• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Craft Chat Apps for Beta Reading

tyes

LitBits
I am now working through the process of facilitating beta reading for my second novel. Like my first novel, collating everyone's feedback, comments, highlights etc is then a manual effort on my part, since I have issued the novel as a printed book. A 'tracked changes' Word document would make this far easier, but then my beta readers prefer a printed book which is fine.

Still this has raised a question that I explored last year with my first novel, which is if this process can be better managed using some form of mobile app. Since my day job is a software developer, I recognize that there would be a range of insights that can be provided through an app that may be valuable, including analytics on page reading, version control, live reader tracking and surveys.

I have dabbled and trialed a few of these, but most don't unlock any real features unless they are the paid edition. I am wondering if anyone else has made use of these and if they found them beneficial / worth the money? Some of these also offer a community of prospective readers which sounds like a nice idea, but I'm not sure that's a selling point in my case.
I'm sure I've seen others, but couldn't find them in my limited Googling. I am also not aware if some of the standard eBook platforms like Kindle might support the sharing of reader tracking data back to the author.

Have you used a beta reading platform / mobile application as an author or a reader? What were your thoughts?

Last edited:
Back