Writing over 10k words every day technique.....

A

Website - New

To-be or not to-be....definitely NOT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done 13K in one day twice, but only because I was up against a deadline I could not change. And I hated doing it, but also knew I could fix anything I had to fix when the edits came in. Not only do my hands hurt like heck trying to write that much, but my brain is just fried. And probably less than five times I've done 9K to 12K a day, but again that was because I was so far behind and had no choice but to catch up. Sometimes real life forces me to take days off I don't plan, or shorten the word count for that day, but I still have contractual obligations to meet. Fortunately, I usually have time to slow down when the edits come in and so can clean things up that way. Even if I didn't have the day job, 4K to 5K a day is pretty much my limit from a creative standpoint. My mind becomes tired after that and I find it wandering away.

Gonna try music today. Let's see advice to take on board today:

3. Music - got to find something that works for me...maybe be classical.

You could also try weather sounds (or similar)! I forgot to say in my previous post but I find the sound of rain really, really relaxing. It's like meditation for me, especially at night! :confused: There are lots of videos on YouTube for you to try. :)

Yes! Youtube! That's where I have all my playlists and where I find new inspiration. I will also put on Pandora in the background and if a certain song strikes a chord, I head over to my youtube channel and add it to my list for future reference.

Thanks for sharing the blog post, Emurelda. I agree with the theory behind it, but I'm not sure I would ever manage to reach that word count. Maybe, if I didn't have a full time day job. I also need lots of thinking time and jotting down ideas, plot twists etc, before I start to write - sometimes that takes up more than just 5 minutes of my writing time! I love music and find it very inspirational, but I can't write to music because it distracts me - I'll just sit and listen and daydream, then not get any writing done at all!

I read the ebook by Rachel Aaron (for around 2 dollars i think). Time and money well spent. It helped me get my act together not necessarily for writing xk words per day, but for being more intentional about the creative process. Some really simple strategies that can indeed save time and tears - and possibly improve the quality regardless of quantity. Like most How Tos, you can do a lot of underlining but not implement anything. I've complied my own "Writing Lessons Mastersheet" doc in which I write down lessons I've learned from reading and writing that I actually want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Website - New

To-be or not to-be....definitely NOT!!

Back