• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Blog Post: Writing Emotion

Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

From Our Blog

Blogger
New blog post by Claire G – discussions in this thread, please
---

Out of the Mouths of Babes

This post was inspired by a comment made by my eleven-year-old son. It was prompted by his question regarding what I’d hypothetically create a YouTube channel about (reading and writing novels of course!). He summed up in one sentence what I took years to work out: “The most important thing a story needs is emotion.” He went on to discuss how video games are similar, citing The Legend of Zelda as an example: “The creators didn’t just tell us the world was almost destroyed; they showed us, and it made us care about the characters.”

The Reader Doesn’t Have to Like the Protagonist

Something I’ve learned when having my writing critiqued by the wonderful and insightful members of Litopia, is that your main character can be unlikeable, but there’s a caveat. As my son said, the reader must care what happens to them; they need a reason to root for them. This can be achieved by making the reader react emotionally to your character. We may not like them, or agree with their choices, but maybe we can empathise with them and their situation and what made them the way they are (their backstory). A classic way to do this is to have a ‘Save the Cat’ moment early in the story. This shows us that the protagonist is not completely without redeeming qualities and makes us more disposed to involving ourselves in their story and sticking with them for the duration of a novel. We want the reader to be curious enough to turn the page, and part of evoking this curiosity is to make the reader – excuse me – give a f*ck.

What’s Love Got to Do With It?

I keep coming back to Agent Pete’s phrase: ‘emotional aftertaste’. This is what we as writers should leave the reader with by the end of a scene/chapter/the novel. It doesn’t have to be a positive feeling, like satisfaction; it can be heart-wrenching sadness. The point is to leave them with something – otherwise what was the point of your story? Of course, this aftertaste will depend on genre. Readers have expectations when they sit down to read a romance that there will be a happy-ever-after; a horror novel may end in a, well, horrifying manner; a literary novel may have an ambiguous ending, but still leave the reader with an ache in the pit of their stomach.

How Do We Know if We’re Evoking Emotion?

We don’t – it’s up to the reader to decide this. Oh, we can try our best to show-not-tell, to put the protagonist in-scene and show them having to deal with difficulties, conflict, dilemma, to make the reader wonder, ‘what would I do in this situation?’ But at the end of the day, we can’t possibly know how the reader will react to our writing – we’re too close to the story. Beta readers come in here; their fresh eyes and objectivity places them in a position which you, unfortunately, cannot. It can be hard to take feedback on our work, but if a trusted early reader tells you there’s something lacking, be open-minded and listen to them. If their comments are constructive, try to analyse them – what was lacking? Where? Why? How can I fix it? And remember, sometimes less is more – don’t be afraid to be economical with your language. Trust the intelligence of your reader to read between the lines. You don’t need to label the emotion your character is feeling; show it in their speech, body language, actions. Or even better, show it by what they don’t say or do.

Experience

I’ll admit, there are times when I struggle with ‘show-don’t-tell’ (though we know that this is by no means a hard and fast rule). I find it easier in some genres than others. For example, I’m always tempted to put adverbs like ‘anxiously’ in my dialogue tags. Perhaps this is a habit which stems from my career as a teacher, where I was used to having to over-explain things.

In terms of novels I’ve read, perhaps the one which left the greatest emotional aftertaste was Fractured by Dani Atkins – I cried my eyes out at the ending. Novels like The Giver by Lois Lowry also left me with strong reactions as the story unfolded.

Final Thoughts

How do you evoke emotion in your writing? Do you have any tips for other writers?

Which novels have you read which do this successfully? How does the author achieve this?
---

By @Claire G
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…

I can relate to the struggle with show not tell. I think this is the trickiest feedback to interpret. When people say you have to explain this or that because they didn't understand an excerpt I think you have to assume it only means they didn't want to read on and check and see how you can improve the "cookies." Salt must be sprinkled.

Since I had to learn to write for newspapers and magazines directed to a 5th grade audience I think it is similar to your experience as a teacher.

My first efforts at a novel were clogged with info dumps. The joy of writing genre is you can assume your reader gets most of it and even wants to be confused and puzzled-if it's in a good way. With SF and fantasy I am learning that it is expected that you leave the reader boggled and then show them the bigger pic brush stroke by brushstroke.

As for your topic I credit 'The Emotional Craft of Fiction. How to write the story beneath the surface' for helping me break thru. As a reporter you are expected to manipulate emotion-but always in a safe way.

As a reporter if you do a story about an 18 year old driver left quadriplegic from a car wreck and living in a nursing home surrounded by old people with Alzheimers-you don't write her rage. You write she is working on a degree in social studies because she is determined to become a social worker and help others like her.

