Who needs a publisher?

World Poetry Day

Changes to The Whole Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
There's some useful advice in this article about best-selling author Dean Crawford, but it studiously ignores the fact that the author already had a £350,000 book deal behind him.

That thousands of readers recognised his name helped him launch his online book publishing venture. He already had a platform...he was already a brand.

I'd have been more impressed, had he achieved success after adopting a different pen name—without publicising it.

How to make a living as an author without a publisher: 'Dig out old manuscripts that publishers or agents didn't want'

Interesting how fickle readers are, with a shift from action stories to dark psychological thrillers (with lots of Girls in the titles!).

I wonder what the next trend will be...presidential assassination potboilers sounds likely.

I think the fact that he was already a bestselling author and had a large established readership is a major factor in his success. If not THE major factor.

And ah yes, the fickle market. Hence the advice not to try to follow trends. And hence the element of luck in whether you're pushing something that happens to be hot or has gone off the boil as far as the market is concerned.

I've read some of Dean's books and thoroughly enjoyed them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

World Poetry Day

Changes to The Whole Writer

Back