L

Happy Birthday, AgentPete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luciferette

Basic
Feb 28, 2017
East Yorkshire
Update on my agent situation, for any Litopians who remember my dilemma earlier this year.
Before I start - don't shout at me for being a wimp, but I haven't phoned the big name who guided me through the novel and requested first refusal. It's been 7 months with no word at all (despite a couple of gentle nudges), so I figure that tbh, if she can't even send a quick email to say she's busy, she's been abducted by Martians, whatever, then - even if she did want me - do I want someone not 100% committed to my career?
On the advice of a friend who was in a similar situation (with the same agency!), I've decided to submit elsewhere. She was signed pretty quickly, and a six figure deal shortly followed...now, I'm under absolutely no illusion that I'll follow the same path - she writes crime which seems to attract the big deals - but she's given me a referral to an agent at her company who loves my genre, and has spoken to them about me.
They're prioritising my ms, which at least should drag my sub out of the slush pile, so now it's just a case of waiting. AGAIN. My question is: what do I do if Agent Uno replies in the affirmative while it's on sub with Agent Dos? It's highly unlikely, I'm sure, but the way spanners are thrown in this life means it might just happen. I haven't informed 1 about 2 (she's not replied to any of my emails in the last 6 months so I figured why bother?), but 1 was originally so helpful and enthusiastic that I feel a bit guilty of "going behind her back".
Are we struggling writers just too polite? There seems to be so much etiquette to learn in this business, and I'm bewildered!

Worry about it if it happens, and if Agent Uno pops up, tell her there is interest elsewhere, but you haven't signed anything yet. Then the ball is in her court, you have been totally honest and direct but you haven't just shut her down either, in case Agent Dos does not proceed.

Well Agent one has been sitting on it far too long in my opinion so shouldn't be surprised that you have submitted elsewhere. But should she offer then the etiquette is to tell her that someone else is reading it and you need to inform them before you can go any further. Then get straight on to Agent 2. Seeing the words 'offer of representation ' in the subject of your email should elicit a swift response. Of course you could always phone if you've aldready been in correspondence. You should do the same the other way round if Agent 2 offers. Set a deadline for her to get back to you and then if you end up with two offers you have the dilemma of which to go with.

Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Of course, full requests don't necessarily lead to offers but it's a promising sign. And keep sending it out. Each time you get a full request it is worth letting the others know. Agents hate to think they might be missing out on something good! :)

Thanks, Katie-Ellen and Kitty You're right: worry about it if it happens! I'm not holding my breath on either of them (rejection is, after all, a writer's default position), but I can't help thinking there must be an atom of goodness in the Ms for it to get this far.
Your best wishes and advice are very much appreciated. I'll keep you informed, and IF AND WHEN the novel finally finds a fan, the virtual fizz is on me X

Ultimately Luciferette you are entering into a business relationship not a personal one. If it had been 6 weeks since fulfilling your agreement to send the MS to her then we might have thought you were, perhaps, being hasty, But more than 6 months coupled with not responding to your emails, which am sure were perfectly polite and business-like. After all, you have your writing business to run and you need to see where you stand on any potential deals. I would also safely assume that the first agent understands this approach as it will almost certainly have happened many times before.

Couldn't agree more with the "business arrangement" angle, David. What irks me, though, is that - to some extent - Agent 1 seems to have behaved unprofessionally, whereas we pen pushers are expected to toe the line, etiquette-wise.
If she was a lover, I'd say she's led me on . Kisses on emails, hugely flattering emails and phone calls, immediate (enthusiastic) responses...but you live and learn, don't you? I'm no doubt not the first novelist to have had my head turned by a big agent! If nowt else, it's taught me circumspection.

Couldn't agree more with the "business arrangement" angle, David. What irks me, though, is that - to some extent - Agent 1 seems to have behaved unprofessionally, whereas we pen pushers are expected to toe the line, etiquette-wise.
If she was a lover, I'd say she's led me on . Kisses on emails, hugely flattering emails and phone calls, immediate (enthusiastic) responses...but you live and learn, don't you? I'm no doubt not the first novelist to have had my head turned by a big agent! If nowt else, it's taught me circumspection.
Update! Message from friend just now saying Head of agency told her my sub looks "EXCITING" (her quote, not mine!)...so hopefully not too long to wait for feedback, whichever way it goes. I am playing it cool *ie drunk*.

Good luck! I agree with everyone else--you're good. You haven't acted unprofessionally, and you have every right to seek representation from someone who actually returns your e-mails.

Things seem to be going your way—hurrah! Having a choice of representation by different agents does pose a dilemma. Do they want you because they've seen something commercially viable in your manuscript, or do they want you simply because someone else does? And does it matter anyway, for isn't this how bidding wars start with more and more agents, then publishers, fighting to sign you?

Arundhati Roy has just released her second novel, twenty years after the success of The God of Small Things. Faced with having to choose between several publishers, she let the characters in her new novel The Ministry of Utmost Happiness decide for her!

‘Fiction takes its time’: Arundhati Roy on why it took 20 years to write her second novel

Things seem to be going your way—hurrah! Having a choice of representation by different agents does pose a dilemma. Do they want you because they've seen something commercially viable in your manuscript, or do they want you simply because someone else does? And does it matter anyway, for isn't this how bidding wars start with more and more agents, then publishers, fighting to sign you?

Arundhati Roy has just released her second novel, twenty years after the success of The God of Small Things. Faced with having to choose between several publishers, she let the characters in her new novel The Ministry of Utmost Happiness decide for her!

‘Fiction takes its time’: Arundhati Roy on why it took 20 years to write her second novel
I'm not banking on anything, Paul...as I say, I've been here before and *adopts doom-laden voice* nothing good can come of hoping.
I read the Roy interview; she's a very interesting writer, and it's nice to hear someone extolling the virtues of slow work!

Saw this on AuthorPlanet Blog

Seemed pertinent.

An Unsolicited Query: Should You Ask Again?
With just a couple exceptions, if you have sent a query to an agent and heard nothing, do nothing. There are lots of agents in the publishing sea. Try someone else. Don’t worry that your email has been lost; it probably hasn’t. A “no response” is a “no.”

Exception 1: You have a personal connection to the agent. You’re a friend of her friend, or an editor has recommended you contact her. If there’s a real connection there and you haven’t heard back, it is possible the note has gotten lost.

Exception 2: You really did experience a technical snafu, and you’re not sure if your email went out.

Exception 3: If you really really want to work with a particular agent, and another agent has expressed strong interest. (Note: if another agent has actually offered representation, I wouldn’t recommend reaching out to someone who hasn’t even answered your query. That seems pretty unfair to the agent who offered.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Happy Birthday, Octopus Messiah.

L

Happy Birthday, AgentPete.

Back