Writing The Scary: Article, The Horror Of The Unreal

Have you ever won anything?

J

Fanfare! Upcoming publication

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend introduced me to Ligotti by buying "Teatro Grottesco" as a Christmas present. My feeling after reading few stories was (except of the obvious thrill you get from a good horror) nodding my head, like "Now now we're talking good writer". I am considering buying the Penguin antology.

The Saw 1 bored me. One of the sequels (don't remember which one exacly I saw) bored AND disgusted me.

As for The Human Centipede... for me it falls in the "so bad it's good cathegory". The whole thing is very artsy and not really gore'y. I'm talking about the firs part here- the sequels I did not want to watch, as it seemed obvious from the reviews that they're just about shock and gore.

I have never watched the human centipede, but seen lots of christmass cards, snowmen statues based on it, etc.. that I suppose its just relogated to 'late night, college students, no girlfriends, lets get loads of beer, watch human centipede, arent we wild' sort of appeal.

I watched a brilliant disturbing Irish film recently, a commedy, a tragedy called 'Calvery' no poetic pun intended.

I probably have to care about someone in the story, and wish to protect them to get really frightened. Anything with girls in it of about my daughters ages and I'm, nah. I won't watch 'Saw', and definitely won't watch 'The Human Centipede.'

Dat looks just disgooostin, she eloquently articulated.

The Horror of the Unreal - The New Yorker
Thanks for posting this. Recently, I've been tossing ideas around in my head, trying to find one that will be the basis for a weird short story. I haven't found one yet, but this is fertile ground.

I have never watched the human centipede, but seen lots of christmass cards, snowmen statues based on it, etc.. that I suppose its just relogated to 'late night, college students, no girlfriends, lets get loads of beer, watch human centipede, arent we wild' sort of appeal.

I watched a brilliant disturbing Irish film recently, a commedy, a tragedy called 'Calvery' no poetic pun intended.

I saw Calvary. Thought it was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have you ever won anything?

J

Fanfare! Upcoming publication

Back