Fiction is a 180 degree swivel. You write how her eyes blaze as she manuevers around an incontinent roommate by blowing in a tube. You show the wizened old lady tucked in with a doll who thinks she's 4 years old and the teenager comforting the whimpering white-haired "child" who thinks the girl is her mother. You contrast the smooth skin of the paralysed hands clutched by spotted and gnarled ones.

Last edited:
If you don't feel it, your reader won't feel it.
That's why I put my psychological thriller MS on one side, despite having a (professional, published) mentor telling me just to crank up the pace and it would work.
I couldn't get invested in my perfectly OK – but not interesting to me – MFC, so couldn't believe anyone else would. I had a wonderfully evil killer, though.

As for your topic I credit 'The Emotional Craft of Fiction. How to write the story beneath the surface' for helping me break thru. As a reporter you are expected to manipulate emotion-but always in a safe way.
For UK audible members, The Emotional Craft of Fiction is available for free in the plus catalogue. I listened to it a few weeks back and found it enlightening.

As a reader, I don't like being told how to feel, but I like writing that stimulates a feeling.
As a writer that's very hard to predict, but I am wary of overdoing the emotional stuff. The sort of writing I like leaves space for the reader to feel whatever they want to feel.
Authors who do this well (off the top of my head): Ian McEwan, John Irving, Ruth Ozeki, Clare Chambers, Gabrielle Zevin.

For UK audible members, The Emotional Craft of Fiction is available for free in the plus catalogue. I listened to it a few weeks back and found it enlightening.

As a reader, I don't like being told how to feel, but I like writing that stimulates a feeling.
As a writer that's very hard to predict, but I am wary of overdoing the emotional stuff. The sort of writing I like leaves space for the reader to feel whatever they want to feel.
Authors who do this well (off the top of my head): Ian McEwan, John Irving, Ruth Ozeki, Clare Chambers, Gabrielle Zevin.
Exactly me. I am not a reader who likes a good cry. Though I know there are a whole lot of lovely readers out there who do. Do not try to "wring" my heart. I am more likely to see that as heart "winge'ing"

I add Maggie O'Farrell.

Great post Claire! Your son is so astute for 11! He's right about video games, too. I play MMORPG's and they do their best to infuse emotion into the storylines. After playing for years, you can see the emotional story lines repeat. Still fun though to see how they can put a new twist on things! My favorite is when it's grey and everyone has meaningful stories. Then give you choices and it can become tense emotionally!

Unlikable Protagonist - definitely giving them a "Save the Cat" moment is great. Another ways is having someone they love unconditionally. Or having someone love them unconditionally, or having good friends. Courage/bravery, humour/wit, being good at something, being in danger, being hard working, these too can be ways to form emotional attachments to "unlikable" MC's. Also being in pursuit of a passionate goal is a good one. We tend to like characters who are really going for something. Eric Edson's 'Story Solution' goes into all this quite a bit.

I think one of the worst emotions you can evoke in a reader is the kind of confusion that disconnects the reader from the char or the story. To me, the biggest factor for this is tied into when and how you show (or tell) the information needed to keep the reader engaged. It's a fine line. Give them too much and they're bored. Give them too little and they're frustrated. The questions you might not want the reader asking are: Why did that char do that? (Not understanding motivations) Why do they know stuff that I don't know? (Obviously withholding info so as not to give away plot.) Or the worst one, why am I asking that question when the MC should be asking it and isn't. (When it feels like a plot device more than a char flaw.) There's ways around all that without spoiling anything. For example, have the char ask questions or look for answers, without getting any. In terms of timing, try to give the reader info on a need-to-know basis. Do they need that info? Do they need it now? A lot of the time info dumping problems are about timing.

I know I talk a lot about 'Project Hail Mary' by Andy Weir but was the perfect mix of all of this for me. The MC wasn't completely likeable, but he was funny, smart, in danger, and had a wonderful friend who loved him. The info throughout, and there was a LOT of info, was given only on a need-to-know basis with perfect timing. We knew what the MC knew. The MC asked questions that we asked. Didn't often get answers, but he asked. He desperately needed something. Many somethings, escalating as his knowledge grew. And the end of the book was so utterly satisfying in a way I did not expect. I was left in a sobbing puddle of joy. Talk about emotional aftertaste. This book took Andy Weir 18 drafts to write. He struggled to get it perfect. But he persevered, and in my opinion, succeed in spades.

Thanks Claire for letting us delving into our favorite topic! :D

I'll add our own Claire G, the author of this blog post. She sucker-punched me about midway through Daisy Roberts is Dead. I'm not easily triggered, but I had to put down my tablet right after the big reveal.

The last few chapters made me cry. I want to write like that.

I'll add our own Claire G, the author of this blog post. She sucker-punched me about midway through Daisy Roberts is Dead. I'm not easily triggered, but I had to put down my tablet right after the big reveal.

The last few chapters made me cry. I want to write like that.
Thank you @Bloo xx

Back