What do you write?

The 100 Best Novels

The Demise of Authonomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, an opportunity to talk about Me. Fantastic. Problem is, I don't know how to answer the question. In terms of form, I am focussing on the short story, partly because I love it, partly because of time issues, and partly because it gives me the opportunity to learn about what works and what doesn't before embarking on a novel. To learn how to write, in other words. I do have the plot for a novel, in fact a trilogy, slowly coalescing in a cruel and unusual part of my brain, but I am firmly suppressing it for the moment. In terms of genre, I started out trying sci-fi and horror, but my early efforts seem to show a leaning towards lit fic. I think I will end up in some odd niche which might be described as literary dark fantasy. Bit like a modern Du Maurier, perhaps?

Themes: near-future sci fi [realistic extrapolations of current science], the quirks of the human mind [eg perception vs reality], the basis and mutability of identity...

How about you?

I have a three part fantasy book that's just about ready to submit, I think. I love writing and reading fantasy, these books were my escapism as a child. I love exploring new worlds and finding new ways of living. I'd have a go at writing any genre, just for my own amusement mostly, if I imagined the story would be interesting enough to read.

I've mentioned, in other threads, my aversion to getting pigeonholed as a writer, though these days with marketing and writers becoming their own brand, this is very likely to happen.

I've written poetry for adults and children, all genres of song lyrics, paranormal short stories, weird romances, Westerns and crime novellas. My novel, which I've been touting around literary agencies and publishers for eight months, is a psychological thriller. As I'm intending to begin work soon on a prequel to it, introducing some of the main characters, this might see me categorised as just a thriller writer.

No fair! I'm not a one-trick pony...

I'm curious @Lex Black, you go on about how bad you are at writing, but, when you were a member of the old Litopia, didn't you ever put your work though the houses there? I believe the standard of critique was extremely high and a good number of people who honed their skills there found agents and got book deals - I believe there was even one on the Carnegie longlist? You would have learned a lot!

Yes, I participated in the Houses extensively*. A great many people were very kind in providing a lot of feedback. It still didn't help me write anything worth reading, or that I could sell.

*Although I couldn't even get into Litopia at first, either. In those days, you had to submit a written work of yours to join the Colony. I sent one, something I thought was one of my better pieces (so, C- by any good standards) and was REJECTED.

The free, open, inclusive online writing community dedicated to helping writers of all stripes improve themselves, and they wouldn't let me in. I was actually on my way out the door, throwing my hands up in frustration, when a friend in the community urged me to submit again once a certain time frame had passed. Aggravated, I fired off a one-page, banal piece of crap I pounded out in an afternoon based on a nightmare I had recently had, and THAT got me in. In retrospect, I find this to be an avid metaphor for the publishing community as a whole.

You know, I should think of a good thread topic to start a conversation on. Just reading what I post here, you would never guess that I am an endlessly optimistic, upbeat, laughing-till-the-party-tells-me-to-stop kinda person. Letting myself think I was any kind of writer really did a lot of damage, I suppose. :(

OMG! You know do you ever wonder when you will look back and laugh at this? I really hope that time is either here for you or will come soon. Honestly..I can't believe the second paragraph - talk about feeling like being kicked whilst you're feeling low :(

Ah, an opportunity to talk about Me. Fantastic. Problem is, I don't know how to answer the question. In terms of form, I am focussing on the short story, partly because I love it, partly because of time issues, and partly because it gives me the opportunity to learn about what works and what doesn't before embarking on a novel. To learn how to write, in other words. I do have the plot for a novel, in fact a trilogy, slowly coalescing in a cruel and unusual part of my brain, but I am firmly suppressing it for the moment. In terms of genre, I started out trying sci-fi and horror, but my early efforts seem to show a leaning towards lit fic. I think I will end up in some odd niche which might be described as literary dark fantasy. Bit like a modern Du Maurier, perhaps?

Themes: near-future sci fi [realistic extrapolations of current science], the quirks of the human mind [eg perception vs reality], the basis and mutability of identity...

How about you?

Oh! Lovely!! I like that " literary dark fantasy genre" idea. One of my novels is exactly that! Very much Du Maurier and I couldn´t figure out how to explain it.

I've mentioned, in other threads, my aversion to getting pigeonholed as a writer, though these days with marketing and writers becoming their own brand, this is very likely to happen.

I've written poetry for adults and children, all genres of song lyrics, paranormal short stories, weird romances, Westerns and crime novellas. My novel, which I've been touting around literary agencies and publishers for eight months, is a psychological thriller. As I'm intending to begin work soon on a prequel to it, introducing some of the main characters, this might see me categorised as just a thriller writer.

No fair! I'm not a one-trick pony...

Got room in that boat for me, Paul? I write all sorts of different things as well.

Yes, I participated in the Houses extensively*. A great many people were very kind in providing a lot of feedback. It still didn't help me write anything worth reading, or that I could sell.

*Although I couldn't even get into Litopia at first, either. In those days, you had to submit a written work of yours to join the Colony. I sent one, something I thought was one of my better pieces (so, C- by any good standards) and was REJECTED.

The free, open, inclusive online writing community dedicated to helping writers of all stripes improve themselves, and they wouldn't let me in. I was actually on my way out the door, throwing my hands up in frustration, when a friend in the community urged me to submit again once a certain time frame had passed. Aggravated, I fired off a one-page, banal piece of crap I pounded out in an afternoon based on a nightmare I had recently had, and THAT got me in. In retrospect, I find this to be an avid metaphor for the publishing community as a whole.

You know, I should think of a good thread topic to start a conversation on. Just reading what I post here, you would never guess that I am an endlessly optimistic, upbeat, laughing-till-the-party-tells-me-to-stop kinda person. Letting myself think I was any kind of writer really did a lot of damage, I suppose. :(

I remember that! I was here when back then and the exact same thing happened to me! So, the houses are gone now? How does one go about receiving critiques now?

Ok, my turn.
Like my friend Paul, I write all sorts of stuff and it seems to shift every so often so I have tons of unfinished material. I hate it! I went to film school and did a year of college creative writing so I have several screenplays, and some journalist work such as interviews and chronicles. I have written some short stories and I´ve got 6 or 7 half baked novels and a novelette. 5 Novels are for middle grade and 2 are for adults with a gothic/horror/dark literary/ semi-erotic fiction feel to them ....try selling that!

Last edited:
Ok, my turn.
As my Paul friend Paul, I write all sorts of stuff and it seems to shift every so often so I have tons of unfinished material. I hate it! I went to film school and did a year of college creative writing so I have several screenplays, and some journalist work such as interviews and chronicles. I have written some short stories and I´ve got 6 or 7 half baked novels and a novelette. 5 Novels are for middle grade and 2 are for adults with a gothic/horror/dark literary/ semi-erotic fiction feel to them ....try selling that!

Great variety..but don't try selling them all at once! :D

I write fantasy, then I surprised myself and did a non-fiction based on years of research I gathered.

Sounds like something I´d like to read!
You should, it is fantastic, I love the plot, the characters and watching their relationships develop. It's well worth reading. I can't wait for the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The 100 Best Novels

The Demise of Authonomy

Back