Amusement Writing memes (add your favourites)

Fanfare! Is this a record?

Thank you!

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, in the original Middle English.
I laboured over translating that for TWO YEARS. I wept blood.

After my finals I came back to my room and ... hurled it out of the 3rd floor window. Along with Beowulf (likewise in the original) and Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Primer and Grammar. One by one, into the rain.

Also, in a totally different context, in a primary school reading book, aged about 9, Greyfriars Bobby. That I do recommend.

After my finals I came back to my room and ... hurled it out of the 3rd floor window. Along with Beowulf (likewise in the original) and Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Primer and Grammar. One by one, into the rain.

Also, in a totally different context, in a primary school reading book, aged about 9, Greyfriars Bobby. That I do recommend.
Yes, Greyfriars Bobby is so much better than the Disney movie they made. I salute your willingness to submit yourself to the discipline. Someone has to be willing to do it or it is lost. Thinking of the young woman who told Fiona Shaw( during a Q and A with her at an ideas festival in Ireland) that Shakespeare can now be thrown out because everything written today is woke and therefore reached the pinnacle of literature. Was so excited when Heaney's translation came out. Seamus Heaney Archives - Free Audiobooks

Have you seen that newish film Gawain and The Green Knight? It is really freaky. Surreal (as it should be) A bold and refreshing change in film, quiet, slow burn, visionary, deferred gratification....

Have you seen that newish film Gawain and The Green Knight? It is really freaky. Surreal (as it should be) A bold and refreshing change in film, quiet, slow burn, visionary, deferred gratification....
Wanted to like it. Struggled. Not to my taste at all. It just seemed to be trying too hard.

Fanfare! Is this a record?

Thank you!

Back