Facebook, anyone?

When Do You Stop Writing?

The Colony—Finding 'The Others.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, it's time for me to admit that I am a total Luddite with regard to social media. I just feel very uncomfortable about having an electronic me 'out there', all soft and vulnerable. I joined Twitter once, released one tweet, realised it was totally not me and de-Twittered myself. Never felt so relieved. Never been on Facebook, and hate the idea of it--it just seems like a way to suck up your free time and generate irritation and annoyance. Why further complicate your life, I ask myself. But it seems like everyone does it, so I must be missing something. So can anyone tell me: why should I join Facebook? What is in it for me other than a loss of privacy and the presentation of an easy target for faceless trolls and flamers, or whatever they are called?

I COMPLETELY get this. I had to be almost forced to join FB and such by a writer whose book I edited. I really do consider it akin to public narcissism. But the writer was correct -- it really does help. I post my articles and usually little things to "be real." But I never, ever post anything actually personal.

I added most of you, FYI, (I'm Kate Watts), but not all, so that FB wouldn't call me a spammer.

I COMPLETELY get this. I had to be almost forced to join FB and such by a writer whose book I edited. I really do consider it akin to public narcissism. But the writer was correct -- it really does help. I post my articles and usually little things to "be real." But I never, ever post anything actually personal.
Oh good! Not just me!

Liked and added and such x

Thanks!

I'm really surprised to see so many people on here using their FB personal profiles to interact with their fans. I put a lot of things that my friends (and all of my friends are people I've met in person at least once or at least have had several interactions with that I trust - I'm pretty strict about that) would understand, but I don't want to share with my fans. Pics of my family, things like that. I do include a lot of personal things on my author page, but I like to keep my FB profile to myself and my friends. Just my two cents... :)

facebook is amber_zade
twistter is amber_zade

Oh and I'd like to befriend people on facebook but I've discovered that facebook is a surefire way to learn people's political opinions. I don't want to know. So, if yyou are really into politics, best not friend me.....

Politics? Is that a category of fiction I'm not aware of? Not my cuppa tea, so I'll pass (on the politics) ^_^
Unfortunately there are a thousand amber jades....

facebook is amber_zade
twistter is amber_zade

Oh and I'd like to befriend people on facebook but I've discovered that facebook is a surefire way to learn people's political opinions. I don't want to know. So, if yyou are really into politics, best not friend me.....

Amen to that - I've had to unfollow people because they blast my newsfeed with political posts all. the. time.

Politics? Is that a category of fiction I'm not aware of? Not my cuppa tea, so I'll pass (on the politics) ^_^
Unfortunately there are a thousand amber jades....

LOL there are NOT a 1000 Amber ZADES lol .... maybe a lot of Amber JADES ..... but those Ambers don't read and may lose their clothing for money.

Thanks!

I'm really surprised to see so many people on here using their FB personal profiles to interact with their fans. I put a lot of things that my friends (and all of my friends are people I've met in person at least once or at least have had several interactions with that I trust - I'm pretty strict about that) would understand, but I don't want to share with my fans. Pics of my family, things like that. I do include a lot of personal things on my author page, but I like to keep my FB profile to myself and my friends. Just my two cents... :)
I getcha.

Thing is, my only "fans" at present are my friends lol so I haven't gotten to that stage yet. I will utilise my author and blog pages more once I send book 1 off out into the world I think :)

LOL there are NOT a 1000 Amber ZADES lol .... maybe a lot of Amber JADES ..... but those Ambers don't read and may lose their clothing for money.
Yeah that I suppose is the downside to my personal page at present. I am pretty politically charged. Though I only really post things I think are important.

I did a lot of posting during the indyref and subsequent days when there were unionist rioters battering folk in the street. Spreading the live news the BBC won't broadcast.

In a way it reminds me a lot of a pre 1984 political mess. George Orwell had it so right!

Even my writing is political, like good old Orwell ;)

I'm an activist and proud... but I do try to keep my posts on a minimum - only when needed basis xx

Yeah that I suppose is the downside to mywhat t personal page at present. I am pretty politically charged. Though I only really post things I think are important.

I did a lot of posting during the indyref and subsequent days when there were unionist rioters battering folk in the street. Spreading the live news the BBC won't broadcast.

In a way it reminds me a lot of a pre 1984 political mess. George Orwell had it so right!

Even my writing is political, like good old Orwell ;)

I'm an activist and proud... but I do try to keep my posts on a minimum - only when needed basis xx

ah ... your facebook should be safe .... you're not in the US ... lol

Thanks!

I don't have fans. LOL But I have an employer. I used to have a facebook page with my real last name but I closed and it was mostly because I thought work would see it ... then I changed my last name on everything. Now, it isn't as though work couldn't find me and figure out who I am ... figure out my 'hobbies'.....I think I just wanted a tiny bit of plausibility deniability ..... This happened after I gave all sorts of information to the conflict of interest department because a supervisor had asked me to help with a website for one of their side businesses. I never got a response from the conflict of interst department and I decided not to update the supervisors website after all ... and then changed my name on everything. It was always what I wanted as my pen name anyway. I see I'm rambling.... coffee might be good.....

ah ... your facebook should be safe .... you're not in the US ... lol
Ah I getcha... I used to have several US friends in the horse world and many of them have been unfollowed as a result of the political posts. As I said, I do post, but not 24/7/356!

What bump? ;)
011608-igor-young-frankenstein.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

When Do You Stop Writing?

The Colony—Finding 'The Others.'

Back