What are you reading at the moment? Recommendations welcome

Microsuction

Finished "The House at the Edge of the World" by Julia Rochester (contemporary fiction).
Really absorbing. Has the poignancy and humour of the TV comedy series "Fleabag", including an almost replica of a pre-wedding comment to the main character! Great analogies throughout & some super quips.
This sounds right up my alley! Bookmarking for future reading.

Currently reading the first volume of Karl Ove Knausgård's My Struggle. Only at the beginning but already falling under the magic of his voice.

Greetings all! I cracked open Janet Frame's "In the Memorial Room" last night. It's one of those books that's been sitting on the shelf for over a year and I'm finally getting to it. Love her voice.

Am reading Foxglove Summer by Ben Aaronovitch. Mixed feelings.

I like a police procedural, and there's some lovely turns of phrases (like, "Midwich Cuckoo hair", and referring to police cars as "battenbergs"). The main protag seems a bit 2D, though, as I can't even figure out whether he's in his 20s, 30s or 40s. The writer has assumed that the reader has read his previous books and knows all the backstory. I have no idea whom some of the secondary characters are, yet full enjoyment of the story sorta depends on knowing them a bit. Am enjoying it enough to finish it. (Just about).

I've finished reading How Much Of These Hills Is Gold by C Pam Zhang, which is an astonishingly strong debut novel; it will be one of my Favourite Reads of 2021, a list I compile at the end of each year. It's one of those books that I hope never gets made into a film, as it's so writerly, requiring the reader to work out what's going on.

I also lovedTimothy's book: notes of an English country tortoise, by Verlyn Klinkenborg. A real treat, but a book that few will read as it's so odd. I feel like I've become part of a special club—someone who's read the musings of Timothy.

For something completely different, I've begun Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds, And Shape Our Futures. Written by Merlin Sheldrake, the 25-page introduction astonished me, so I'm sure that my mind will be blown by the time I've made sense of fungi.

I've now finished The Skylarks War by Hilary Mackay(which was excellent, by the way...Mary Wesley fans...and aforementioned enthusiasts of Kate Atkinson's work, you'll love it!) and have moved on to Between The Stops, which is a memoir by the British comedian and writer, Sandi Toksvig.
I'm also reading (bit by bit) The Secret Barrister (God help us if we ever get entangled in the UK court system!) and Food Refusal and Avoidant Eating Children by Gillian Harris and Elizabeth Shea (because it's become clear both my kids have the eating disorder ARFID, so I'm educating myself about it...fascinating and helpful).

@RK Capps you could try this, which is available on Kindle (also about ARFID and offers a CBT-based approach to treatment)
Kate, I feel for you with kids that are having difficulties. It is heartbreaking and one feels helpless. I’m glad you’ve found something that is giving you both info and hope. My fingers are crossed that this helps them move towards something healthier.
Xxx VH

Recently finished The Last Policeman trilogy -- SOOO good. Pre-apocalyptic mystery series following a fascinating guy who keeps trying to find justice/do his best to build a just world as society falls apart because the world is going to end.

I found this a prophetic quote from Dracula:

Some of the “New Women” writers will some day start an idea that men and women should be allowed to see each other asleep before proposing or accepting.

Finished "The Starless Sea" by Erin Morgenstern.

Fantastic! A book I will return to many times. Erin takes the Alice in Wonderland theme, unthreads it and re-embroiders it into her own unique and beautifully written story. I totally recommend this book.
@dave.crowther , you will love this book, and it will make a good comp title, I think, for your C.O.D.A.
Thank you @Hannah F ! Ive read it! It was delicious

@Katie-Ellen recommended Bob Beagrie's The Seer Sung Husband. Well Katie-Ellen it arrived today, and what a fabulous little book. I'm reading it aloud (to myself) in my little studio, and what a delight it is - the words roll fluently from the mouth and what an engaging little tale. Thank you :)

@Katie-Ellen recommended Bob Beagrie's The Seer Sung Husband. Well Katie-Ellen it arrived today, and what a fabulous little book. I'm reading it aloud (to myself) in my little studio, and what a delight it is - the words roll fluently from the mouth and what an engaging little tale. Thank you :)
Oh, I have it ordered too! And the one you recommended @Galadriel (cannot for the life of me remember the name!!)

Just finished "The Mercies" by Kiran Millwood Hargrave.

Historical fiction inspired by the 1620 Norwegian Witch Trials. The great thing about this book is how it portrays the characters and events that lead to such an atrocity as a witch trial being able to occur. It is very atmospheric, and the last few chapters are engrossing page turners. It is a poignant read.

Just finished "The Mercies" by Kiran Millwood Hargrave.

Historical fiction inspired by the 1620 Norwegian Witch Trials. The great thing about this book is how it portrays the characters and events that lead to such an atrocity as a witch trial being able to occur. It is very atmospheric, and the last few chapters are engrossing page turners. It is a poignant read.

Sounds heartwrenching, might add that to my TBR pile :)

As I mentioned in another post, I’m reading Graham Norton’s second novel A Keeper. One-third of the way through, I’m enjoying it, while wondering at the author’s ‘voice’. Norton has a gossipy, guess-what-happened-next style as if you’re sitting at the kitchen table with him as he unfolds his tale. If you know him as a chat show host, you’ll soon relax into how he teases out his characters’ stories.

For light relief, I’ve borrowed Sosuke Natsukawa’s The Cat Who Saved Books from the library. It’s an international bestseller, translated into over twenty languages. I like the cover.

Microsuction

Back