Do You Need A Literary Agent? What Do Literary Agents Do? And… (Bonus) How To Get One

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must say @AgentPete you're an excellent communicator. Short, sharp, sweet and to the point - make any more videos like that and I'll be your most dedicated fan... Anytime you want to represent my work for TV, Film, Movie... :star-struck:

This went nowhere, but a few years ago, I sent off a short story to an agent. He replied that it was highly televisual, and sent it off to a TV company in the market for dramas. It would have needed CGi galore mind you, at the end, when a massive tsunami rolls across from... (?) caused by (?). Anyway, they didn't bite, and then he asked, did I have a full length MS ready to go? I didn't quite, not at that point and not long afterwards he retired. But it just goes to show. Maybe your novel would work as a screenplay from the off.

The Sixth Sense was written as a novel, I think, after they made the film, and the writing is lean. Not less effective for it.

Reading the full terms and conditions for the Chicken House Comp I saw this. Even shortlisted works will be considered for a TV/Film deal. Then they kind of lost me in the thicket of "shall be's" and "clauses referred to." What does this boil down to for the authors who are shortlisted?
" Lime shall have the exclusive right to consider all shortlisted entries (including for the avoidance of doubt the winning submissions) for film/TV development for an initial period of 45 days from the winners’ announcement and offers for film/TV development shall be made in writing to the relevant entrants during this initial period. Lime shall then be entitled to a further 60 days’ exclusivity over film/TV development for such entries following notification of any offer to negotiate the terms of a development contract, which shall be in line with industry standard terms for new/unpublished IP. If Lime is unable to agree terms for a development contract with the entrant within the 60 day negotiating period, the entrant and/or their literary agent shall be entitled to submit the manuscript to a third party (i.e. another production company or a broadcaster) for film/TV development on no less favourable terms to those offered by Lime during the negotiation period.

10. Entrants retain all rights to their entries, except in the case of the entrants to whom publishing and/or film/TV development contracts will be offered (as referred to in Clauses 7, 8 and 9 above). The winners will retain the copyright to the works and shall exclusively license worldwide: (i) publishing rights of the entry to Chicken House Publishing Limited on completion of the publishing contract(s); and (ii) film/TV rights to Lime Pictures Limited pursuant to the terms of the film/TV development contract(s), if any. "
What exactly is your question? Basically, the author retains copyright until they've actually signed the deal with Chicken House or Lime Pictures Ltd or both. If offered a deal by Lime, the author can't approach any other company for the next 60 days. Once that 60 days is up, if the author and production company have not agreed on the terms of contract, the author is free to try elsewhere. All shortlisted entries must not approach another company until 45 days after the winner's announcement in case they are offered a deal.

Reading the full terms and conditions for the Chicken House Comp I saw this. Even shortlisted works will be considered for a TV/Film deal. Then they kind of lost me in the thicket of "shall be's" and "clauses referred to." What does this boil down to for the authors who are shortlisted?
" Lime shall have the exclusive right to consider all shortlisted entries (including for the avoidance of doubt the winning submissions) for film/TV development for an initial period of 45 days from the winners’ announcement and offers for film/TV development shall be made in writing to the relevant entrants during this initial period. Lime shall then be entitled to a further 60 days’ exclusivity over film/TV development for such entries following notification of any offer to negotiate the terms of a development contract, which shall be in line with industry standard terms for new/unpublished IP. If Lime is unable to agree terms for a development contract with the entrant within the 60 day negotiating period, the entrant and/or their literary agent shall be entitled to submit the manuscript to a third party (i.e. another production company or a broadcaster) for film/TV development on no less favourable terms to those offered by Lime during the negotiation period.

10. Entrants retain all rights to their entries, except in the case of the entrants to whom publishing and/or film/TV development contracts will be offered (as referred to in Clauses 7, 8 and 9 above). The winners will retain the copyright to the works and shall exclusively license worldwide: (i) publishing rights of the entry to Chicken House Publishing Limited on completion of the publishing contract(s); and (ii) film/TV rights to Lime Pictures Limited pursuant to the terms of the film/TV development contract(s), if any. "

@Pamela Jo can you post this in the Back Room and tag me, pls? :) p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back