Fanfare! Wonderful feedback sent personally

Link Alert! Twisted:50 Submission Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Movies '300.' 'Like Water For Chocolate' . Oldies, Zulu
2. Music Not jazz. Unless it's Nina. Is she jazz?
3. TV shows 'Coast' is never boring.
4. Places Limestone, sandstone and granite and basalt. Not Millstone Grit or clay.
5. Foods Most. Meat, but not much. Fussy about source and husbandry but not when a guest. Rude and boring. Just when buying.
6. Books (a whole series can count as one) Not Harry Potter.
7. Animals Many wonderful, all interesting. A few disgusting but that's just my opinion. Komodo dragons and parasitic wasps and some centipedes.
8. Websites Blurgh
9. Holidays/Times of year/Weather Why don't I like May? I like it less and less, don't seem to thrive in May and I 'ought' . Taurus born Beltane (30 April)
10. Video Games Um. I like the TRAILERS for those war games, Hannibal! Imagine school History, using these!
(Don't know how to play. And we know the outcome.)

Last edited:
New York is the one place I never thought to travel to in fact the US is so vast I wouldn't know where to start. Although NY sounds like a good starting point now that it's on my recommended radar. I have gotten as close to seeing the US border across the cascading beauty of Niagra Falls.
I love NYC and it's a great place to start in the US. It's very open and welcoming. I went by myself for 5 days and, while I was there, understood only half the conversations! Hubby and I are saving up in hopes that we'll get to move there in a few years. :)

I love NYC and it's a great place to start in the US. It's very open and welcoming. I went by myself for 5 days and, while I was there, understood only half the conversations! Hubby and I are saving up in hopes that we'll get to move there in a few years. :)

Is it as expensive as London? Am curious.

Is it as expensive as London? Am curious.
According to my limited research, it's more expensive than London. NYC is incredibly expensive to live in - about twice what I'm paying for now in Houston (which is pretty cheap compared to any other city its size). A good chunk of that is covered by higher wages there, but not all of it. But part of what you're paying for is the experience. So it's all in what you prioritize. :)

According to my limited research, it's more expensive than London. NYC is incredibly expensive to live in - about twice what I'm paying for now in Houston (which is pretty cheap compared to any other city its size). A good chunk of that is covered by higher wages there, but not all of it. But part of what you're paying for is the experience. So it's all in what you prioritize. :)

Yes, I get that impression too. In London you'd be lucky to find a two bedroom flat for less than £250k. And they are much smaller than a 2-bed apartment in NY I would imagine - everything seems so much bigger there including the price it seems.

Movies - Seen it already
Music - Elbow. Muse
TV - Not really
Places - Bamburgh
Foods - Seconds
Books - Plot first
Animal - Dogs (called Elsie)
Websites -Twitter
Time of year - Bedtime
Video games - Elite

You are a very special kind of person...spiders terrify me...

As a child, we had large numbers of the Daring Jumping Spider (Phidippus audax) in our basement family room. They are beautiful, black and white spiders about 3/4 inch long, and they would rappel down from the ceiling while we sat there watching TV in the evenings. They'd land on your knee and cock their heads up at you, as though asking what you were up to. We called them "friend 'pider." I have been in love with spiders ever since. Love teaching kids about them, because once a kid realises they have feet softer than a kitten's, they want to hold them all! :)

As a child, we had large numbers of the Daring Jumping Spider (Phidippus audax) in our basement family room. They are beautiful, black and white spiders about 3/4 inch long, and they would rappel down from the ceiling while we sat there watching TV in the evenings. They'd land on your knee and cock their heads up at you, as though asking what you were up to. We called them "friend 'pider." I have been in love with spiders ever since. Love teaching kids about them, because once a kid realises they have feet softer than a kitten's, they want to hold them all! :)

Reminds me of this article:

http://will-holz.kinja.com/scientists-discover-octokittens-1699616279

1. Movies - Filth, Schindler's List, Calamity Jane (don't judge me!!!) Calam only won by a whisker against several (equally embarrassing) others :p
2. Music - I can't possibly narrow it down to THREE! no way I quite literally can't do it.
3. TV shows - Supernatural, House, Russell Howard's good news
4. Places - Loch Lomond, Glencoe + Ben Nevis (Basically the Scottish Highlands), Glasgow Necropolis
5. Foods - Yellow tomatoes, um...tea... seen as there is no drink option, and um... Aiberdeen Buttries :D
6. Books (a whole series can count as one) - Gads... um Demon Bound and Anything by Trudi Canavan and Garth Nix or Maria Snyder
7. Animals - Horses, Dogs, Highland Coos
8. Websites - Mines (coz it's mines), youtube because it's where I learn EVERYTHING and Ravelry
9. Holidays/Times of year/Weather -Spring/summer (during the shift), Warm rain, Snow.
10. Video Games - Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time,World of Warcraft and Final fantasy but I forget which... more than one of them in any case.

1. Movies - Filth, Schindler's List, Calamity Jane (don't judge me!!!) Calam only won by a whisker against several (equally embarrassing) others :p
2. Music - I can't possibly narrow it down to THREE! no way I quite literally can't do it.
3. TV shows - Supernatural, House, Russell Howard's good news
4. Places - Loch Lomond, Glencoe + Ben Nevis (Basically the Scottish Highlands), Glasgow Necropolis
5. Foods - Yellow tomatoes, um...tea... seen as there is no drink option, and um... Aiberdeen Buttries :D
6. Books (a whole series can count as one) - Gads... um Demon Bound and Anything by Trudi Canavan and Garth Nix or Maria Snyder
7. Animals - Horses, Dogs, Highland Coos
8. Websites - Mines (coz it's mines), youtube because it's where I learn EVERYTHING and Ravelry
9. Holidays/Times of year/Weather -Spring/summer (during the shift), Warm rain, Snow.
10. Video Games - Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time,World of Warcraft and Final fantasy but I forget which... more than one of them in any case.

