Thoughts on Audiobooks?

Fun or Profit?

K

Writing for the literacy-challenged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it funny that none of us will ever mention the town we live in, like someone would would be on here to hunt us down couldn't figure it out anyway? I noticed that too.
Seriously. I haven't put anywhere that I'm from Houston, but if you look at any of my text posts (ahem, this one too), you'll know exactly what city I live in - PLUS that I'm in the city (which for Houstonians is easy to figure out what that means) so I'm down to like a 5 mile radius.

I'm not fussed if folk know where I live. Ain't no one going to venture into the East end of Greenock just to stalk me ;)
Not unless they want hacked by a weirdo with a machete or some such.

Plus I'm not stalkable material :p

Seriously. I haven't put anywhere that I'm from Houston, but if you look at any of my text posts (ahem, this one too), you'll know exactly what city I live in - PLUS that I'm in the city (which for Houstonians is easy to figure out what that means) so I'm down to like a 5 mile radius.
Except for that. I couldn't remember if I'd figured out you were in the Houston area, if you hinted at it, or if you'd specifically mentioned it. That to me sounds like a 50-mile radius, though, because I don't know. Like saying I'm from the DC area, here. We call it the DMV (District-Maryland-Virginia).

Haha! You mean all except me? I talk about Greenock regularly :)
I knew you'd mentioned where you lived, but I couldn't remember if it was in a PM — I thought it was.

I'm not fussed if folk know where I live. Ain't no one going to venture into the East end of Greenock just to stalk me ;)
Not unless they want hacked by a weirdo with a machete or some such.

Plus I'm not stalkable material :p
That's because you're the one with the machete, isn't it.

I live in Frederick. Great place to live. Almost worth three-and-a-half hours in the car sitting in traffic, every day.
carroll-creek-at-dawn.jpg 7858050868_69a31de9dc_b.jpg
5009526114_a6fd0ab4d8_b.jpg Sugarloaf_Mountain1.jpg
3a13cf80d211e6c0d0c539b2b424de2c.jpg

THIS traffic:
beltway-traffic.jpgtraffic.jpg

Last edited:
Except for that. I couldn't remember if I'd figured out you were in the Houston area, if you hinted at it, or if you'd specifically mentioned it. That to me sounds like a 50-mile radius, though, because I don't know. Like saying I'm from the DC area, here. We call it the DMV (District-Maryland-Virginia).

I knew you'd mentioned where you lived, but I couldn't remember if it was in a PM — I thought it was.

I'm live in Frederick. Great place to live. Almost worth three and a half hours in the car, every day.
View attachment 351 View attachment 353
View attachment 350 View attachment 352
View attachment 349
Aww that looks like a cute little German town!

I have said Houston on here before, which in itself is gigantic because the suburbs keep expanding, but living "in the city" is fairly limiting.

Aww that looks like a cute little German town!

I have said Houston on here before, which in itself is gigantic because the suburbs keep expanding, but living "in the city" is fairly limiting.
Actually, I drive through Germantown every day on the way to work. :D I was just there delivering some paperwork for the company.

I live in Frederick. Great place to live. Almost worth three-and-a-half hours in the car, every day.
View attachment 351 View attachment 353
View attachment 350 View attachment 352
View attachment 349

THIS traffic:
View attachment 354
Lovely :) And no I'm not the one with the machete, though there are several gangs that run about. Our street is thankfully a little quieter than most. Plus everyone was frightened of Holly. :( Miss that dog. They will likely be more frightened of Saorsa, especially once after she does her assistance training, we will be taking her to Schutzhund :p

Seriously though. No one in Houston knows how to drive in the rain. It's either "lets go 20 mph on the 60 mph highway" or "OMG I HAVE TO DODGE THE RAINDROPS AT 90 MPH" (I'm not even exaggerating). And heaven forbid there be ice anywhere. The city literally shuts down when there's ice. I had college classes cancelled.

Seriously though. No one in Houston knows how to drive in the rain. It's either "lets go 20 mph on the 60 mph highway" or "OMG I HAVE TO DODGE THE RAINDROPS AT 90 MPH" (I'm not even exaggerating). And heaven forbid there be ice anywhere. The city literally shuts down when there's ice. I had college classes cancelled.
Really? lol

Wow, that's quite extreme isn't it?

Lovely :) And no I'm not the one with the machete, though there are several gangs that run about. Our street is thankfully a little quieter than most. Plus everyone was frightened of Holly. :( Miss that dog. They will likely be more frightened of Saorsa, especially once after she does her assistance training, we will be taking her to Schutzhund :p
My street is not. We're right next to the fire station. But that first picture is Carroll Creek Park — that's where I go freerunning sometimes.
carroll creek aerial5x7.jpg

*shudders* TRAFFIC. OH HOW I HATE TRAFFIC.

In honor of the intense rain we've had here over the last 24 hours:
via Imgflip Meme Maker
That sounds like this area, when one snowflake touches the ground.

Really? lol

Wow, that's quite extreme isn't it?
No she's serious. This area is exactly the same. Only some people decide to dodge the raindrops at 90 mph (144 km), and others feel better-served going 10 mph (16 km) just to be safe.

Michigan people just do this — they don't care.
konig-rallyeq-03-lg.jpgSnowmobile-Trails-Funded.jpg

Last edited:
No she's serious. This area is exactly the same. Only some people decide to dodge the raindrops at 90 mph (144 km), and others feel better-served going 10 mph (16 km) just to be safe.
Lol thanks for translating the speeds. Yes, that's exactly what it's like driving here. Though I think if we got snow, they'd shut the whole roadways down!

Michigan people just do this — they don't care.
View attachment 357View attachment 358
Yeah, when we get bad snow we go out anyway but big HGV's tend to cause problems. We either just walk or try to drive (because no one grits the roads anymore) We usually just end up with slush though... me no likey slush :mad:
fb862126ab29c4e7ddf739d7d5379458_large.jpg

EDIT : I know that's non-UK slush :p

Yeah, when we get bad snow we go out anyway but big HGV's tend to cause problems. We either just walk or try to drive (because no one grits the roads anymore) We usually just end up with slush though... me no likey slush :mad:
fb862126ab29c4e7ddf739d7d5379458_large.jpg

EDIT : I know that's non-UK slush :p
I was going to say — that looks like around here, during the winter.

I was going to say — that looks like around here, during the winter.
We get that, but then the Clyde is salt water and it's less than 5 mins walk from my door. The flooding we get in Greenock is horrendous. There's houses up the hill that when the Greenock cut bursts it's banks just have to open their front and back door and let the water flow through. I'm not even kidding. They are trying to make it better but this is pretty much the rainiest place ever so it's an uphill battle.

This is pretty much winter around here — half the time there's a couple inches of snow on the ground — half the time bare dead grass.
2MTMall.jpg

washington-monument-at-sunset-small.jpg

Michigan, on the other hand...
detroit-blizzard.jpg

1092.jpg

A few years a go the Sunday Times did a series of features on people who did crazily long commutes. The one that stuck in my mind was a guy who lived in a farmhouse in Devon and drove to London to some dreary desk job every day. He'd leave before 5am to get to work about 8:30 and get home about 10pm.
I guess he thought he was a hero providing a lovely home for his family but his wife and kids can only ever have seen him on weekends - and then he was probably knackered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fun or Profit?

K

Writing for the literacy-challenged

Back