• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Web archive is a thing!

• Thread starter Thread starter Octopus Messiah
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Octopus Messiah

Why did nobody tell me this before (rhetorical-- I know you people;))?

They (the powers) copied THE ENTIRE OLD INTERNET and pasted it on:
The Internet Archive Way Back Machine!

If it doesn't come up on Google and you're pretty sure it exists: check it out. It's all there. For eternity. Barring zombies.

Srsly: I got to download audio files (originally on cassette, from a conference in '96) and paste them into a pre-existing obituary (for a personal hero, the late, great Terence McKenna: please do check it out!) They're a little bit scratchy (the 4th/last one is my favorite)... but they're there and they're awesomeballs!
terenceinterview.jpg

(you already knew this was a thing, didn't you? why am I always the last to know? again, rhetorical. hope this helps.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did nobody tell me this before (rhetorical-- I know you people;))?

They (the powers) copied THE ENTIRE OLD INTERNET and pasted it on:
The Internet Archive Way Back Machine!

If it doesn't come up on Google and you're pretty sure it exists: check it out. It's all there. For eternity. Barring zombies.

Srsly: I got to download audio files (originally on cassette, from a conference in '96) and paste them into a pre-existing obituary (for a personal hero, the late, great Terence McKenna: please do check it out!) They're a little bit scratchy (the 4th/last one is my favorite)... but they're there and they're awesomeballs!
View attachment 913

(you already knew this was a thing, didn't you? why am I always the last to know? again, rhetorical. hope this helps.)

Kind of scary ... lol

Yes. I've know about it for several years. It doesn't capture everything, however. :)
I kind of figured you did-- you big show off! Imagine how it is for the millenials though, when it DOES capture everything. Barring zombies.

I only discovered it recently when someone was offering to restore old sites using it. I then had a look and what do you know there were my old files captured! I thought they were gone for good. It is cool :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back