I dont believe you, no Scottish films?

Local hero
Shallow grave
Gregorys Girl
Trainspoting???

Or am I just showing my age

I love Skye

Haha Filth is a Scottish film. Gregory's girl I am soooo sick of (the 2nd one was filmed in my high school while I went there), Trainspotting yes but not as much as Schindler's list. If you hd given me 5 I would have had 3 Scottish and 2 not ;) But I was only allowed 3.

Skye is beautiful. Overdue a return visit I'd say. Though my next planned trip is to Eilean Donan :D

1. Movies
To Kill A Mockingbird
My Fair Lady
Grease

2. Music
Anything from the 1970s
Anything with pan pipes
Mozart

3. TV shows
The West Wing
Downtown Abbey
Game of Thrones

4. Places (these are places I've been, not places I want to visit)
New York City
Maine
Boston

5. Foods
Breakfast foods
Steamed veggies
Any kind of nut
1. Movies

Millennium Trilogy (aka Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Lisbeth Salander is my hero.

2. Music

Rasputina, The Doors, Bjork

3. TV shows

Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, meh (I don't have a TV, haven't watched TV since BSG went off the air)

Fun fact: I despise TV so much that I have a TV-B-Gon device, and when I'm in a public place where there's a TV, I turn it off. I can't *stand* television. I've never personally owned one; my parents got one when I was 13, and my roommate in college had one, which is how I saw BSG, but after those living situations ended I watched nothing. When my husband moved in with me, I said he could bring ONE of his TVs and that he had to put it in the man cave where I would not have to see or hear it. I have no idea how to operate the darn thing and live quite happily not knowing how. Nothing is uglier to me than the sight of one of those dread machines turned on and people staring at it. /end rant.

4. Places

New Orleans, the desert, any wooded area. I've never had the money to travel much, but I have been to NOLA and the desert and liked them both a lot. Had I my druthers I would go EVERYWHERE. Except maybe Antarctica.

5. Foods

Honestly not a food person, but generally vegetables, fish, and rice (I actually eat this almost every single night for dinner).
1. Movies

Millennium Trilogy (aka Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Lisbeth Salander is my hero.

2. Music

Rasputina, The Doors, Bjork

3. TV shows

Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, meh (I don't have a TV, haven't watched TV since BSG went off the air)

Fun fact: I despise TV so much that I have a TV-B-Gon device, and when I'm in a public place where there's a TV, I turn it off. I can't *stand* television. I've never personally owned one; my parents got one when I was 13, and my roommate in college had one, which is how I saw BSG, but after those living situations ended I watched nothing. When my husband moved in with me, I said he could bring ONE of his TVs and that he had to put it in the man cave where I would not have to see or hear it. I have no idea how to operate the darn thing and live quite happily not knowing how. Nothing is uglier to me than the sight of one of those dread machines turned on and people staring at it. /end rant.

4. Places

New Orleans, the desert, any wooded area. I've never had the money to travel much, but I have been to NOLA and the desert and liked them both a lot. Had I my druthers I would go EVERYWHERE. Except maybe Antarctica.

5. Foods

Honestly not a food person, but generally vegetables, fish, and rice (I actually eat this almost every single night for dinner).

These are all great choices...

It's fine until he's deleting what I've written, sitting in front of the screen, pressing keys on my keyboard that make things happen on my screen and I don't know how to fix them and my absolute favourite: posting messages I haven't finished writing yet! I do love having him around all the time though. Apart from when I'm in the bathroom.
60596305.jpg

Not my cat, but you get the picture!

The best I have ever seen though is when one of my ferrets managed to screenshot my desktop and send a picture of it over Skype to someone. To this day I have no idea how she did it. I can't even do it that fast!
My cat also follows me into the bathroom. He started getting interested in water, so I ran the bathtub faucet for him, and now every time I go in there, he jumps right in the tub and stares at me. It's weird. Cute, but weird.
When my wife goes to the bathroom, both cats follow her in, sit at her feet, and stare up at her, unmoving, until she comes back out. It's like cult-level creepy.

Izzy hates to drink from his bowl. His favorite thing is to drink from the bathroom sink set to trickle, but we give them only filtered water, so he very seldom gets to indulge. Toby likes to reach an arm in when I'm taking a shower and try to claw at my toes. Little bastard.

What a lovely idea....Here are mine (no particular order in each category, and subject to change without warning at any time...)

Movies: Birdy, Delicatessen, L'Appartement
Music: Koyunbaba (Domeniconi), Stabat Mater (Pergolesi), Heart of Saturday Night (Tom Waits)
TV shows: The IT Crowd, The Office, and er can't think of another, don't watch much TV tbh
Places: Porthcurno (Cornwall), Manjolai (India), Geneva
Foods: Christmas pudding, chicken pie, apple crumble
Books: Short stories by Adam Marek, by Stefan Ioannou and by MR James (this category really does change all the time)
Animals: Dogs, cats, and the naked mole rat
Websites: Submittable, The Grinder, and Litopia [of course]
Holidays etc: Summer in Cornwall, Christmas in Cambridge (carols by candlelight in Great St. Mary's), autumn in the Surrey Hills, winter in Geneva
Video games: never touch 'em. Yuk.

Home made boozy cream sauce to go with the Christmas pudding. Will admit to snorting at the IT Crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanfare! Wonderful feedback sent personally

Link Alert! Twisted:50 Submission Opportunity

Back