When We Get To The Century...

Book Review: Cold In July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven McC

Basic
Oct 12, 2014
Scotland
...some truly great contemporary fiction?

Feels like it's been a while since any book changed me as much as Jonathan Franzen's 'Strong Motion' and 'The Corrections' and the discovery of David Foster Wallace (sadly, after his death).

Would be interested to hear if anyone can recommend material of a similar level or have read any books recently that really changed or affected them?

This doesn't feel like a helpful answer, Steven, because I don't know those books to gauge what else you might like. There are a couple of book suggestions on a recent thread, about what Litopia memberss are reading at the moment.

Thanks for the reply Katie-Ellen

I know one of the threads you mean and I'll keep an eye on it.

P.S. read the story Joe's Ark you linked to on another thread and enjoyed it, especially the central character - a down-to-earth chap with the courage to act on a premonition is an interesting blend. Also intruiged by the fact that his closest bond was with an animal! A comment on modern society...?

Thank you, Steven :)

At the heart of it is a) what is love and b) that question, what would you do if you were about to board a plane and got the most terrible feeling about it (and it wasn't indigestion) Get on anyway?

Yes, no pigeon pie for Joe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

When We Get To The Century...

Book Review: Cold In July

Back