Help! Writing a Ukrainian MC

Too much at once!

Spotify & Audiobooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need her to be intelligent and educated
The answer to this is to have her attend night school and online (if it's the right era) and distance education. People who have a need to overcome the feeling of being 'dumb' go to great lengths to learn from any source they can, but it always feels like it's never enough, so they keep searching for new knowledge, clearer understanding, to the point of obsession (for some). You could have her do all those things, and show her intelligence even though she doubts herself despite knowing she's right.

At the mo, I've planned it that her trafficker was a Brit. She would have learnt from him to a degree - although it prob would be in his interest if she can't speak to the outside world (keeps her scared and out of her comfort zone knowing she can't be understood outside). Her mother will speak English but only a bit (she was to marry him. It was a trap), and I'll give her a 'client' who is fond of her and talks to her. She will have been in captivity for 4 years until aged 18, then stayed in the UK after she escaped. I haven't decided yet if she went to school after (most likely - I need her to be intelligent and educated for the sequels) but either way, I think she'd want to speak it well to blend in as much as poss so she can hide among the crowds and not be spotted for who she is (fear of being re-captured, fear of people finding out what she did, albeit under pressure). I'm waffling.

Love the sound of this. It's a fab premise, an important topic and very current. How much English might she have learned before she was trafficked?

with the internet etc, I suspect youngsters are picking up a fair amount.
Chances are, she'll have some US inflections/vocab/turns of phrase. Worth bearing in mind!

As for the intelligence/educated part, I'm reminded of Lisbeth Salander in the Millennium Trilogy. She was very bright, very resourceful, largely self-taught in later life (although, we're told she was good at Maths at school and is helped by a photographic memory).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Too much at once!

Spotify & Audiobooks

Back