What Operating System do you use when writing?

What Operating System do you use when writing?

• Mac OSX

• Microsoft Windows

• *nix (Unix/Linux - for the brave or the bold)

• Other (there are others?!)

• What's an Operating System? (Does pen and paper count?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
S

Why do you buy a particular book over another.

J

Minutia quibblery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a laptop for writing, for other non-writing tech work I do and also for navigation; Android/Nexus for writing and navigation, and now Android on a Galaxy smartphone. Smooth-ish networking between all 3. I use a lot of open source software which works well for me (including GIMP graphics, e-pub - and yes, navigation - much of which is unavailable on the OS/X platform and I couldn't afford anyway). It all keeps my brain sharp-ish...

Apples are good for cider.

I use a laptop for writing, for other non-writing tech work I do and also for navigation; Android/Nexus for writing and navigation, and now Android on a Galaxy smartphone. Smooth-ish networking between all 3. I use a lot of open source software which works well for me (including GIMP graphics, e-pub - and yes, navigation - much of which is unavailable on the OS/X platform and I couldn't afford anyway). It all keeps my brain sharp-ish...

Apples are good for cider.
LOL! Well said!

*shrugs* I never had a stitch of trouble figuring out how to use my Mac after using Windows PCs for years. I find them very intuitive and easy to use, and a LOT less trouble than Windows PCs and their never-ending issues. *insert eye roll* If I was home writing full time I'd have a desktop computer and my laptop, but for now I just have my laptop and do all my writing on it because it's so easy to carry around. Different strokes and all that. :)

Good thread. I subscribe to MS Office, so all my work is on Microsoft Onedrive.
I write at home on a PC laptop, and use a similar one for short stories at work. (Lunch breaks, honest!)
But - all my editing and re-drafting is done on the iPad, using Word on iOS because I can take it to which ever part of the house is quieter.

I use Open Office for all my writings. Most publish on demand sites recognise it, and it also can save in any number of formats, from doc, docx to rtf etc., and costs not one cent. I'd never pay MS for nothing, or even anything lol ;)

I spend most of my waking life in one Microsoft application or another. I think I'm probably the last MS Access user on the planet!

I use Open Office for all my writings. Most publish on demand sites recognise it, and it also can save in any number of formats, from doc, docx to rtf etc., and costs not one cent. I'd never pay MS for nothing, or even anything lol ;)

I used Open Office for several years. I like it, but for editing it's not as robust.

As for Word, I think it's utterly ridiculous of MS not to include it by default. And costs an utterly ridiculous price. (I have it, but my husband got it for me for free with his MS account.)

I used Open Office for several years. I like it, but for editing it's not as robust.

As for Word, I think it's utterly ridiculous of MS not to include it by default. And costs an utterly ridiculous price. (I have it, but my husband got it for me for free with his MS account.)
It is a bit rediculous. I can share mines with 5 others as well as put it on as me on 5 devices, but it really should come as standard.

Aargh, ye mateys, now why yeh be payin for it in teh firs place?

I've got this quirk about using genuine software. I never get anything illegally. Mind you I've always been the same with movies, music etc.

I figured I could share it with close family etc. I do the same with Netflix and Amazon Prime

Well, you have all the legal copies which were allotted to you, with which to do as you please.

I agree that MS word should come as standard and when I purchased my first laptop I was surprised it didn't. Although there is a basic one installed I believe.

What I hate about technology these days is that they don't make things to last anymore. It's a false economy. The number of times my iPad lead tore at the end...... I could have bought quite few books. Gutted at that opportunity cost.

What I hate about technology these days is that they don't make things to last anymore. It's a false economy. The number of times my iPad lead tore at the end...... I could have bought quite few books. Gutted at that opportunity cost.

This comes back to another reason why people avoid Apple - proprietary & expensive hardware. Let's not even get into the ethics of how they manufacture them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Why do you buy a particular book over another.

J

Minutia quibblery

Back