• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

News Writing Competition for Children and YA

I'm confused when they say pitch no more than 175 words. Do they want like a query-blurb? because mine is 181 words and could be trimmed, but my pitch is 8 words? That isn't a typo. Any pointers @Ancora Imparo?

I think you can make it as short as you want, Rachel. The word count is probably to stop those writers who like to ramble on...and on :) But I'll double check and get back to you (and I'll suggest they make it a touch clearer, too).

Hi, Rachel, I double checked, and they say my answer is correct – make it as short a pitch as you like. The cut-off point of 175 words is to stop those people who like sending long tracts of explanatory text with no regard for its size. Hope that helps.

Back