When Fiction Gets Real!

Reality Check Are you addicted to writing?

Writing In The First Person

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
I've sometimes thought that crime novelists know more ways to kill someone than other genre writers and honest members of the public.

For my own writing, in the last four years I've researched garotting, stabbing, poisoning, drowning and cooking someone to death in a sauna! Despite this, I'm a peaceful soul, though not every author believes in keeping their crimes on the page:

Novelist Who Penned 'How To Murder Your Husband' Essay Charged With Husband's Murder

9422607_orig.jpg

I once wrote a short story in a near future world where everyone was connected to the net through wireless AR goggles. The killer hacked the victim's goggles and recorded a video of the drive home from work. The route included a sharp turn on a mountain road. The next day as the victim drove home from work, the killer replaced the live AR stream with the recorded video from the previous day, slowing it just enough that the victim thought the hairpin turn was a few hundred yards farther along. As his car sailed off the cliff, the killer remotely deleted the video.

It's always fun to figure out new ways to kill people.

She hasn't been convicted. She certainly has not confessed and we don't know if she believes in acting out the murders she imagines. The link is not an example of:

not every author believes in keeping their crimes on the page

The link if an example of people believing someone might have done something they wrote about. That's a much more interesting topic if you ask me.

But -- of course -- if it hasn't occurred to you (and I see no indication that it has), it might not be nice to behave as if this author is guilty when she has merely been accused. We actually know very little about the case. The evidence against her is sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Check Are you addicted to writing?

Writing In The First Person

Back