, the dusting off and moving forward-- pretty sure this experience will only strengthen your resolve. This is the opposite path of the professional athlete in that writers generally get better as they age (though, you know, it's a bonus when athletes read and writers keep in shape). Today you are the wine and not the cake! (Pie is better anyway: fact)

So here I am following this thread like you didn't start it back in August, the excitement, the impatience, the dismay, the acceptance, the dusting off and moving forward-- pretty sure this experience will only strengthen your resolve. This is the opposite path of the professional athlete in that writers generally get better as they age (though, you know, it's a bonus when athletes read and writers keep in shape). Today you are the wine and not the cake! (Pie is better anyway: fact)
Lol thank you! However I disagree with your assertion that pie is better than cake. Cake can have the entire yummy as chocolate. Pie doesn't. (At least, none that I'm familiar with.)

Lol thank you! However I disagree with your assertion that pie is better than cake. Cake can have the entire yummy as chocolate. Pie doesn't. (At least, none that I'm familiar with.)

Almost true — on the whole, cake is hands down much better.

Save for only one. And behold — I give to you... the greatest thing ever: chocolate silk pie.
exps38692_RDS2257792A12_03_6b.jpg

And here I was trying to be supportive (aims shotgun, racks both barrels):

It's time to wake up people. Carrot cake? Fine. Velvet cake? When done right: delicious. Lemon cake? Only if perfectly moist, not to sweet and with *just* the right degree of tang.

But cake is a piss-poor chocolate delivery system. For that we have, I dunno, chocolate. Truffles. Deep, dark ice cream. I'll even give you brownies (provided they've got chocolate chunks and no walnuts-- bitter pieces of wood fit only for squirrels.) Not: flour, water, eggs, sugar, various other ingredients plus enough chocolate to make it brown. Hell, Jason's pie has more concentrated chocolate than every birthday cake known to man combined. And sure, there are cakes that are no doubt chocolate rich (flourless chocolate cake comes to mind and probably deserves it's own category) but you and I both know, Nicole, that these are exceptions to the rule.

Pie is a bit of crust around exactly what you asked for. In today's case: cherries. No, pumpkin-- the only acceptable use for squash. That's just science.

Ba-blam!

Almost, but I'm not much of a whipped cream girl. It just gets in the way of the chocolate!
Whereas I, however, am one of those people who will spray Reddi Whip directly into his mouth, or drink a little glass of straight Coffee Mate hazelnut coffee creamer syrup...o_O

It's time to wake up people. Carrot cake? Fine. Velvet cake? When done right: delicious. Lemon cake? Only if perfectly moist, not to sweet and with *just* the right degree of tang.

But cake is a piss-poor chocolate delivery system. For that we have, I dunno, chocolate. Truffles. Deep, dark ice cream. I'll even give you brownies (provided they've got chocolate chunks and no walnuts-- bitter pieces of wood fit only for squirrels.) Not: flour, water, eggs, sugar, various other ingredients plus enough chocolate to make it brown. Hell, Jason's pie has more concentrated chocolate than every birthday cake known to man combined. And sure, there are cakes that are no doubt chocolate rich (flourless chocolate cake comes to mind and probably deserves it's own category) but you and I both know, Nicole, that these are exceptions to the rule.

Pie is a bit of crust around exactly what you asked for. In today's case: cherries. No, pumpkin-- the only acceptable use for squash. That's just science.

Ba-blam!
And I don't even eat the crust!!!

Ba-blam!
I want substance to my chocolate! None of this pudding filling stuff. I want to chew it. Viva la flour and eggs!

:D

Ba-blam!
Also, I once had a dream where I was in a dark stone ruins with my brother, and a demon attacked. He grabbed a huge leatherbound tome upon an ancient wooden lectern and flung it open, and pointing emphatically at the magical word written with, shouted as he read,
"KABLAMMO!"
and caused a massive explosion that filled the entire chamber.

To this day, I kind of cringe a little when people say similar words, presuming I'm going to need to duck an explosion, it was so vivid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Researching Language For Historical Fiction

P

Hi

Back